Goodbye, Illinois: residents are leaving for other states

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Almost 100,000 people moved out of Illinois last year. This is what happens when you have a state government riddled with corruption and cronyism and excessively high taxes providing poor public services.

Illinois suffered a net loss of 94,956 people in state-to-state migration last year, the highest rate in decades. That number is one part of an equation involving births, deaths and immigration from other countries that yields the overall population loss. But Illinois' state-to-state migration loss is the biggest contributor to that overall population decline, Frey says. The last year Illinois had lost population was 1987-88.

Of course they will take their politics with them and screw up other states

I understand Chicago is about to have a HUGE property tax increase. And that city tried to force the state to cover some of its bills.

Major city failings is the next wave after poor spending even poorer saving. And they enter the downward spiral of Metro death.
Higher taxes a smaller base.

Almost 100,000 people moved out of Illinois last year. This is what happens when you have a state government riddled with corruption and cronyism and excessively high taxes providing poor public services.

Illinois suffered a net loss of 94,956 people in state-to-state migration last year, the highest rate in decades. That number is one part of an equation involving births, deaths and immigration from other countries that yields the overall population loss. But Illinois' state-to-state migration loss is the biggest contributor to that overall population decline, Frey says. The last year Illinois had lost population was 1987-88.

I can't get the article to open (apparently requires registration) but this page says "Between July 1, 2013 to July 1, 2014, the state lost 9,972 people" which is about one-tenth what the title here says. Unfortunately it gives "a new report from the Census Bureau" as its source but has no link to said report.

Still notes Illinois lost more population than any other state, but speculating on why they're leaving is just that. Corruption, cronyism etc are in no way limited to Illinois. On the other hand --- it's Illinois.

I understand Chicago is about to have a HUGE property tax increase. And that city tried to force the state to cover some of its bills.

Major city failings is the next wave after poor spending even poorer saving. And they enter the downward spiral of Metro death.
Higher taxes a smaller base.
Earlier today, didn't I catch some video of protesters wanting to tax the rich more to cover the shortfall?

Sadly there are damn few states to move to anymore. Taxes and spending is out of control in most states blue and red. There's an unholy alliance between the politicians and the public sector unions. Elected officials who are sworn to represent the taxpayers instead collude with the public sector unions to raise taxes, they give the money to the unions, and the unions kick back part of the money to the politicians for their re-election campaigns. This is a huge conflict of interest that would never be allowed in the private sector.

Politicians are supposed to represent the taxpayers in negotiations with the public unions. Instead they pile on heaps of salary, benefit, and pension increases that taxpayers can't afford in exchange for votes. That's why so many public sector pension funds are way under funded.

In states like say NJ its no longer Dem vs Rep its taxpayers vs the government and their public employee union pals. In Oregon the state government is by far the largest employer in the state. In Washington state the government is trying to pass a carbon tax on the poor and middle class, all the money is earmarked for the public employee unions, shocker.

I'm fortunate that I can pack up and move and take my money and my job with me wherever I go. But there are honestly only a few states left to move to. States have become pretty creative at taking your money.

images

They've has been telling them to go to Iowa for the last couple three years because the coffers for welfare and the like are empty in Illinois... That's going to be true for Iowa soon at the present rate.

Makes a case for how government spending is not going to help when one of the biggest spenders from Illinois is currently sitting in the White House... and now he apparently has a blank check to write since last Friday.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Subscription Center | ChicagoBusiness.com

The number of business startups in Illinois jumped 4.7 percent to 421,908 businesses in the fourth quarter compared with a year earlier. The only state beating Illinois was Massachusetts—home of Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology—whose fourth-quarter number rose 5.6 percent to 236,091 businesses.

Education seems to be a common thread, said Robert Atkinson, president of the Washington-based Information Technology & Innovation Foundation, a research group that promotes innovation.

"One factor is that their university systems are all above average," Atkinson said.

Chicago universities ranked high on U.S. News & World Report's rankings of top U.S. academic research institutions released last September. The University of Chicago came in at No. 4 and Northwestern ranked No. 13.

Illinois fits that bill, aided by Chicago's status as one of the fastest-growing cities for technology jobs, with a rapidly-growing tech community in River North.

----------------------------------------

Before you attack a state, you should know more about it. Perhaps do a Google search? You could use the words "Business coming to Illinois".

The funny part comes with "education". We know what Republicans think of education. It's for snobs and it brainwashes you into thinking for yourself. Terrible.

No wonder why they have all the gun control in the world, but no criminal control...

Embrace the suck

No wonder why they have all the gun control in the world, but no criminal control...

Embrace the suck
Gun control in the city but not where the ignorant Redneck Hicks live surrounding Chicago in the rest of the state. Everyone knows that.

Forum List

Back