Goodbye Middle Class: 51 Percent Of All American Workers Make Less Than 30,000 Dollars A Year

How can you bitch about how much money people make and not want to raise the minimum wage?
People need upward mobility, something Democrats make difficult.

Actually people make upward mobility difficult on themselves.

The correlation between education and income is direct and irrefutable ... more ed means more income ... yet fully 70% of American adults have no better than a high school diploma (and some not even that).

Our economy has been producing fewer low-skill jobs for decades.
It is up to the individual to recognize that trend and gain more valuable skills.
Instead of making themselves more marketable they are demanding $15/hr. Like spoiled brats.

Odd how folks who work want to make a living. I don't get it. :rolleyes:
Odd how idiots want their high school summer job to take care of them the rest of their lives.

How can you bitch about how much money people make and not want to raise the minimum wage?

The correlation between education and income is direct and irrefutable ... more ed means more income ... yet fully 70% of American adults have no better than a high school diploma (and some not even that).

It is up to the individual to recognize that trend and gain more valuable skills.
Instead of making themselves more marketable they are demanding $15/hr. Like spoiled brats.

Odd how idiots want their high school summer job to take care of them the rest of their lives.

Except flipping burgers is no longer a high school summer job. I think the average age is now 29.

Because burger bouncers and fry flippers are not worth a $31,000 per year salary by any twist of logic.

I guess that's where we disagree. I think they are worth it. Just think, higher pay, and the less tax payers have to subsidize these low paid individuals with SNAP and other benefits.

Unfortunately that is just not the case. Higher gov't mandated bottom wages will ripple through the entire wage scale meaning higher prices. As the cost of living rises the "safety net" threshold will also rise and the same people now getting "SNAP and other benefits will still want them.

Too many elected officials see these programs - confiscating the wealth of some to benefit others - as the easy road to election victory.

I mean, just look at the buzz Bernie is generating among the "hey, you have more than me ... gimme some" generation.

"Democracy can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits." - attribution disputed

Or put another way:

The American Republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money.

We are there:

INEPTOCRACY - (Noun) a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or even try are rewarded - in exchange for their votes - with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Except flipping burgers is no longer a high school summer job. I think the average age is now 29.

Most of those have college degrees in things like liberal arts, fine arts and sociology.

Most of those have college degrees in things like liberal arts, fine arts and sociology.

I'll wait here for a credible link.

1gUewPk.jpg

Because burger bouncers and fry flippers are not worth a $31,000 per year salary by any twist of logic.

It does if one is not signing the paychecks.

Tax payers are already making up the difference.

And will still be required to unless we break the chain of dependency.

The economy - both wages and prices - will ratchet up to accommodate the new min wage paradigm and those on the bottom will still be on the bottom and, in the view of some, in need of gov't bennies.

Giving people fish won't break that chain.

Having them learn to fish will.

People are going to look back fondly on the Obama years when they had to flip burgers because they could find no other work.

I did as a mason...

Because you aren't trying.

Too many realize they could work 50 hours/wk and earn $40,000/yr (taking home $33,000) or work 30 hours/wk and, with gov't bennies, make nearly the same money.

They have no sense of responsibility toward those who truly need our help and are selfishly gaming the system.

Especially since, in the past, increases in the minimum wage has resulted in more jobs.

Yeah, because when the gov't decides to double the federal min wage, I suddenly realize I need a second floor sweeper!

Given the serious rush to $15/hr cashiers, I suspect we will be seeing an equally serious rush to robotics thus hastening the permanent elimination of millions of min wage jobs (not that loony libs care).

At least the robot manufacturers will do well ... seems like a good time to invest.

As soon as they figure out how to replace people with robots, they're going to do it anyway.

At the current pace, people have a chance to gain marketable skills and get out of the way of technological progress.

You don't seem to care that doubling the min wage will hasten the end of many entry and exit level jobs, leaving the least capable among us with no viable options.

I mean, why would any rational, thinking American who claims to care about them want to do that?

Why get a college degree, it does not make you any more valued of a worker than a guy that does not have one?

I guess that's where we disagree. I think they are worth it. Just think, higher pay, and the less tax payers have to subsidize these low paid individuals with SNAP and other benefits.

Unfortunately that is just not the case. Higher gov't mandated bottom wages will ripple through the entire wage scale meaning higher prices. As the cost of living rises the "safety net" threshold will also rise and the same people now getting "SNAP and other benefits will still want them.

Too many elected officials see these programs - confiscating the wealth of some to benefit others - as the easy road to election victory.

I mean, just look at the buzz Bernie is generating among the "hey, you have more than me ... gimme some" generation.

"Democracy can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits." - attribution disputed

Or put another way:

The American Republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money.

We are there:

INEPTOCRACY - (Noun) a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or even try are rewarded - in exchange for their votes - with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Bernie is addressing income inequality, as he should. The degree of income inequality in this country is unhealthy, and he is correct when he says income inequality is the widest since the 1920's.

Companies are not going to out price themselves. That notion is silly.

No one is confiscating wealth.

Raising the minimum wage has little to no negative effect on employment and higher wages sharply reduces employee turnover which is good for business.

The minimum wage was always supposed to keep up with inflation.

When will Middle Class people wake the hell up and defend their economic rights CLEAN of leftwing Marxist bullshit?

Goodbye Middle Class: 51 Percent Of All American Workers Make Less Than 30,000 Dollars A Year

The following are some of the numbers that really stood out for me…

-38 percent of all American workers made less than $20,000 last year.

-51 percent of all American workers made less than $30,000 last year.

-62 percent of all American workers made less than $40,000 last year.

-71 percent of all American workers made less than $50,000 last year
That study cites individuals in it. The question "how to support a family" is not in context. A family usually has two income earners.

Especially since, in the past, increases in the minimum wage has resulted in more jobs.

Yeah, because when the gov't decides to double the federal min wage, I suddenly realize I need a second floor sweeper!

Given the serious rush to $15/hr cashiers, I suspect we will be seeing an equally serious rush to robotics thus hastening the permanent elimination of millions of min wage jobs (not that loony libs care).

At least the robot manufacturers will do well ... seems like a good time to invest.

As soon as they figure out how to replace people with robots, they're going to do it anyway.

At the current pace, people have a chance to gain marketable skills and get out of the way of technological progress.

You don't seem to care that doubling the min wage will hasten the end of many entry and exit level jobs, leaving the least capable among us with no viable options.

I mean, why would any rational, thinking American who claims to care about them want to do that?

That's simply not true. The claim that raising the minimum wage will cost jobs has been studied the most in economics and is the easiest claim to disprove.

http://www.cepr.net/documents/publications/min-wage-2013-02.pdf

Because you aren't trying.

Too many realize they could work 50 hours/wk and earn $40,000/yr (taking home $33,000) or work 30 hours/wk and, with gov't bennies, make nearly the same money.

They have no sense of responsibility toward those who truly need our help and are selfishly gaming the system.

You just pulled those numbers out of your ass.

That's simply not true. The claim that raising the minimum wage will cost jobs has been studied the most in economics and is the easiest claim to disprove.

http://www.cepr.net/documents/publications/min-wage-2013-02.pdf

Here is an excerpt from the very document you reference: "Given the relatively small cost to employers of modest increases in the minimum wage, these adjustment mechanisms appear to be more than sufficient to avoid employment losses, even for employers with a large share of low-wage workers." From $7.25 to $15.00 not modest in any way. It is monumental. So even if I believed the report from the self described "progressive" think tank you provided, it's invalid.

Tough titty. That they are unskilled at age 29 does not entitle them to wages commensurate with skilled labor, nor should those employers be expected to financially cover their employees' lifetime lack of ambition.

Tough titty. That they are unskilled at age 29 does not entitle them to wages commensurate with skilled labor, nor should those employers be expected to financially cover their employees' lifetime lack of ambition.

Then tax payers will continue to subsidize these workers instead of companies like Walmart and McDonald's who can certainly afford to pay their help better.

how many more will loose jobs or at least hour if a min wage goes into effect?

Then tax payers will continue to subsidize these workers instead of companies like Walmart and McDonald's who can certainly afford to pay their help better.

Why are we subsidizing anyone? Charity is not a constitutionally-mandated power.

Forum List

Back