GOP Constitutional Amendment: Guns for Felons, Rapists and Murderers. Good Job!

Course Republicans see things different. They are thinking about the rights of the rapist.

Actually, that would be gun-control supporters.

and-intruder-wouldnt-try-to-disarm-this-woman-your-elected-representatives-promised-to-do-it-for-him-500x305.jpg

But you don't support a woman's right to choose to defend herself, do you?

45565_492286034155091_1421784677_n.jpg

New Orleans judge rules statute forbidding felons from having firearms unconstitutional after 'fundamental right' amendment

An Orleans Parish judge on Thursday ruled that the state statute forbidding certain felons from possessing firearms is unconstitutional, in the wake of a constitutional amendment passed last year that made the right to bear arms a fundamental one in Louisiana

Derbigny ruled that the entire statute -- RS 14:95.1 -- was unconstitutional after voters last year approved by a sweeping majority a constitutional amendment backed by the National Rifle Association. That bill made gun ownership a "fundamental right," on the same level as freedom of speech or religion.

A court interpreting any law restricting a fundamental right -- as gun ownership is now considered -- must approach it with "strict scrutiny," the highest level of judicial scrutiny.

Gov. Bobby Jindal wrote an op-ed too, but his exhorted voters to pass the amendment, which he described as "an ironclad guarantee of freedom here in Louisiana."

In a prepared statement Thursday, the Jindal administration said: "We disagree with the judge's ruling. The amendment passed last session is not in conflict with Louisiana or federal law barring felons from owning guns."

Cannizzaro's office, meanwhile, offered an "I told you so" statement.

"District Attorney Cannizzaro predicted that the passing of this amendment would cause prosecutors across the state to go to court and defend the constitutionality of 14:95.1," Bowman said Thursday.

Loyola Law School professor Dane Ciolino said it's not unusual for constitutional amendments to have consequences voters may not have foreseen.

----------------------------------------------------------
Every time I post one of these stories about another Republican fuck-up, USMB Republicans scream I'm biased and "just plain mean".

bobby jindal amends constitution - guns for felons

I'm telling you, I couldn't make this shit up. It simply doesn't occur to me. The GOP is the party of "We Fucked Up". It's what they do. What is it they are thinking? Or do they think? Damn.

Why do you hate black people?

By the way, the law was passed by all the voters in Louisiana, not just the Republicans

Last edited:
New Orleans judge rules statute forbidding felons from having firearms unconstitutional after 'fundamental right' amendment

An Orleans Parish judge on Thursday ruled that the state statute forbidding certain felons from possessing firearms is unconstitutional, in the wake of a constitutional amendment passed last year that made the right to bear arms a fundamental one in Louisiana

Derbigny ruled that the entire statute -- RS 14:95.1 -- was unconstitutional after voters last year approved by a sweeping majority a constitutional amendment backed by the National Rifle Association. That bill made gun ownership a "fundamental right," on the same level as freedom of speech or religion.

A court interpreting any law restricting a fundamental right -- as gun ownership is now considered -- must approach it with "strict scrutiny," the highest level of judicial scrutiny.

Gov. Bobby Jindal wrote an op-ed too, but his exhorted voters to pass the amendment, which he described as "an ironclad guarantee of freedom here in Louisiana."

In a prepared statement Thursday, the Jindal administration said: "We disagree with the judge's ruling. The amendment passed last session is not in conflict with Louisiana or federal law barring felons from owning guns."

"District Attorney Cannizzaro predicted that the passing of this amendment would cause prosecutors across the state to go to court and defend the constitutionality of 14:95.1," Bowman said Thursday.

Loyola Law School professor Dane Ciolino said it's not unusual for constitutional amendments to have consequences voters may not have foreseen.

Every time I post one of these stories about another Republican fuck-up, USMB Republicans scream I'm biased and "just plain mean".

I'm telling you, I couldn't make this shit up. It simply doesn't occur to me. The GOP is the party of "We Fucked Up". It's what they do. What is it they are thinking? Or do they think? Damn.

By the way, the law was passed by all the voters in Louisiana, not just the Republicans

I'm sure it was 100%. Every single one.

State's rights

Don't like it?
Don't move there

Simple really

I'm sure it was 100%. Every single one.

What?

Umm, the judge who issued the convoluted ruling is a democrat. Maybe he needs to take a refresher course to learn that there are legitimate restrictions on firearms possessions that nobody in their right mind disputes. Driving a car is a basic right. Would the dopey judge rule that drunks should be able to drive?

Driving is not listed in the state constitution.

you will find travel in the articles of confederation

Forum List

Back