GOP judges overturn death penalty for man who tossed kids off a bridge

Oldguy

Sep 25, 2012
Texas
The Alabama Circuit Court of Criminal Appeals has overturned the death penalty conviction of a Vietnamese man who tossed his 4 children off a bridge, resulting in their deaths. They claim publicity about the case denied the defendant a fair trial.

All 5 sitting members of the court are elected Republican conservatives.

What happened to the right's "tough on crime" and pro-death penalty ideology? I thought it was only touchy-feely, liberal progressives who let people off the hook? I mean, after all, the man didn't even bother denying that he did it, and now he gets a new day in court...thanks to "conservative" judges?

What gives?

Conviction overturned in Alabama bridge deaths | Fox News

The Alabama Circuit Court of Criminal Appeals has overturned the death penalty conviction of a Vietnamese man who tossed his 4 children off a bridge, resulting in their deaths. They claim publicity about the case denied the defendant a fair trial.

What happened to the right's "tough on crime" and pro-death penalty ideology? I thought it was only touchy-feely, liberal progressives who let people off the hook? I mean, after all, the man didn't even bother denying that he did it, and now he gets a new day in court...thanks to "conservative" judges?

What gives?

Are you really this stupid? I mean really? I don't recall you whining when 5 of 7 democrats all decided to violate the Florida Constitution and its laws in 2000. That was a clear cut case, the law was specificas to what the Judges had to do yet they voted to violate the law and the State Constitution and people like you cheered.

In this case if 5 of them agreed then it would appear there was some agreement that the man in question got railroaded, so explain to me why the supposed compassionate Liberal that you are is opposed to a new trial? I mean if the facts are as cut and dried as you claim, how does a new trial change the verdict?

Many conservatives believe the state should not have the power of life and death over its citizens. I'm one of them.

What gives?

I thought Republicans valued the lives of innocent children?

But at the same time, if the media coverage could have affected his chance for a fair trial, then the ruling was fair.

I think the OP needs to seek professional help for his "Conservative Derangement Syndrome". Maybe you could get disability for that.

What gives?

Why does a tough on crime position demand ignoring the law?

What gives?

But at the same time, if the media coverage could have affected his chance for a fair trial, then the ruling was fair.

Nah, they only care about fetuses. Once you're born, you're on your own.

It is interesting to hear a few conservatives coming out as being against the death penalty though. That is a true rarity.

If someone would put a freaking muzzle on those media idiots shit like this wouldn't happen.

What gives?

What is your problem? Don't you like judges who believe our justice system is sacred and that all laws need to be followed to ensure that each of us are entitled to a fair trial?

The guy is getting a new day in court and things will go by the book now.

I fully agree that publicity prior to any trial tends to taint the jury pool. I hate prosecutors who use the media to try the defendants before they set foot in the courtroom.

Wouldn't you prefer that your rights were fully protected if you were accused of something?

I know many in the media think they are the judges and juries of people. That is why the former IMF Chief was forced to resign after having bogus charges leveled at him. If I didn't know better, I'd think the Obama administration paid off the maid to make false accusations just so Obama could get his guy in. And the media obliged, as always.

The man is getting a new trial because we have rules in place to protect our right to a fair trial. If anyone, even the most guilty, is denied that, all of us should feel threatened. Prosecutors need to learn that they can't do as they please just to win. We have laws that need to be adhered to and you simply cannot criticize judges for doing so. It's real easy for some to demand that criminals' rights be stripped, but they forget that either we all have rights or none of us do. It's not a selective deal.

Just the fact that you feigned shock at conservatives thinking the way these judges do tells me you understand nothing about the right.

It's sad that you can't see the difference between judges following the law as they are supposed to and other judges who take matters into their own hands and give light sentences or legislate from the bench. These judges know what their role is and they are sticking to it. Can't say the same for the liberal judges.

Last edited:

What gives?

What is your problem? Don't you like judges who believe our justice system is sacred and that all laws need to be followed to ensure that each of us are entitled to a fair trial?

The guy is getting a new day in court and things will go by the book now.

I fully agree that publicity prior to any trial tends to taint the jury pool. I hate prosecutors who use the media to try the defendants before they set foot in the courtroom.

Wouldn't you prefer that your rights were fully protected if you were accused of something?

I know many in the media think they are the judges and juries of people. That is why the former IMF Chief was forced to resign after having bogus charges leveled at him. If I didn't know better, I'd think the Obama administration paid off the maid to make false accusations just so Obama could get his guy in. And the media obliged, as always.

The man is getting a new trial because we have rules in place to protect our right to a fair trial. If anyone, even the most guilty, is denied that, all of us should feel threatened. Prosecutors need to learn that they can't do as they please just to win. We have laws that need to be adhered to and you simply cannot criticize judges for doing so. It's real easy for some to demand that criminals' rights be stripped, but they forget that either we all have rights or none of us do. It's not a selective deal.

Just the fact that you feigned shock at conservatives thinking the way these judges do tells me you understand nothing about the right.

It's sad that you can't see the difference between judges following the law as they are supposed to and other judges who take matters into their own hands and give light sentences or legislate from the bench. These judges know what their role is and they are sticking to it. Can't say the same for the liberal judges.

I don't have a problem with their ruling. I just wanted to see how many Nutter's would come here and defend what they rage against when it's so-called liberal judges.

For instance, if this ruling were made by the 9th federal Circuit Court, instead of the Alabama Circuit, this thread would already be 10 pages of outrage, horror and Obama/liberal/progressive conspiracy theories. There would be paens about the virtues of conservative judges and probably threats of rebellion by now.

But, predictably, there isn't. As usual, when confronted with clear-cut evidence that conservative judges can be just as soft on crime as the most ardent liberal, our resident righties either stay away in droves or suddenly find a new love and respect for the law which they've never shown before.

It's appallingly funny, yet tragic at the same time, that so many here are so beholden to a twisted and perverted ideology that they'd swallow arsenic before admitting their brand of "conservatism" is little different from the liberalism they claim to hate.

What gives?

Your fail gives.

Two of the five are currently appointed.

From your link:
Days before jury selection, Luong said he wanted to plead guilty but he ended up withdrawing that decision.

The trial judge denied requests by Luong's defense lawyers to move the trial outside of Mobile County.

"... Luong was denied his constitutional right to an impartial jury. Therefore, we must reverse Luong's convictions and sentence of death and remand this case for a new trial."

He'll still be found guilty.

What is tragic is using the death of four small children for political folly.

What gives?

Your fail gives.

From your link:
Days before jury selection, Luong said he wanted to plead guilty but he ended up withdrawing that decision.

The trial judge denied requests by Luong's defense lawyers to move the trial outside of Mobile County.

"... Luong was denied his constitutional right to an impartial jury. Therefore, we must reverse Luong's convictions and sentence of death and remand this case for a new trial."

Appointed or elected, is this what we can expect from "conservative" judges? Nobody doubts the guy's guilt. He admitted throwing his children off a bridge, yet he's suddenly given another chance to walk free because people were aghast that he'd done it and talked about it?

This is a perversion of justice and any rational person knows it.

Far as I'm concerned if the scumbag confessed we don't need one trail let alone two. Give the scumbag his 9oz's and be done with it. It's ridiculous that the tax payer has to feed, clothe, guard and pay for the defense and prosecution for scumbags who are either caught red handed or who confess. These costs, especially if the death penalty is involved, can run into the tens of millions of dollars. A 9mm costs the govt less than 2 cents. Do the math. Put a bullet in the piece of craps head and use the money we would have spent on his prosecution, care and defense to feed some hungry kids.

Your fail gives.

From your link:

Appointed or elected, is this what we can expect from "conservative" judges? Nobody doubts the guy's guilt. He admitted throwing his children off a bridge, yet he's suddenly given another chance to walk free because people were aghast that he'd done it and talked about it?

This is a perversion of justice and any rational person knows it.

How is "Luong was denied his constitutional right to an impartial jury." a perversion of justice?

We can thank the MSM for this extra expense. Maybe the government could sue those that published stories prior to trial and retrieve damages. One or two instances of that happening would cut down on this tabloid shit we read.

But...that would not bode well with the freedom of speech thingy we have going.

Last edited:

What gives?

A new trial does not mean he will walk. It just means he gets a field trip a few times a month. I don't understand your surprise here with you coming from Texas and all where pedo's are allowed to run free to reoffend multiple times no matter the political alignment of the judges. We also have libs attempting to normalize child molestation out east with their b-4 uact movement. Nothing to be surprised about here at all.

What gives?

It is interesting to hear a few conservatives coming out as being against the death penalty though. That is a true rarity.

Add me too that list,there are lots of conservatives that are against capital punishment.
The left just has selective hearing.

No matter how many times,this gets trotted out,it will never magically become the truth. Why are people, that so causally discard our most valuable treasures,are able to lie so easily and so much?What is wrong with them??

Forum List

Back