GOP senators John Cornyn, Josh Hawley, & John Thune defend AR-15 rifles: Used to shoot prairie dogs

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
i agree with the 3 J's. i don't personally own an AR-15, but i respect people who do, and their right to do so, i'm sure they have their reasons. who am i to infringe on their constitutional right?

i agree with the 3 J's. i don't personally own an AR-15, but i respect people who do, and their right to do so, i'm sure they have their reasons. who am i to infringe on their constitutional right?

Oh shut the damn bitches up! Just because some kid who slipped through 10,000 fingers who SHOULD have caught that kid on their radar as a gun risk used an AR-15, now they think the whole country should give them up!

Then when the next shooter used as AK-47, they will expect all those be confiscated or turned in!

Then they will be after shotguns, Glocks, Barettas, Colts, Taurus, Winchester, H&K-- -- -- it will never end.

Giving up guns is never the answer because once you accept THAT as your solution, you must ultimately give up ALL guns!

Of course, all except the government and the criminals (I know, small difference).

Then of course as we give up arm after arm and the shootings don't stop and crime soars, no democrat in the history of the planet has ever said: STOP! This isn't working!

No, instead, you know what they will say: "We simply have no confiscated enough!!!"

Ar-15s are used to hunt prairie dogs. It doesn’t surprise me that some talking head on CNN doesn’t know that. She likely seriously believes an AR-15 is only good for killing people.

If you have a prairie dog problem, look no further.

Prairie dogs are a nuisance, and landowners and ranchers are more than happy to allow people to get some target practice on ground squirrels digging burrows on their property. As such, they've probably been shot with, well, everything.

***snip***

Medium-Range Hunting

For medium-range shots, it's hard to beat a .223 Remington, and there isn't a better rifle for that cartridge than an AR-15. An AR doesn't need any special accessories or features to be a good prairie dog gun, as decent irons or a scope will get the job done. The .223 was originally marketed as a varmint round, largely because they can handle prairie dogs out to 450 yards with the proper optics, or good irons and really good eyes. With standard 30-round mags, you can wipe out a whole lot of prairie dogs in short order.

The following article on hunting with AR rifes also mentions prairie dogs.

***snip***

Most of my hunting with an AR-15 has been varmint hunting. Countless prairie dogs were taken over many years in the desert and, to a lesser degree, many jackrabbits found themselves victim to my handloads. While I’ve switched platforms several times, I still love hunting with autoloaders, whether it be Wyoming antelope with the 6mm ARC, or Rocky Mountain elk with a 6.5 Creedmoor, or even a sneaky mule deer with a sub-sonic .450 Bushmaster.

Don’t fall for the story that they are just range toys or wanna-be military weapons. A good AR is an extremely valuable hunting tool when outfitted properly and trained with appropriately.

With modern service rifles shooting as good as they do, you can spend all day on a dog town in South Dakota popping pasture puppies with deadly accuracy.

People can hunt with what they want to but why ITF would you want to hunt with an AR?
You just obliterated the meat?

Not with a small .223 round.
Larger rounds, very true.
BS.
The velocity of a .223 round causes much more damage to the surrounding tissue than a 9mm.
The 5.56 is much worse.

It sucks for hunting anything you may want to eat.
Stick to a .22.

Shooting feral hogs is also a justification for AR-15s

You can google "invasive feral hogs" to see how they damage property and food supplies
Feral hogs are also considered dangerous game.

You can google "invasive feral hogs" to see how they damage property and food supplies
Next you mouth breather's will claim you need an AR to shoot "feral" pigeons.

You think people believe this shit about needing an AR to shoot feral hogs?

BS.
The velocity of a .223 round causes much more damage to the surrounding tissue than a 9mm.
The 5.56 is much worse.

It sucks for hunting anything you may want to eat.
Stick to a .22.
What game are you talking about?
A .22 won't bring down a feral hog, or a deer.

Next you mouth breather's will claim you need an AR to shoot "feral" pigeons.
You think people believe this shit about needing an AR to shoot feral hogs?
Its a fact. Feral hogs are all over, are very dangerous, and travel in large groups, so you really do need an AR.
Search for them on youtube.

What game are you talking about?
All of them.
But in this case a prairie dog.
A .22 won't bring down a feral hog, or a deer.
Not the feral hogs of today, they are mutants, I heard most of them bread with Russian pigs, their snouts got twice as big as the ones I used to hunt and they try attack you.
Not the ones I hunted they would run.

People can hunt with what they want to but why ITF would you want to hunt with an AR?
You just obliterated the meat?

Not if you know how to shoot ... :auiqs.jpg:

52118757015_640979977b_z.jpg

It doesn't matter if you want to use a
Springfield AR-10 Saint Victor .308 or a Browning Gold Medalion Bolt Action .308

It's the same .308 round, it will efficiently kill a man-sized creature ...
And the Second Amendment isn't about hunting deer or prairie dogs.

Last edited:

Not if you know how to shoot ... :auiqs.jpg:

52118757015_640979977b_z.jpg

It doesn't matter if you want to use a
Springfield AR-10 Saint Victor .308 or a Browning Gold Medalion Bolt Action .308​
Yes, but those are .308 rounds, not 5.56 or .223 rounds.

It's the same .308 round, it will efficiently kill a man-sized creature ...​
No, it isn't.
The only one that you can use in an AR is called a .300 blackout round.

300 Blackout is essentially a .308 bullet in a .223 case neck sized to accept the .308 diameter bullets used in the .308 Winchester cartridge. Obviously 300 blackout is much less powerful than the .308 Winchester.

And the Second Amendment isn't about hunting deer or prairie dogs.
Militia's have to eat.

Its a fact. Feral hogs are all over, are very dangerous, and travel in large groups, so you really do need an AR.
Search for them on youtube.

Since they are also legal quadrupeds and can be taken in any manner in a lot of places ...
You can often have better luck hunting them at night with an infra-red scope.

Fine, you need an AR to hunt feral hogs to protect your property? Get the proper training & licensing to hunt them with an endorsement for that use. I understand the need for landowners to protect their property from feral hogs which are a menace.

Get caught with an AR outside hunting grounds, the weapon is confiscated. Problem solved.

Yes, but those are .308 rounds, not 5.56 or .223 rounds.

No, it isn't.
The only one that you can use in an AR is called a .300 blackout round.

300 Blackout is essentially a .308 bullet in a .223 case neck sized to accept the .308 diameter bullets used in the .308 Winchester cartridge. Obviously 300 blackout is much less powerful than the .308 Winchester.

Militia's have to eat.

You can hunt with a .223, 5.56, 7.62x39 or 7.62x51(.308) in an AR platform.
I chose the .308 because it is the largest round of those and is a common round for the bolt action.

We don't need to discuss what is available or ballistics ... Because I even make my own cartridges ... :auiqs.jpg:

52131975195_20afdd23d4_z.jpg

You can hunt with a .223, 5.56, 7.62x39 or 7.62x51(.308) in an AR platform.
I chose the .308 because it is the largest round of those and is a common round for the bolt action.

We don't need to discuss what is available or ballistics ... Because I even make my own cartridges ... :auiqs.jpg:

52131975195_20afdd23d4_z.jpg

Good for you, even with a ".308' round unless you hit a deer in the lungs, you have ruined meat.

Good for you, even with a ".308' round unless you hit a deer in the lungs, you have ruined meat.

I said that ... "Not if you know how to shoot" ... :auiqs.jpg:

Any shot that isn't a kill shot runs the risk of tearing up the meat.
The heart and lungs are the target ... You don't want to mess up the meat or end up chasing a wounded deer through the backwoods.

Every deer hunter who has been hunting for a while is at least an amateur sniper.
We have the firearms, and we know how to kill things at a considerable distance.
We know stealth, camouflage and the woods.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back