Government Free Zones: The Workplace.

Do you want government to be hands off on business?

• Government should only protect corporate interests.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Government should only protect the interests of labor.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The government's role is to make fair laws and regulations and oversee them. They have so far been unable to do that. I don't think attempting to micromanage businesses and people by hiring more and more bureaucrats is the answer.

The unions supposedly look out for the workers, or are you saying that they are part of the government?

Of course, in a better economy, people leave jobs that don't offer much and find another one. These days a person is lucky if they can find a job anywhere.

The government, on the whole, has done a fairly decent job of making fair laws and regulations. The fact that the US is the number one economy proves that out.

Unions aren't part of the government and I don't know how you came up with that.

The problem over the last 30 years or so, is that the government has been relaxing regulations and weakening Unions. As a result, wages for non executives have been flat, jobs are moving overseas, we've been seeing escalating incidents of work place accidents and economic calamities.

Yet conservatives and libertarians are clamoring for even more deregulation and government inaction. This despite the fact that the middle class has been shrinking.

I'm just interested to know, how deep is the rabbit hole.

State centralized planned economy is really bad....

Cuba
North Korea
Burma
China

Doesn't work to good for Africa either.

Every nation that liberalizes(economic freedom) = a stronger economy.

Your comments are unrelated to the OP.

Try again.

Cuba
North Korea
Burma
China

Your comments are unrelated to the OP.

Try again.

Not one conservative or libertarian can honestly address this.

Why?

Because, honestly?

Non of them really want it.

The year is 2013 not 1913, you retire or something?

That's not the topic of the thread.

Yes it is I work in manufacturing for the past 30 years it has changed till the point of Unions are useless and not needed. Unions and just the thought of Osha comming in makes managers and H.R. aware of todays bussiness world they always stress saftey now a days above everything else.

Bear, were the Unions to totally go away, the protections in the workplace would do the same.

Cuba
North Korea
Burma
China

Well, yes and no. The trans-continental railroad and Interstate Highway System were both examples of a state planned project with huge economic implications.

Perhaps the level of planning is what counts. Putting the bidding out for the individual projects involved in these projects created competition to do it as cheaply as possible. Having government regulations as to the quality that had to be acheived meant it was done right most of the time.

The government's role is to make fair laws and regulations and oversee them. They have so far been unable to do that. I don't think attempting to micromanage businesses and people by hiring more and more bureaucrats is the answer.

The unions supposedly look out for the workers, or are you saying that they are part of the government?

Of course, in a better economy, people leave jobs that don't offer much and find another one. These days a person is lucky if they can find a job anywhere.

Where I work, we have high paying, 75k to 150K jobs going begging. But you have to be an experianced millwright or electrician. The problem is that todays jobs are not the old labor jobs of the past. Even the lowest person on the factory floor where I work has to be computer literate.

Where I work, we have high paying, 75k to 150K jobs going begging. But you have to be an experianced millwright or electrician. The problem is that todays jobs are not the old labor jobs of the past. Even the lowest person on the factory floor where I work has to be computer literate.

When I was looking for a job last year..what companies were looking for was ridiculous.

They wanted network, application, database, system admins all rolled into one. And they were paying wages lower than any of those jobs.

It's insane.

Forum List

Back