Government mandates on food consumption.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
New York can limit the size of your Pepsi or tell you how much salt can be on your food in a restaurant.

BUT if we try to prevent people on welfare from buying junk food, candy or pop with OUR TAX DOLLARS we're considered cruel.

Paying customers food decisions are regulated but that same supposed concern for health is tossed out the window when talking about welfare.

Explain this logic failure

New York can limit the size of your Pepsi or tell you how much salt can be on your food in a restaurant.

BUT if we try to prevent people on welfare from buying junk food, candy or pop with OUR TAX DOLLARS we're considered cruel.

Paying customers food decisions are regulated but that same supposed concern for health is tossed out the window when talking about welfare.

"I want to be controlling just like the authoritarians in NYC and I'm mad I can't be".

Explained?

Governments need to get out of the business of telling anyone how to live their personal lives. Give these “virtuous guardians” an inch and they'll steal a mile. They don't seem to have anything better to do than to sit on their worthless asses dreaming up new restrictions for a free society.

I don't happen to believe that junk food and pop are good things to stuff your pie hole with, but I believe in your right to do it.

You're advocating making the problem worse by limiting peoples choices. If we are to make welfare recipients limited to what they can purchase, or not purchase, then there should be no complaint about what happens in NVC, or whatever city you live in.

We need to go back to the old USDA staple boxes. Even bringing back the FtF program would be fine.

FarmerstoFamiliesFoodBox.jpg

I'd eat it! Rapa-brand Scrapple is awesome.

download-86-1536x1152.jpeg

Hell if it was delivered door to door by Doordash we would be farther ahead.

Trouble is it's the grocery/EBT lobby that ends-up killing all such programs that make sense....What do you think the various "Dollar" stores base their business models on?

I can't explain it. I'm going to have to wait for a lefty to explain it.

What if they developed a special aisle for welfare recipients, or those using government assistance (Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Plan - SNAP) where only government mandated items seen as "nutritional", as determined by the Food and Drug Administration, can be purchased by those using SNAP. And perhaps you can put a limit on the amount per month that must be spent in this aisle. There are a multitude of ways to determine how government mandated money can be spent but critiquing someones food choices, to say nothing of their weight, is a great way to get canceled.

Believe me, you do not want the government to restrict anyone's eating habits. The next thing you know you will have to eat plant grown "meat" and a side of crickets.

Believe me, you do not want the government to restrict anyone's eating habits. The next thing you know you will have to eat plant grown "meat" and a side of crickets.

They can be dipped, battered, and fried up like anything else.

When Justice Kagan was testifying prior to being confirmed for the USSC, she was asked if a law requiring us to "eat our peas," would be constitutional. She said it would "be a pretty dumb law," but found no constitutional issue.

Enumerated Powers? Nope.

What if they developed a special aisle for welfare recipients, or those using government assistance (Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Plan - SNAP) where only government mandated items seen as "nutritional", as determined by the Food and Drug Administration, can be purchased by those using SNAP. And perhaps you can put a limit on the amount per month that must be spent in this aisle. There are a multitude of ways to determine how government mandated money can be spent but critiquing someones food choices, to say nothing of their weight, is a great way to get canceled.
Great idea, actually. Or maybe a room in the back of the store so the dolees can come up to a rear warehouse door and tell the person behind the counter what they want.

That would make for a shorter walk back to their Cadillac Escalade.

Then they could go into the front entrance to complete their shop(lift)ing for non SNAP approved items.

Look, this is all just arguing how much control we want to cede to the federal government....I'd say as I have for 30 years. People that need welfare assistance should have to attend mandatory training in the trades, Job placement, and a 6 month window of being on the program...

Forum List

Back