• Gray

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I avoid the controversy by using "light black"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rutabaga

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Fucking "rutabaga"?

I absolutely REFUSE to EVER participate in any poll which does not include "mango" as an option.

"Grey", usually.

I was reeeeeeally tempted to go full rutabaga. But to be honest I usually lean to grey. But it depends on the vowel movement in context.

Also my empirical impression is that when it's a proper name it's usually Gray....

Let me check my drivers license. B-A-L-D

Historical Footnote

According to an interesting and authoritative note in the Oxford English Dictionary, the spelling "gray" was championed by Samuel Johnson, English writer and lexicographer and other English lexicographers; but in the twentieth century "grey" became the established spelling in Britain anyway.

Meanwhile, in the United States, "gray" became standard somewhat earlier. Examining two nineteenth-century U.S. dictionaries--Webster's Academic Dictionary (1867) and Webster's Condensed Dictionary (~1897)--and both include entries for "grey" that refer readers to "gray" for the term's definitions. So what is the difference between grey and gray? On the one hand, this indicates an early preference in the United States (or at least at Merriam-Webster) for "gray"; but on the other, it suggests an incomplete victory, since British spellings such as "labour" and "labelled" don't appear in those dictionaries at all.

How do you spell the color Grey or Gray? Which is correct, "grey" or "gray" spelling?

-----------

Let me check my drivers license. B-A-L-D

Historical Footnote

According to an interesting and authoritative note in the Oxford English Dictionary, the spelling "gray" was championed by Samuel Johnson, English writer and lexicographer and other English lexicographers; but in the twentieth century "grey" became the established spelling in Britain anyway.

Meanwhile, in the United States, "gray" became standard somewhat earlier. Examining two nineteenth-century U.S. dictionaries--Webster's Academic Dictionary (1867) and Webster's Condensed Dictionary (~1897)--and both include entries for "grey" that refer readers to "gray" for the term's definitions. So what is the difference between grey and gray? On the one hand, this indicates an early preference in the United States (or at least at Merriam-Webster) for "gray"; but on the other, it suggests an incomplete victory, since British spellings such as "labour" and "labelled" don't appear in those dictionaries at all.

How do you spell the color Grey or Gray? Which is correct, "grey" or "gray" spelling?

-----------

I read that too. Surprised me. I've always used 'grey'.

How do you spell it?

"I - T".

What'd I win?
How do you spell it?

"I - T".

What'd I win?
You win a seegar, Pogo.

:eusa_clap: A true Walt Kelly post. Huzzah.
8516596845_24b6b0ccaa_z.jpg

Forum List

Back