growing giant pumpkins.

I have a pretty nice plant in the ground right now with a couple of backups. My personal best was 162 lbs two years ago. They all failed last year. I think I put them in too soon and they got hit by a touch of frost.

Have you ever tried milk-feeding them?

I have a pretty nice plant in the ground right now with a couple of backups. My personal best was 162 lbs two years ago. They all failed last year. I think I put them in too soon and they got hit by a touch of frost.
My nickname is the Great Pumpkin. laugh.
you know what folks mean about that? Dumb. LOL
I luv it tho anyways.. it's cute.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzcute-pumpkin.gif
the deer at my flowers on the plants- the vine said ---it was a massacre.

Have you ever tried milk-feeding them?

I use half and half in my coffee so I don't have much milk. How does it work? Do you pour it on the ground or the leaves or the pumpkin?

all i wanted was to grow some huge pumpkins.
First you have to get the seeds with the right genetics. Jack'o lantern won't do. A couple of years ago I bought genuine giant pumpkin seeds on the internet but you can get something called "big max" in Walmart. Soak the seeds overnight in warm water and plant them point down in a peat pot and wait. Plant the seedlings with some fertilizer and keep the weeds away and hope for the best. I don't use herbicide or insecticide. It's still not too late unless we get an early frost in the fall. Oh yeah, the vines take up a lot of space.

Last edited:
I use half and half in my coffee so I don't have much milk. How does it work? Do you pour it on the ground or the leaves or the pumpkin?

You cut a slash in the stem and use a wick -- like cotton yarn or such -- insert it in the cut in the stem and leave the other end in a bowl of milk. This is what I've heard, but I can't find any photos.

Here's a video where the guy uses a syringe full of milk and jabs it into the stem. I imagine there are plenty of others.

You cut a slash in the stem and use a wick -- like cotton yarn or such -- insert it in the cut in the stem and leave the other end in a bowl of milk. This is what I've heard, but I can't find any photos.

Here's a video where the guy uses a syringe full of milk and jabs it into the stem. I imagine there are plenty of others.

Sorry, I can't bring myself to slashing the stems of my babies. I'm no record holder but I like the idea of a pumpkin that weighs almost as much as I do.

Sorry, I can't bring myself to slashing the stems of my babies. I'm no record holder but I like the idea of a pumpkin that weighs almost as much as I do.
Milk does a decent job of keeping powdery mildew at bay if you just pour it over the leaves. I've used it with roses and vine veg before.

Forum List

Back