Growing okra

OhPleaseJustQuit

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2021

I was given some African okra seeds by an African friend, and I know nothing about growing okra because I can't eat it.

Any hints would be wonderful! I'm in the midwest, in zone 4.

TIA.

Where did you find that definition of creepitist?.... LOL

It was just a word that was in my mind when I first joined. I knew it was a medical term, of some sort. It is now, in the form in which I use it, obsolete, mostly. It also means a cracking noise that comes from a joint. It's hard to find the old definition, and I honestly can't tell you where I found it. I use duckduckgo to search.

I wonder if it comes from the same root as the word "decrepit".

Last edited:

I was given some African okra seeds by an African friend, and I know nothing about growing okra because I can't eat it.

Any hints would be wonderful! I'm in the midwest, in zone 4.

TIA.

It needs a long period of hot weather. I love okra but up here in Wisconsin, I've never had much luck.

Now when I lived in Arkansas and Texas, I used to eat a lot of it. Coat it with flour, corn meal, salt, and pepper, and fry it up in a skillet with lard.

It needs a long period of hot weather. I love okra but up here in Wisconsin, I've never had much luck.

Now when I lived in Arkansas and Texas, I used to eat a lot of it. Coat it with flour, corn meal, salt, and pepper, and fry it up in a skillet with lard.

I think my friend probably has Ethiopian recipes for cooking it. He's got a lot of Ethiopian friends who probably invite him to dinner a lot, who will cook it for him.

I don't eat it because it's really high in oxalic acid. Off my diet.

Our growing season can be pretty hot, but not very long, and this is probably a very late start. We've had a bizarre amount of rain this spring. Just been a weird year, but I'm going to try. My friend's face lit right up when I told him I was going to try planting it.

I think my friend probably has Ethiopian recipes for cooking it. He's got a lot of Ethiopian friends who probably invite him to dinner a lot, who will cook it for him.

I don't eat it because it's really high in oxalic acid. Off my diet.

Our growing season can be pretty hot, but not very long, and this is probably a very late start. We've had a bizarre amount of rain this spring. Just been a weird year, but I'm going to try. My friend's face lit right up when I told him I was going to try planting it.

I miss having okra, but they do have it at Walmart sometimes. It goes great in gumbo and other Cajun dishes.

It has been a weird year. Here it is the middle of June and I haven't even tilled the garden spot. It's been too cool and too wet.

I miss having okra, but they do have it at Walmart sometimes. It goes great in gumbo and other Cajun dishes.

It has been a weird year. Here it is the middle of June and I haven't even tilled the garden spot. It's been too cool and too wet.

Same here! My cabbage, peas, beans and squashes are just starting to grab on and look like they want to survive.

Same with the rain here. Nobody in my church has got their garden going.

It was just a word that was in my mind when I first joined. I knew it was a medical term, of some sort. It is now, in the form in which I use it, obsolete, mostly. It also means a cracking noise that comes from a joint. It's hard to find the old definition, and I honestly can't tell you where I found it. I use duckduckgo to search.

I wonder if it comes from the same root as the word "decrepit".

I believe so. I prefer to refer to Crepitus as 'jangebones.' :cool:

I haven't tried asking my friend if he's been looking for it at WalMart. I'll ask next time I see him.

Or maybe there's just something special about this African variety of okra. I'd think that if it could be had, it would be in the Ethiopian grocery store.

:dunno:

Damn, man. If some Virginian had said that in 1860, the other 10 Confederate states would have revoked their Confederate Card.

:laughing0301:

I like it fried or just toss a few small pods into a pot of peas at the end of cooking them.

Thank you for not saying "It was Arabs who invented Okra..."

Okra came from Africa so the Arabs know about okra.

A traditional Arabic okra stew called bamee is made with browned okra, tomatoes, cilantro or coriander, and meat. The dish can be served with plain or Arabic rice.

Okra came from Africa so the Arabs know about okra.

A traditional Arabic okra stew called bamee is made with browned okra, tomatoes, cilantro or coriander, and meat. The dish can be served with plain or Arabic rice.

Good to see you're back to your usual self.

You're a virtual cornucopia of information. Any time I can't find something on Wikipedia, I always look for you.

:04:

logo.svg

How to Grow Okra: The Complete Guide

Planting, Growing, and Harvesting Okra​

Catherine Boeckmann
March 9, 2024
How to Grow Okra: The Complete Guide

Forum List

Back