Gun Control, Gun Ban is not the answer

I'd like to know who has said we should ban all guns but ...

And let's call this what it is. It's terrorism and it's murder.

If you were on the terrorist list, you would be able to legally buy a gun in the US.

I'm not seeing it, Old Rocks.

The AR-15 is a semi automatic...it functions just like any other semi automatic.

I could fire a lever action Winchester 1894 or a bolt action Springfield 1903 almost as rapidly.

And fwiw, nobody had an AR before they were banned...banning them made them famous.

Yeah I know--there are probably 100's of thousands of these type weapons that are owned by law abiding citizens that would never dream of hurting anyone with them.

BUT--why do you own one? Are you fearful you'll get attacked by 100's of people at once--do you feel it is really for your personal safety--because it sure isn't used for hunting. It's a kill people machine.

The problem we're having is that owners of these guns are USING them--as we witnessed in Aurora--and this nut-case today--got a hold of his mothers guns. So what is your solution to this problem?
Why do you care who owns an AR-15?...How is that any of your concern?

Oh, and today's nut job mass murder appears to have used semi-auto handguns, not an AR.

So you think a "crazy test" will suffice---:badgrin: I don't think so. They're is an old saying and it's very true--"crazy like a fox." There are many people in this country that can act--pass tests--and be as normal as your next door neighbor--and then go off and commit mass murder without anyone blinking an eye--and people who knew them are shocked that they were capable of doing what they did. It happens all of the time.

We have to ask ourselves--why we need assault weapons to be sold to the public today. They're certainly not for personal safety--unless you plan on getting attacked by 100's of people at once.

The only purpose of an assault weapon is to kill people in mass. And that couldn't have been more clear as to what this elementary school teacher had purchased and registered in her own name--that her nutcase son obviously had complete access too.

Here it is- Bushmaster .223-with a 30 round clip--sells for around $650.00

10182805.jpg

I own one just like that...30 round magazine and all.

I bought it in 1993 while I was in the Army, and in 19 years, somehow...crazy as it sounds...it not only has not killed anyone, it hasn't even been fired in anger.

How do you explain that???

Yeah I know--there are probably 100's of thousands of these type weapons that are owned by law abiding citizens that would never dream of hurting anyone with them.

BUT--why do you own one? Are you fearful you'll get attacked by 100's of people at once--do you feel it is really for your personal safety--because it sure isn't used for hunting. It's a kill people machine.

The problem we're having is that owners of these guns are USING them--as we witnessed in Aurora--and this nut-case today--got a hold of his mothers guns. So what is your solution to this problem?

All of the above AND I absolutely do hunt with it...feral hogs mostly, but deer also with a 10 round magazine (the law in MO) and coyote when they overrun my uncles farm.

I target shoot 1000 meters with it...it's a modular match grade weapon...meaning I can tear it all the way down in minutes and repair, upgrade or modify it, without a slew of expensive specialty tools.

And nobody can foresee the future...I hope I am never in a situation where I ever need to use a weapon against another human being, but I would to defend my family, or your family.

Last edited:
The only type of gun control that I think is reasonable and appropriate is a thorough background check and maybe a short wait period afterwards, but other than that if I want to go buy a rifle, a handgun, or something bigger and it's available to buy legally then I have that right if I qualify. I don't really think a machine gun is necessary for the average person, maybe other than for shooting for fun, but to a gun collector they may really want it and that's fine with me. If need be then they can pass stricter laws for those types of big assault guns but more gun control isn't going to stop some crazy guy from killing a bunch of people if he really wants to. If he doesn't have a gun then he will just use a bomb or something anyway.

What needs to be addressed is mental illness in this country. Make everyone take a test before they can buy a gun, any gun. What kind of test? I don't know, some psychological test to see if the person wanting to buy the gun is mentally stable enough to own one.

I know everyone and their mothers are wanting all kinds of gun control laws passed with some wanting complete gun bans I'm sure. That is not the answer here.

Thing is, if someone fails this test, what law or ban is going to stop that person from picking one up illegally? Plus, he/she can get if now and not have to wait.

As for gun shows? I think these do need to be banned or make it so guns cannot be sold right then and there. If someone wants a gun from a gun show, they can still get only it will be shipped after a background check.

All I know is that gun control laws and gun bans will not stop these acts of murder.

And let's call this what it is. It's terrorism and it's murder. I hear these anchors say 20 children killed, they weren't killed, they were murdered. There is a difference.

There are too many anti gun zealots with PHDs such as Psychiatrists I would never allow nor trust anyone to determine my right to keep and bears arms.

A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths

Of the world's 23 "rich" countries, the U.S. gun-related murder rate is almost 20 times that of the other 22. With almost one privately owned firearm per person, America's ownership rate is the highest in the world; tribal-conflict-torn Yemen is ranked second, with a rate about half of America's.

But what about the country at the other end of the spectrum? What is the role of guns in Japan, the developed world's least firearm-filled nation and perhaps its strictest controller? In 2008, the U.S. had over 12 thousand firearm-related homicides. All of Japan experienced only 11, fewer than were killed at the Aurora shooting alone. And that was a big year: 2006 saw an astounding two, and when that number jumped to 22 in 2007, it became a national scandal. By comparison, also in 2008, 587 Americans were killed just by guns that had discharged accidentally.

The only guns that Japanese citizens can legally buy and use are shotguns and air rifles, and it's not easy to do. The process is detailed in David Kopel's landmark study on Japanese gun control, published in the 1993 Asia Pacific Law Review, still cited as current. (Kopel, no left-wing loony, is a member of the National Rifle Association and once wrote in National Review that looser gun control laws could have stopped Adolf Hitler.)

To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you'll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don't forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.

A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths - Max Fisher - The Atlantic

Why can't we do this?? We have to do something!!

What needs to be addressed is mental illness in this country. Make everyone take a test before they can buy a gun, any gun. What kind of test? I don't know, some psychological test to see if the person wanting to buy the gun is mentally stable enough to own one.

I know everyone and their mothers are wanting all kinds of gun control laws passed with some wanting complete gun bans I'm sure. That is not the answer here.

Thing is, if someone fails this test, what law or ban is going to stop that person from picking one up illegally? Plus, he/she can get if now and not have to wait.

As for gun shows? I think these do need to be banned or make it so guns cannot be sold right then and there. If someone wants a gun from a gun show, they can still get only it will be shipped after a background check.

All I know is that gun control laws and gun bans will not stop these acts of murder.

And let's call this what it is. It's terrorism and it's murder. I hear these anchors say 20 children killed, they weren't killed, they were murdered. There is a difference.

So you think a "crazy test" will suffice---:badgrin: I don't think so. They're is an old saying and it's very true--"crazy like a fox." There are many people in this country that can act--pass tests--and be as normal as your next door neighbor--and then go off and commit mass murder without anyone blinking an eye--and people who knew them are shocked that they were capable of doing what they did. It happens all of the time.

We have to ask ourselves--why we need assault weapons to be sold to the public today. They're certainly not for personal safety--unless you plan on getting attacked by 100's of people at once. If you're thinking about taking on the Federal Government with one--I'll remind you of their bombs and preditor drones.

The only purpose of an assault weapon is to kill people in mass. And that couldn't have been more clear as to what this elementary school teacher had purchased and registered in her own name--that her nutcase son obviously had complete access too.

Here it is- Bushmaster .223-with a 30 round clip--sells for around $650.00

10182805.jpg

Let me guess you think a bolt action hunting rifle is a good weapon for home defense?
and those predictor drones are controlled by computer a mediocre hacker could take control of one.

A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths

Of the world's 23 "rich" countries, the U.S. gun-related murder rate is almost 20 times that of the other 22. With almost one privately owned firearm per person, America's ownership rate is the highest in the world; tribal-conflict-torn Yemen is ranked second, with a rate about half of America's.

But what about the country at the other end of the spectrum? What is the role of guns in Japan, the developed world's least firearm-filled nation and perhaps its strictest controller? In 2008, the U.S. had over 12 thousand firearm-related homicides. All of Japan experienced only 11, fewer than were killed at the Aurora shooting alone. And that was a big year: 2006 saw an astounding two, and when that number jumped to 22 in 2007, it became a national scandal. By comparison, also in 2008, 587 Americans were killed just by guns that had discharged accidentally.

The only guns that Japanese citizens can legally buy and use are shotguns and air rifles, and it's not easy to do. The process is detailed in David Kopel's landmark study on Japanese gun control, published in the 1993 Asia Pacific Law Review, still cited as current. (Kopel, no left-wing loony, is a member of the National Rifle Association and once wrote in National Review that looser gun control laws could have stopped Adolf Hitler.)

To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you'll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don't forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.

A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths - Max Fisher - The Atlantic

Why can't we do this?? We have to do something!!
Move

And how is Japan's justice system?

Now then about my registration comment.

Not one thing in my post is TRUE?

what planet are you on?

evidently you have never sold an automobile second hand, Because you have SEVEN days to register it as a new owner ....

And I can sell any of my weapons to any one... and not file one piece of documentation on it.. Not a one...

I have.. and I have bought second hand from Private citizens....
there is NO registration process legally bound after it leaves the DEALER..

So please enlighten me as to what is NOT TRUE in the statemnets I have made?

An AR-15 is not an assualt weapon? What bullshit. It is a semiautomatic knockoff of a military weopon that was designed for only one purpose, the killing of human beings in large numbers.

Repeat this nonsense in Sandy Hook.

Isn't this the type of weapon you are discussing? The individual in the image is former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords before she was shot in an attempted assassination attempt in Tucson Arizona.

119023_original.jpg

Obama moved to tears over school shooting...

Obama: 'Our Hearts Are Broken Today'
December 14, 2012 WHITE HOUSE — U.S. President Barack Obama wiped away tears Friday, as he offered government support and emotional support to the families of those killed in a mass shooting in a school in Connecticut. Obama said he was reacting as a parent, not a president.
As the father of two daughters, the president said “our hearts are broken,” and he spoke of parents across the country hugging their children tighter tonight. “We have endured too many of these tragedies in the past few years. And each time I learned the news, I react not as a president, but as anybody else would, as a parent,” he said. "And that was especially true today. I know there is not a parent in America who does not feel the same overwhelming grief that I do. The majority of those who died today were children - beautiful little kids between the ages of five and 10 years old.”

The president spoke several hours after children and adults were gunned down at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Obama paused several times during his short statement and struggled to keep his composure when he described the victims. “They had their entire lives ahead of them - birthdays, graduations, weddings, kids of their own,” he said. "Among the fallen were also teachers, men and women who devoted their lives to helping our children fulfill their dreams.” This is at least the 10th mass shooting in the United States since Obama took office in January 2009, with several taking place in previous years.

B0A85D21-76E6-40C5-8538-1688A692C57E_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy5_cw0.jpg

President Barack Obama wipes his eye as he speaks about the elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, Friday, Dec. 14, 2012, in the briefing room of the White House.

The president mentioned several of the incidents, including the killings of three people at a shopping mall in the northwestern state of Oregon just three days earlier. He said something must be done to stop further violence in public places. “These neighborhoods are our neighborhoods, and these children are our children," he said. "And we are going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics.” Obama did not discuss specific steps that might be taken. Social media in the United States were full of demands Friday for tougher gun control legislation.

Earlier in the day, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said the president remains committed to renewing the federal ban on assault weapons, which lapsed in 2004. Out of respect for the shooting victims, Obama has ordered the flag atop the White House flown at half-staff, and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, John Boehner, has done the same at the U.S. Capitol. Speaker Boehner has released a written statement, calling on Americans to “lock arms and unite as citizens…to rise above unspeakable evil.”

MORE & Video

See also:

Obama Faces Calls for Action After Connecticut Shootings
December 14, 2012 WHITE HOUSE — Friday's mass shooting at an elementary school in the state of Connecticut - the second worst such incident in U.S. history - was the latest to occur during President Barack Obama's first term.
The entrance to a shopping center in Tucson, Arizona in 2011... a crowded movie theater in Aurora, Colorado last July... and now, an elementary school filled with children in Newtown, Connecticut. After each tragedy, Obama has offered words of comfort for families of those killed, and traveled to towns and cities to meet with and offer encouragement to survivors.

Emotional plea

A few hours after first receiving word of the shootings in Connecticut, Obama came to the White House briefing room to deliver a statement laden with emotion. Saying the nation has "endured too many of these tragedies," pausing twice and appearing near tears, he said the country must find a way to put an end to such violence. "As a country we have been through this too many times, whether it is an elementary school in Newtown, or a shopping mall in Oregon, or a temple in Wisconsin, or a movie theater in Aurora, or a street corner in Chicago, these neighborhoods are our neighborhoods and these children are our children. And we're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, and regardless of the politics," said Obama.

Mass shootings

Since Obama was elected in 2008, there have been at least 10 mass shooting incidents, including those he referenced in his statement. The Connecticut massacre was the second worst school shooting incident after 32 people were killed and 17 wounded at Virginia Tech in 2007. After 13 people were killed last July by a gunman opening fire in a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, the president urged Americans to reflect. "I hope that over the next several days, next several weeks, and next several months, we all reflect on how we can do something about some of the senseless violence that ends up marring this country," he said.

In Tucson, Arizona, where a gunman took the lives of 13 people in 2011, and seriously wounded a U.S. congresswoman, the president urged Americans not to allow that tragedy to intensify national divisions. "We cannot and will not be passive in the face of such violence. We should be willing to challenge old assumptions in order to lessen the prospects of such violence in the future. But what we cannot do is use this tragedy as one more occasion to turn on each other," said Obama.

Gun control issue

A liberal gave this same advice to William F Buckley when he confronted New Deal America as a college student.

Buckley decided to stay and fight for the country he loved.

We all have that right.

Just FYI

Last edited:
What sort of test do you propose that those who steal guns or buy them on the black market to carry out their criminal acts take?

Like I said in my post, you are not going to be able to stop someone from getting a gun illegally if they fail the test.

And I will add

You are not going to be able to stop someone from getting a gun illegally if you have more gun control laws or total gun bans.

so what, the vast majority of gun murders are committed with legally held firearms

Are you retarded or just ill informed? :lol:

Forum List

Back