Gun Control = Hitting Where You Aim

Stryder50

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2021
Lynden, WA, USA
This thread is for assorted posts and links dealing with the mechanics of various firearms and their use. Discuss types of firearms, preferred models, performances, etc. Lead off with;

Back to Basics: How to Use Iron Sights On a Rifle​

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Army special operators invited other US troops and other militaries to a sniper competition. Here's who came out on top.​

ATF sees rise in quarter-sized switch that turns handguns into machine guns​

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives is investigating more incidents involving illegal "Glock switches." The quarter-sized device transforms a semi-automatic weapon into what's qualified as a machine gun.

Even if the device isn't attached to a gun, if found in someone's possession, it is still qualified as a machine gun.

Without a switch, a semi-automatic pistol fires one bullet per trigger pull and can only fire as quickly as the operator pulls the trigger. With a switch, one trigger pull can clear out a 30-round magazine clip in less than two seconds. In one minute, the gun could fire 1,200 rounds.

"That's a lot of bullets going downrange, and it's a great risk to everyone involved," said Mickey French, the Special Agent in Charge for ATF's Nashville Division, which covers Alabama.

Not only are an enormous amount of bullets being released at one time--the power of the modified gun makes it difficult for the operator to control.

"The muzzle likes to rise. Novices will be unable to keep the rounds impacting the paper at 21 feet," explained ATF Special Agent, Morgan Madison.

Madison has a significant amount of training with automatic weapons. Even for him, it was difficult to stay on target

The Best Rifles of 2022​

It’s no easy feat determining the best rifles of 2022, but it’s a task that the editors at Outdoor Life took on with relish as we converged at Gunsite Academy in late March. I’ve been to Gunsite countless times over the years, but never had I arrived in such style—at the wheel of a rented RV stuffed to the gills with guns, ammunition, optics, tools, targets, and the other myriad bits and pieces required to conduct this annual event.

For the first time in the gun test’s history, we took it on the road. Previously, we held the test on our home turf. For the last 12 years that meant in Montana, where I live. And prior to that, we held the test in Tennessee, where Jim Carmichel, my predecessor as Outdoor Life’s shooting editor, hails from.

But enduring winter after winter of brutal weather for the gun test had taken its toll, and we all agreed it was time to head to warmer climes. So, I pointed the RV south, and covered the 1,000 miles between Bozeman and Paulden, Arizona, hauling the largest lineup of new guns we’ve ever tested.

5 of the Best Concealed Carry Gun Options for Under $500​

There’s no shortage of affordable handguns on the market. But there’s a lot to consider when looking for the most reliable and best concealed carry gun that you might need to rely on for self-defense. You don’t want a handgun you can’t trust to go bang every time you pull the trigger, or one that will wear out after only a few trips to the range. And while smaller guns chambered for rounds like the .380 ACP are popular for concealed carry, serious defensive handguns start with a +P capable .38 Special revolver or a 9mm semi-automatic. Here’s a look at five cheap handguns that you can trust, and they all cost right around $500 or less—quite a bit less in some cases. None will win a beauty contest or ever be listed on the list of best handguns ever made, but all five are dependable and fully capable of saving your life.

One method that certainly isn't textbook that I do during target practice is to sort of pretend that the barrel of the gun is like 30 feet long and I'm stabbing the target with the barrel of the gun and pull the trigger.

I don't really aim the gun down the sights as usual. Some guys call the technique point and shoot, or shooting from the hip, or whatever. But I call it stab and shoot.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back