Guns: Misdirection By Obama

I occasionally "tote a loaded gun" around in open carry when the weather is hot. I dont see an issue with it. Is the guy kind of weird? Yes. But people who are kind of weird have rights in this country. The guy is middle aged and never committed a felony. That's something right there.

You're probably one of those nuts I'm referring to, so of course you don't understand the issue.

I actually sell firearms for a living so I'll bet I know just a wee bit more than you do. And even if I didn't I've actually seen guns up close so I still know more than you.

So you profit from this insanity. That explains it.

Also . . . having all of these gun nuts strutting around is a contagion. If I decide to purchase and own a firearm, it will probably be to protect myself and my family from gun nuts.

Therein lies the problem.

However, I do believe that it is inappropriate and, perhaps, criminally suspect when a person totes a loaded gun around in a public place.
Most states allow this.

Open carry in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Concealed carry in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If yours does, and you don't like it, call your representative.

What you fail to understand is that people have their rights, including the right to arms - until those rights are removed by due process -- usually, after conviction for a criminal act.

That's how free societies work.
:dunno:

I agree, and I didn't bring this topic up. I'm mostly silent on this issue--but many gun nuts are worrisome, and I foresee big problems if we don't address this thing.

People that carry guns should NOT be feared--they should be pitied, for living lives engulfed in fear, loathing, and mistrust. There are very few areas that require carrying arms.

Sitting at his kitchen table, a long-time NRA member and competitive shooter was alarmed when a masked intruder walked through the front door wielding a knife. “Who the [expletive] are you?” the NRA member demanded, but the intruder just mumbled something and progressed toward him. The NRA member grabbed for the intruder’s knife hand, receiving lacerations. He continued struggling with the intruder with his left hand, and reached into his pocket with his right, drawing a .38-cal. revolver. “Get the [expletive] out of here or I’m going to shoot you!” the NRA member shouted. The intruder backed away, saying, “I’m an alcoholic; I’m not going to get shot over this.” He fled the scene. (Walla Walla Union-Bulletin, Walla Walla, WA, 03/30/11)
When a noise woke an 84-year-old grandmother, she noticed her hall light was on and knew something was awry. The sharp-thinking, independent woman opened a nightstand drawer and quickly grabbed her .38-cal. revolver. “My mind told me to get that gun,” she explained. No sooner had she done so than an intruder appeared at the bedroom door. The woman fired a shot, striking the wall. The intruder ran out the back door, which he had kicked in. (KTVU-TV, Oakland, CA, 03/03/11)
Denard Joe was stopped in his car at an intersection when a man wearing a red bandana tapped on the window and pointed a gun at him. Big mistake. Joe, a concealed-carry permit holder, drew a handgun and opened fire through the window, striking his assailant twice in the chest. The carjacker, who had just been released from state prison last November, ran a short distance and then died. (The Ledger, Lakeland, FL, 04/06/11)
Home alone in his two-story house, a man heard a knock at his door. Glancing out the window, he saw three men sneak around to the back sliding door. The sound of breaking glass made it clear that the men were entering the house. The homeowner went upstairs, locked himself in a bedroom and got his gun. At least one of the burglars approached the bedroom door and was about to enter when the resident opened fire, killing him. The other burglars fled, one of whom was nabbed by a responding officer’s police dog. (The News Tribune, Tacoma, WA, 04/05/11)
Church Minister Kimani Wright and his young son interrupted a burglary as they returned home one morning. Wright saw the burglar, who was armed, and immediately drew a handgun and opened fire. Glass shattered as bullets struck the front door. The burglar wisely ran away. According to police, the intruder was not struck. Neither Wright nor his son were injured. (The Fayetteville Observer, Fayetteville, NC, 04/21/11)
“You’re not supposed to knock old people down … I’m too old to be going through all that!” said 83-year-old James Brooks after a hair-raising burglary incident. It began when a man knocked on the door, claimed to have lost his cell phone and inquired whether Brooks had seen it. Soon after, a second man knocked on the door. “He told me to go sit on the couch because he didn’t want to kill me,” Brooks recalled. At first he thought the suspect was joking, but his intent to do harm quickly became clear. As the suspect attempted to lift Brooks’ television, Brooks saw his opportunity to retrieve a firearm. He fired a shot, wounding the suspect, who fled the scene with the assistance of two accomplices. Brooks said he’s lived in the neighborhood for more than 25 years and never had anything like this happen. “These young people have got their whole lives to live, why spoil it?” Brooks asked rhetorically. “I’m thinking [the suspect] got the message.” (Dayton Daily News, Dayton, OH, 04/30/11)
A woman and her husband pleaded with a man to quit attempting to break into their home. As the woman dialed 9-1-1, the suspect banged on the front door and shattered the surrounding glass. The husband shouted that he was armed with a rifle—he even fired two warning shots in an attempt to halt the break-in—but the suspect forced the door open anyway. As he entered the home, the husband fired a single shot from his .22-cal. rifle. The suspect was shot once in the chest and killed. (The World, Coos Bay, OR, 04/08/11)
Armed Citizen | NRA Publications and Magazines

"People that carry guns should NOT be feared--they should be pitied, for living lives engulfed in fear, loathing, and mistrust."

Is there a possibility that you're just stupid?

Most states allow this.

Open carry in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Concealed carry in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If yours does, and you don't like it, call your representative.

What you fail to understand is that people have their rights, including the right to arms - until those rights are removed by due process -- usually, after conviction for a criminal act.

That's how free societies work.
:dunno:

I agree, and I didn't bring this topic up. I'm mostly silent on this issue--but many gun nuts are worrisome, and I foresee big problems if we don't address this thing.

People that carry guns should NOT be feared--they should be pitied, for living lives engulfed in fear, loathing, and mistrust. There are very few areas that require carrying arms.

Sitting at his kitchen table, a long-time NRA member and competitive shooter was alarmed when a masked intruder walked through the front door wielding a knife. “Who the [expletive] are you?” the NRA member demanded, but the intruder just mumbled something and progressed toward him. The NRA member grabbed for the intruder’s knife hand, receiving lacerations. He continued struggling with the intruder with his left hand, and reached into his pocket with his right, drawing a .38-cal. revolver. “Get the [expletive] out of here or I’m going to shoot you!” the NRA member shouted. The intruder backed away, saying, “I’m an alcoholic; I’m not going to get shot over this.” He fled the scene. (Walla Walla Union-Bulletin, Walla Walla, WA, 03/30/11)
When a noise woke an 84-year-old grandmother, she noticed her hall light was on and knew something was awry. The sharp-thinking, independent woman opened a nightstand drawer and quickly grabbed her .38-cal. revolver. “My mind told me to get that gun,” she explained. No sooner had she done so than an intruder appeared at the bedroom door. The woman fired a shot, striking the wall. The intruder ran out the back door, which he had kicked in. (KTVU-TV, Oakland, CA, 03/03/11)
Denard Joe was stopped in his car at an intersection when a man wearing a red bandana tapped on the window and pointed a gun at him. Big mistake. Joe, a concealed-carry permit holder, drew a handgun and opened fire through the window, striking his assailant twice in the chest. The carjacker, who had just been released from state prison last November, ran a short distance and then died. (The Ledger, Lakeland, FL, 04/06/11)
Home alone in his two-story house, a man heard a knock at his door. Glancing out the window, he saw three men sneak around to the back sliding door. The sound of breaking glass made it clear that the men were entering the house. The homeowner went upstairs, locked himself in a bedroom and got his gun. At least one of the burglars approached the bedroom door and was about to enter when the resident opened fire, killing him. The other burglars fled, one of whom was nabbed by a responding officer’s police dog. (The News Tribune, Tacoma, WA, 04/05/11)
Church Minister Kimani Wright and his young son interrupted a burglary as they returned home one morning. Wright saw the burglar, who was armed, and immediately drew a handgun and opened fire. Glass shattered as bullets struck the front door. The burglar wisely ran away. According to police, the intruder was not struck. Neither Wright nor his son were injured. (The Fayetteville Observer, Fayetteville, NC, 04/21/11)
“You’re not supposed to knock old people down … I’m too old to be going through all that!” said 83-year-old James Brooks after a hair-raising burglary incident. It began when a man knocked on the door, claimed to have lost his cell phone and inquired whether Brooks had seen it. Soon after, a second man knocked on the door. “He told me to go sit on the couch because he didn’t want to kill me,” Brooks recalled. At first he thought the suspect was joking, but his intent to do harm quickly became clear. As the suspect attempted to lift Brooks’ television, Brooks saw his opportunity to retrieve a firearm. He fired a shot, wounding the suspect, who fled the scene with the assistance of two accomplices. Brooks said he’s lived in the neighborhood for more than 25 years and never had anything like this happen. “These young people have got their whole lives to live, why spoil it?” Brooks asked rhetorically. “I’m thinking [the suspect] got the message.” (Dayton Daily News, Dayton, OH, 04/30/11)
A woman and her husband pleaded with a man to quit attempting to break into their home. As the woman dialed 9-1-1, the suspect banged on the front door and shattered the surrounding glass. The husband shouted that he was armed with a rifle—he even fired two warning shots in an attempt to halt the break-in—but the suspect forced the door open anyway. As he entered the home, the husband fired a single shot from his .22-cal. rifle. The suspect was shot once in the chest and killed. (The World, Coos Bay, OR, 04/08/11)

"People that carry guns should NOT be feared--they should be pitied, for living lives engulfed in fear, loathing, and mistrust."

Your original posts are generally provocative and well worded, but your responses are hyperbolic and partisan. Do you copy this stuff from someone else?

Also, the examples you cite are fine. I applaud those people. I was referring to inept, marginally-functional gun nuts that are a real source of concern.

I get tired of people complaining about violence in entertainment. It is no more responsible than guns for the murders theses scum commit.

You know, Stevie....I tend to place a great of credence in your perspective....if what you are saying is that values, the character of the individual, is the overriding determiner of violence.

I felt that was missing from Campbell's piece....

Also . . . having all of these gun nuts strutting around is a contagion. If I decide to purchase and own a firearm, it will probably be to protect myself and my family from gun nuts.

Therein lies the problem.
So called gun nuts train and practice with their guns. They would shoot you to hell and back while you were trying to figure out which way the bullet goes in the "clip".
Let's face it: You know nothing about guns or the people who own them, yet feel entitled to express an opinion anyway. Nor will you bother to learn anything from people who do actually know something. This marks you as having sub par intelligence.

Yes, I agree--the President has been remiss not to mention the fact that the modern American obsession and fascination with guns and violence is rooted in our media culture. HOWEVER, since the media culture actually runs the country, decides elections, and dictates policy--it would probably be unwise for any politician to attack them. Even the modern Republican Party has its policies described by the Conservative Entertainment Complex.

FWIW, I don't think that there is much we can do in the short term regarding gun violence via legislation. Guns are thick as fleas in this country. I would, however, like to see some legislation preventing obvious social misfits from packing loaded guns in public places. They do it to intimidate others and elevate themselves, and it should be illegal.

My bold. Can you elaborate on you definition of "obvious social misfits" and exactly how they intimidate others? I think you have very limited knowledge of how concealed carry works and what is acceptable.

I'm not talking about "concealed carry" at all. I'm talking about exhibitionist gun NUTS.

You are aware that brandishing a firearm in a threatening manner except in self defense is already illegal, , right?

I just don't understand how folks like you can be so irrational as to think politicians can legislate all the evil out of this world. Nothing that is being proposed will have any effect on people bent on killing other people and you only have to look at history to know that a cop will not be around to stop whatever is going to happen. People need the ability to defend themselves.

I get tired of people complaining about violence in entertainment. It is no more responsible than guns for the murders theses scum commit.

You know, Stevie....I tend to place a great of credence in your perspective....if what you are saying is that values, the character of the individual, is the overriding determiner of violence.

That is it exactly. And that is what is lacking in modern times. I have been watching violent movies and playing violent games and never felt the urge to harm anyone or anything. I and millions of others. But I was taught to respect others. I belive that there is a serious lack of respect and courtesy in too many people.

That is it exactly. And that is what is lacking in modern times. I have been watching violent movies and playing violent games and never felt the urge to harm anyone or anything. I and millions of others. But I was taught to respect others. I belive that there is a serious lack of respect and courtesy in too many people.

....but I do believe that one's values can be impaired.....for example:

At least fourteen recent school shootings were committed by those taking or withdrawing from psychiatric drugs. It is important to note the following lists cases where the information about the shooters psychiatric drug use was made public. To give an example, although it is known that James Holmes, suspected perpetrator of the Aurora, Colorado movie theater shooting, was seeing psychiatrist Lynne Fenton, there has been no mention of what psychiatric drugs he may have been taking—though it is highly probably he was taking psychiatric drugs considering he was under a psychiatrist’s “care”. Also note that all these mass shootings didn’t just occur in the United States.
Of these 14, seven were seeing either a psychiatrist (5 of them) or psychologist (2 of them). It is not known whether or not the other half were seeing a psychiatrist, as it has not been published.

1. Huntsville, Alabama – February 5, 2010: 15-year-old Hammad Memon shot and killed another Discover Middle School student Todd Brown. Memon had a history for being treated for ADHD and depression. He was taking the antidepressant Zoloft and “other drugs for the conditions.” He had been seeing a psychiatrist and psychologist.
2. Kauhajoki, Finland – September 23, 2008: 22-year-old culinary student Matti Saari shot and killed 9 students and a teacher, and wounded another student, before killing himself. Saari was taking an SSRI and a benzodiazapine. He was also seeing a psychologist.
3. Dekalb, Illinois – February 14, 2008: 27-year-old Steven Kazmierczak shot and killed five people and wounded 21 others before killing himself in a Northern Illinois University auditorium. According to his girlfriend, he had recently been taking Prozac, Xanax and Ambien. Toxicology results showed that he still had trace amount of Xanax in his system. He had been seeing a psychiatrist.
4. Jokela, Finland – November 7, 2007: 18-year-old Finnish gunman Pekka-Eric Auvinen had been taking antidepressants before he killed eight people and wounded a dozen more at Jokela High School in southern Finland, then committed suicide.
5. Cleveland, Ohio – October 10, 2007: 14-year-old Asa Coon stormed through his school with a gun in each hand, shooting and wounding four before taking his own life. Court records show Coon had been placed on the antidepressant Trazodone.
6. Red Lake, Minnesota – March 2005: 16-year-old Jeff Weise, on Prozac, shot and killed his grandparents, then went to his school on the Red Lake Indian Reservation where he shot dead 7 students and a teacher, and wounded 7 before killing himself.
7. Greenbush, New York – February 2004: 16-year-old Jon Romano strolled into his high school in east Greenbush and opened fire with a shotgun. Special education teacher Michael Bennett was hit in the leg. Romano had been taking “medication for depression”. He had previously seen a psychiatrist.
8. Wahluke, Washington – April 10, 2001: Sixteen-year-old Cory Baadsgaard took a rifle to his high school and held 23 classmates and a teacher hostage. He had been taking the antidepressant Effexor.
9. El Cajon, California – March 22, 2001: 18-year-old Jason Hoffman, on the antidepressants Celexa and Effexor, opened fire on his classmates, wounding three students and two teachers at Granite Hills High School. He had been seeing a psychiatrist before the shooting.
10. Williamsport, Pennsylvania – March 7, 2001: 14-year-old Elizabeth Bush was taking the antidepressant Prozac when she shot at fellow students, wounding one.
11. Conyers, Georgia – May 20, 1999: 15-year-old T.J. Solomon was being treated with the stimulant Ritalin when he opened fire on and wounded six of his classmates.
12. Columbine, Colorado – April 20, 1999: 18-year-old Eric Harris and his accomplice, Dylan Klebold, killed 12 students and a teacher and wounded 26 others before killing themselves. Harris was on the antidepressant Luvox. Klebold’s medical records remain sealed. Both shooters had been in anger-management classes and had undergone counseling. Harris had been seeing a psychiatrist before the shooting.
13. Notus, Idaho – April 16, 1999: 15-year-old Shawn Cooper fired two shotgun rounds in his school, narrowly missing students. He was taking a prescribed SSRI antidepressant and Ritalin.
14. Springfield, Oregon – May 21, 1998: 15-year-old Kip Kinkel murdered his parents and then proceeded to school where he opened fire on students in the cafeteria, killing two and wounding 25. Kinkel had been taking the antidepressant Prozac. Kinkel had been attending “anger control classes” and was under the care of a psychologist.
Note: Psychiatric Drugs Can Also Cause Severe Withdrawal Symptoms— Violent and Suicidal Thoughts – Watch This 2 Minute Video

There have been 22 international drug regulatory warnings issued on psychiatric drugs causing violence, mania, hostility, aggression, psychosis, and other violent type reactions. These warnings have been issued in the United States, European Union, Japan, United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.

Columbine

557864_576866502324264_1288575505_n_zpsa540061e.jpg

Your original posts are generally provocative and well worded, but your responses are hyperbolic and partisan. Do you copy this stuff from someone else?

Also, the examples you cite are fine. I applaud those people. I was referring to inept, marginally-functional gun nuts that are a real source of concern.

1. You may characterize my style in any way you see fit....I am certainly not a fence-sitter.

2.When I copy material I give the source or link.

3. Your slander of law-abiding gun owners deserved the comment, and more.

You are so far off target that you are in danger of shooting yourself in the foot.

"According to the National Self Defense Survey conducted by Florida State University criminologists in 1994, the rate of Defensive Gun Uses can be projected nationwide to approximately 2.5 million per year -- one Defensive Gun Use every 13 seconds."
Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense with a Gun," by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, in The Journal of Criminal Law & Criminology, Northwestern University School of Law, Volume 86, Number 1, Fall,

Forum List

Back