Gunsmoke

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
One of the most iconic Western series ever. It's the longest running western series and one of the longest running dramatic series (1955-1975). I've see all 635 episodes some years ago and they are still running them on TV. IMHO, what makes the series so popular is it's characters, Matt, Doc, and Kitty, all of which have won multiple Emmys. The list of guest stars is amazing. Although some of screenplays are rather dull, some are amazing.

1629507549485.png

Attachments

• 1629507421945.png
    1629507421945.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 33
My father loved that show. He watched it religiously.

I believe it’s currently running on one of the minor OTA networks like MeTV, GetTV, or Grit.

Festus , Doc interaction was always fun. They did commentary on a lot of Rodeos in character here in Florida. The TV show had a lot of up coming actors like Dennis Weaver and Burt Reynolds

Last edited:
One of the most iconic Western series ever. It's the longest running western series and one of the longest running dramatic series (1955-1975). I've see all 635 episodes some years ago and they are still running them on TV. IMHO, what makes the series so popular is it's characters, Matt, Doc, and Kitty, all of which have won multiple Emmys. The list of guest stars is amazing. Although some of screenplays are rather dull, some are amazing.

Old shows have a religious following in part because there was so little competition so people equated that with their coming of age.

Off on a tangent here, but the 80's sort of ruined television. That was when shows started having season long story arcs, cliffhangers, and the like where you seldom can just watch one stand alone episode with a beginning, middle, and end and make sense of it all. I am trying to watch all seasons of Chicago fire but it is a PITA because they have these One Chicago crossovers with the police series and the medical series. Fireman fighting for his life at the end of one episode and he is returning to work at the beginning of the next so you missed all the drama unless you watched the other series at the same time in the right order too. Total BS.

My father loved that show. He watched it religiously.

I believe it’s currently running on one of the minor OTA networks like MeTV, GetTV, or Grit.
It seems like it's always playing somewhere. Although many channels show episodes and it's available on some streaming services, I find it hard to find one that has all 20 seasons. Usually they will buy the first 6 seasons which are half hour episodes or season 7-11 which are 1 hour episodes or 12-20 which is in color. I think the best episodes are in seasons 7-11.

giphy.gif

Old shows have a religious following in part because there was so little competition so people equated that with their coming of age.

Off on a tangent here, but the 80's sort of ruined television. That was when shows started having season long story arcs, cliffhangers, and the like where you seldom can just watch one stand alone episode with a beginning, middle, and end and make sense of it all. I am trying to watch all seasons of Chicago fire but it is a PITA because they have these One Chicago crossovers with the police series and the medical series. Fireman fighting for his life at the end of one episode and he is returning to work at the beginning of the next so you missed all the drama unless you watched the other series at the same time in the right order too. Total BS.
Yes, I have noticed that to. Cliff hangers are more common today they weren't 50 or 60 years ago. Also the background story that runs throughout the session or the whole series is common. One things that started in the late 70's and 80's were the cutting of the number of episode per season. In the 50's and 60's most series had 34 to to 37 episodes per season. By the 80's it was down to about 25 to 28. Now it seems to be about 20 to 24.

Festus , Doc interaction was always fun. They did commentary on a lot of Rodeos in character here in Florida. The TV show had a lot of up coming actors like Dennis Weaver and Burt Reynolds
I was looking at a list of the guest stars and noticed all the top stars or the original Star Trek series appeared in the Gunsmoke episodes at one time or another. There have been hundreds of guest stars on Gunsmoke. Here's shorter list. The whole list is too long but you'll find Burt Reynolds, Harrison Ford, Bettie Davis, Charles Bronson, ect...
Claude Akins
Keith Andes
Jean Arthur
Ed Asner
Lew Ayres
Jim Backus
Richard Basehart
Ned Beatty
Noah Beery Jr.
Ed Begley
Ralph Bellamy
Theodore Bikel
Dan Blocker
Bruce Boxleitner
Beau Bridges
Charles Bronson
Edgar Buchanan
Michael Burns
Ellen Burstyn
Gary Busey
Sebastian Cabot
Joseph Campanella
J. D. Cannon
Harry Carey Jr
David Carradine
John Carradine
Lee J. Cobb
Chuck Connors
Mike Connor
Tim Considine
Robert Culp
Bette Davis
Jim Davis
Gloria DeHaven
John Dehner
Bruce Dern
William Devane
Angie Dickinson
James Doohan
Buddy Ebsen
Barbara Eden
Jack Elam
Sam Elliott
Nina Foch
Constance Ford
Harrison Ford
Steve Forrest
Jodie Foster
Anne Francis
Bert Freed
Melissa Gilbert
Thomas Gomez
Harold Gould
James Gregory
Joan Hackett
Alan Hale Jr.
Earl Holliman
Dennis Hopper
Ron Howard
Marsha Hunt
Betty Hutton
John Ireland
Brion James
Ben Johnson
DeForest Kelley
Jack Kelly
George Kennedy
Richard Kiley
Jack Klugman
Diane Ladd
Jack Lambert
Martin Landau
Robert Lansing
Cloris Leachman
June Lockhart
Gary Lockwood
Robert Loggia
Jack Lord
Darren McGavin
Lee Majors
Ross Martin
Strother Martin
Scott Marlowe
Vera Miles
Cameron Mitchell
Ricardo Montalban
Harry Morgan
Gene Nelson
Leonard Nimoy
Jeanette Nolan
Nick Nolte
Warren Oates
Carroll O'Connor
Tim O'Connor
James Olson
John Payne
Slim Pickens
Suzanne Pleshette
Michael J. Pollard
Denver Pyle
Pernell Roberts
Wayne Rogers
Gilbert Roland
Ruth Roman
Katharine Ross
Kurt Russell
Dick Sargent
John Saxon
William Shatner
Jacqueline Scott
Tom Skerritt
David Soul
Olan Soule
Harry Dean Stanton
Craig Stevens
Guy Stockwell
Loretta Swit
Gloria Talbott
Russ Tamblyn
Forrest Tucker
Cicely Tyson
Robert Urich
Lee Van Cleef
Joyce Van Patten
Vince Van Patten
Robert Vaughn
John Vernon
Jan-Michael Vincent
Jon Voight
Jess Walton
Lesley Ann Warren
Ruth Warrick
David Wayne
Fritz Weaver
Richard Webb
Stuart Whitman
James Whitmore
Johnny Whitaker
Grace Lee Whitney
Peter Whitney
Guinn Williams
Noble Willingham
Chill Wills
William Windom
Jason Wingreen
Michael Witney
Morgan Woodward
Meg Wyllie
Dana Wynter

When I grew up and wanted to become a doctor, the kind of doctor I wanted to be was Doc Adams.
Doc Adams was one of more interesting characters. In real life he was a very talented actor he played on Broadway, silent movies, sound movies, radio and TV. During his career he played in over 170 films, playing just about ever character you can image, from doctor to lawyer to banker to bank robber to pan hander, to cowpoke, to song and dance man, to politician to soldier, to space monster.
Milburn Stone - Wikipedia

Doc Adams was one of more interesting characters. In real life he was a very talented actor he played on Broadway, silent movies, sound movies, radio and TV. During his career he played in over 170 films, playing just about ever character you can image, from doctor to lawyer to banker to bank robber to pan hander, to cowpoke, to song and dance man, to politician to soldier, to space monster.
Milburn Stone - Wikipedia
Talented guy.

I was looking at a list of the guest stars and noticed all the top stars or the original Star Trek series appeared in the Gunsmoke episodes at one time or another. There have been hundreds of guest stars on Gunsmoke. Here's shorter list. The whole list is too long but you'll find Burt Reynolds, Harrison Ford, Bettie Davis, Charles Bronson, ect...
Claude Akins
Keith Andes
Jean Arthur
Ed Asner
Lew Ayres
Jim Backus
Richard Basehart
Ned Beatty
Noah Beery Jr.
Ed Begley
Ralph Bellamy
Theodore Bikel
Dan Blocker
Bruce Boxleitner
Beau Bridges
Charles Bronson
Edgar Buchanan
Michael Burns
Ellen Burstyn
Gary Busey
Sebastian Cabot
Joseph Campanella
J. D. Cannon
Harry Carey Jr
David Carradine
John Carradine
Lee J. Cobb
Chuck Connors
Mike Connor
Tim Considine
Robert Culp
Bette Davis
Jim Davis
Gloria DeHaven
John Dehner
Bruce Dern
William Devane
Angie Dickinson
James Doohan
Buddy Ebsen
Barbara Eden
Jack Elam
Sam Elliott
Nina Foch
Constance Ford
Harrison Ford
Steve Forrest
Jodie Foster
Anne Francis
Bert Freed
Melissa Gilbert
Thomas Gomez
Harold Gould
James Gregory
Joan Hackett
Alan Hale Jr.
Earl Holliman
Dennis Hopper
Ron Howard
Marsha Hunt
Betty Hutton
John Ireland
Brion James
Ben Johnson
DeForest Kelley
Jack Kelly
George Kennedy
Richard Kiley
Jack Klugman
Diane Ladd
Jack Lambert
Martin Landau
Robert Lansing
Cloris Leachman
June Lockhart
Gary Lockwood
Robert Loggia
Jack Lord
Darren McGavin
Lee Majors
Ross Martin
Strother Martin
Scott Marlowe
Vera Miles
Cameron Mitchell
Ricardo Montalban
Harry Morgan
Gene Nelson
Leonard Nimoy
Jeanette Nolan
Nick Nolte
Warren Oates
Carroll O'Connor
Tim O'Connor
James Olson
John Payne
Slim Pickens
Suzanne Pleshette
Michael J. Pollard
Denver Pyle
Pernell Roberts
Wayne Rogers
Gilbert Roland
Ruth Roman
Katharine Ross
Kurt Russell
Dick Sargent
John Saxon
William Shatner
Jacqueline Scott
Tom Skerritt
David Soul
Olan Soule
Harry Dean Stanton
Craig Stevens
Guy Stockwell
Loretta Swit
Gloria Talbott
Russ Tamblyn
Forrest Tucker
Cicely Tyson
Robert Urich
Lee Van Cleef
Joyce Van Patten
Vince Van Patten
Robert Vaughn
John Vernon
Jan-Michael Vincent
Jon Voight
Jess Walton
Lesley Ann Warren
Ruth Warrick
David Wayne
Fritz Weaver
Richard Webb
Stuart Whitman
James Whitmore
Johnny Whitaker
Grace Lee Whitney
Peter Whitney
Guinn Williams
Noble Willingham
Chill Wills
William Windom
Jason Wingreen
Michael Witney
Morgan Woodward
Meg Wyllie
Dana Wynter
Wow! Now I know I need to get the complete series!

Miss Kitty and Festus were my favorites when I was little!!!
When I was kid, Miss Kitty was my favorite. I thought she was gorgeous. It's funny that throughout the series she played the salon owner who took in wayward girls who's job was drink with customers but with never a hint of prostitutions. In the radio show she was clearly a Madam. Of course, Gunsmoke is part of the western folklore, that never existed. Marshal Dillion killed 407 people far more than any western lawman and Dodge City never had a US Marshal and the area around the real Dodge City did not resemble that in the TV show. But it's always fun to be transported back to the mythical west where criminals meet the speedy justice of Matt Dillion.

Forum List

Back