🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Happy New Year! Stanford May Have Just Cured Alzheimer's

Darkwind

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2009
Researchers discovered that nerve cells die because cells which are supposed to clear the brain of bacteria, viruses and dangerous deposits, stop working.

These cells, called ‘microglia’ function well when people are young, but when they age, a single protein called EP2 stops them operating efficiently.

Now scientists have shown that blocking the protein allows the microglia to function normally again so they can hoover up the dangerous sticky amyloid-beta plaques which damage nerve cells in Alzheimer’s disease.

The researchers found that, in mice, blocking EP2 with a drug reversed memory loss and myriad other Alzheimer’s-like features in the animals.

Fingers crossed and prayers offered for this to be the beginning...

Happy New Year Stanford May Have Just Cured Alzheimer s

I hope its true, my mother -in law has early onset Alzhimers

My Aunt just entered 4th stage dementia. This will come too late to help her even if they do discover a cure. Nevertheless, I'm praying that it is a significant break through if not a cure.

Looks likely this is still a decade away, even if the pathway proves to be feasible.

Remember lots of things crap out during further research after looking promising at a smaller scale.

snopes.com Stanford University Has Discovered an Alzheimer s Cure
Yes, but even so, its a hope that wasn't there before and to be honest, researchers always couch their findings in those kinds of neutral phrases just to have some deniability if it turns out they were wrong.

Looks likely this is still a decade away, even if the pathway proves to be feasible.

Remember lots of things crap out during further research after looking promising at a smaller scale.

Yes, but even so, its a hope that wasn't there before and to be honest, researchers always couch their findings in those kinds of neutral phrases just to have some deniability if it turns out they were wrong.

What you worry about is people getting false hopes, especially family members of those currently suffering, who will likely never see any benefits from this research if they have indeed found the mechanism that causes the brain damage found in Alzheimer's.

My issue isn't with the release of the information, its the way it was released, implying a "cure" may have been found, when what really has been discovered is a possible direct cause.

Researchers discovered that nerve cells die because cells which are supposed to clear the brain of bacteria, viruses and dangerous deposits, stop working.

These cells, called ‘microglia’ function well when people are young, but when they age, a single protein called EP2 stops them operating efficiently.

Now scientists have shown that blocking the protein allows the microglia to function normally again so they can hoover up the dangerous sticky amyloid-beta plaques which damage nerve cells in Alzheimer’s disease.

The researchers found that, in mice, blocking EP2 with a drug reversed memory loss and myriad other Alzheimer’s-like features in the animals.

I hope so. Both my parents are sufferers of Alzheimers.

Praise GOD. That is wonderful news. Thanks for sharing it. Lets hope that it is in use soon. Again, praise GOD for the miracle.

What you worry about is people getting false hopes, especially family members of those currently suffering, who will likely never see any benefits from this research if they have indeed found the mechanism that causes the brain damage found in Alzheimer's.

My issue isn't with the release of the information, its the way it was released, implying a "cure" may have been found, when what really has been discovered is a possible direct cause.
Well, zeal in looking for good news is a bad thing, but I don't really find the headline all that bad. After all, it does not say explicitly that the cure has been found. Only that they may have found a cure. I agree with you, its more along the lines of we've isolated a very likely culprit for a cause and effect phenomenon.

Since My aunt is in 4th stage, even if it were a cure they could start testing on this year, it will be 5 years minimum before they can administer the treatment. She doesn't have that many years.

Dreadful disease. I'm sorry your family has been touched by it.

I read that article on a different message board last week.

It's fantastic news.

Another fantastic development came a couple months ago when researchers were able to grow human brain cells in a lab. Which will open the door to allowing new drugs to be tested on human brain tissue for the first time.

My mom has alzheimers. It's a very evil disease. I hope that no one has to endure that evil disease soon because a cure has been found.

My heart goes out to you Bodeca. I know what you're going through. My mom has alzheimers. It's in the advanced stage now so it's very ugly.

My mom isn't the only one in our family who had or has alzheimers. It looks like it's a gene passed from generation to generation. My oldest sister took the gene test. My two other siblings and I have not.

I've watched it from beginning to end with a couple of people. The end is extremely evil in my opinion. They have horrible brain seizures and there's nothing that can be done to stop it. I'm not going to get any more descriptive than that.

Bodega if you ever need to vent or any support when you feel you have nothing left even for yourself, PM me. It's easier to get through when you have someone who is also going through the exact same thing.

May the Mother Goddess bless you and your family. May She help your parents be free from that evil disease.

You will be in my prayers.

Well, if this pans out, testing on humans will come soon, so some present patients with the disease may see some results sooner than 10 years, if they can become part of the 'trials''....

And we should all give thanks to our government for ''granting'' the money to colleges for this kind of research and development.... money well spent! imho!!!

:D

Forum List

Back