Hard rock and metal from the 80's.

I was born liking heavy music. Even before I knew the word for it, I came alive when I heard stuff like this on the radio:

My mom took me to Santana when I was 11 - 1972,

My first 2 concerts with friends were Blue Oyster Cult and then Rush and Ted Nugent in 1975,

My first concert was Metallica touring for the Black Album. It was one of the two arena shows I attended, the other was to see Ozzy years later. Most of my concert going experiences were had in small clubs which I definitely prefer over big venues. Even though they usually play arenas I would have loved see Slayer live but I always missed out for some reason or another.

When I first heard this song, I knew I found my niche:

My first concert was Metallica touring for the Black Album. It was one of the two arena shows I attended, the other was to see Ozzy years later. Most of my concert going experiences were had in small clubs which I definitely prefer over big venues. Even though they usually play arenas I would have loved see Slayer live but I always missed out for some reason or another.

My wife and I saw them in Ft Worth in 1998.

My love for the 70's still reigns, but 80's was a close second.

Rest in peace Bon and Malcomb. Your spirits live in every song like this one from 1988

If your true love is seventies I suggest playing mainly 70s. Good luck a cover band is tough rite now. My son worked his fingers to the bone getting his band started. Got to where he was playing some good venues then covid. He is bagging groceries now. One thing I did learn from his experience was that he had a difficult time getting originals accepted. The clubs and the audience wanted things they were use to hearing. He ended up doing alot of the Stones, Floyd, Beatles 70s stuff not 60s. He concentrated on the true gods of rock n roll and gradually added in originals and punk. After some time his band developed their own followers and he could get away with playing what he wanted. The other thing he did was make friends with a couple of all ready established bands and played venues with them. Cut down on set time to start and got his foot in the door at some of the larger venues quicker.

The term 'starving artist' has never become so omnipresent and pervasive in society since the depression.

Covid fucked the bar band and the bar . My boats stayed filled but tips were almost half a normal year. The rich drunks did not show up this year. Only out doors men. Income was down and so was the females only there for 3 to 5 days. I had to date locals, which meant having to care about feelings and the rumor mill. I hope and pray for normalcy this year. I make a shit load more money and alot more fun.

Unless you live in Sweden or Canada right ?

My love for the 70's still reigns, but 80's was a close second.

Rest in peace Bon and Malcomb. Your spirits live in every song like this one from 1988

If your true love is seventies I suggest playing mainly 70s. Good luck a cover band is tough rite now. My son worked his fingers to the bone getting his band started. Got to where he was playing some good venues then covid. He is bagging groceries now. One thing I did learn from his experience was that he had a difficult time getting originals accepted. The clubs and the audience wanted things they were use to hearing. He ended up doing alot of the Stones, Floyd, Beatles 70s stuff not 60s. He concentrated on the true gods of rock n roll and gradually added in originals and punk. After some time his band developed their own followers and he could get away with playing what he wanted. The other thing he did was make friends with a couple of all ready established bands and played venues with them. Cut down on set time to start and got his foot in the door at some of the larger venues quicker.

The term 'starving artist' has never become so omnipresent and pervasive in society since the depression.

Covid fucked the bar band and the bar . My boats stayed filled but tips were almost half a normal year. The rich drunks did not show up this year. Only out doors men. Income was down and so was the females only there for 3 to 5 days. I had to date locals, which meant having to care about feelings and the rumor mill. I hope and pray for normalcy this year. I make a shit load more money and alot more fun.

Unless you live in Sweden or Canada right ?

They get covid taken care of? I have nothing against Canadian or Swedish women. Swedish women I might not even have to talk to her plus blond hair and blue eyes are likely in that situation.

My headbanging days ran from about 1983 to 1995 --about the time our second boy was born--)

It was the first time I heard of Metallica pulling into Danny's ( a metal club in North Atlanta Ga) and they were blasting out the song Master of Puppets from a van.

Hard rock and metal from the 80's

There was none. By then, they had run out of original ideas and were merely creating variations on a theme for capital.

That said, there were still a lot of good new music. One of my favorites was the B-52s. I know they were a far cry from the traditional hard rock or metal, but I loved them. I loved their energy and total abandon.

Last edited:

There was none. By then, they had run out of original ideas and were merely creating variations on a theme........

Like I said, Ange, nothing wrong with it if that is what floats your boat but there is nothing new there, nothing original, just variations on a theme. At least with the B52s, they had a sound uniquely their own, "dance-rock." I don't even like to dance but their music made me want to.

But like I said, that's not to say I didn't come across music from the 1980s and later I didn't like or buy or find worth listening to!

• Soundgarden
  • Lemon Jelly
and others (bet you never heard of that last one).

There was none. By then, they had run out of original ideas and were merely creating variations on a theme........

Like I said, Ange, nothing wrong with it if that is what floats your boat but there is nothing new there, nothing original, just variations on a theme. At least with the B52s, they had a sound uniquely their own, "dance-rock." I don't even like to dance but their music made me want to.

But like I said, that's not to say I didn't come across music from the 1980s and later I didn't like or buy or find worth listening to!

• Soundgarden
  • Lemon Jelly
and others (bet you never heard of that last one).

If you were talking about the 90's we'd be on the same page, but
I'm still an old headbanger who lived through the 60's. 70's and 80's and from my perception
music progressed into the 80's with a lot of room for creativity and new music, which there was, only it got
lost in the clutter of everything else.

Forum List

Back