Hard rock and metal from the 80's.

If you were talking about the 90's we'd be on the same page, but
I'm still an old headbanger who lived through the 60's. 70's and 80's and from my perception
music progressed into the 80's with a lot of room for creativity and new music, which there was, only it got
lost in the clutter of everything else.

Well, I think your tastes in music are much broader than mine. I remember thinking in the late 70s (76-78) that music was essentially DEAD. I was trying to deal with the likes of Asia and Kraftwerk. All of the great bands of the 60s and 70s were basically GONE.

All I remember of the 1980s is MTV music videos. :SMILEW~130:

But there were still some good bands to come. Check out a band called UK if you never heard of them. Unlike Asia, they were a who's who superband of big names that actually WORKED.

Going from a debut album to playing in front of half a million people in 5 years.....

In fact didn't they headline this show?
Rabaaf8a8e5ab6bc33ac790fe3a80e813.jpeg

Last edited:
This 1984 album kicked ass. :thup: And Blackmore's guitar work on this song is amazing.

He gave us Dio too, but that was 70's.

Very true. As you can probably tell, I am a huge Ritchie Blackmore fan. He is widely regarded, but I don't think he gets credit for being one of the all time greats, which he is imho. I also think Michael Schenker is amazing, but few people outside of heavy metal fans know how good he is.

Very true. As you can probably tell, I am a huge Ritchie Blackmore fan. He is widely regarded, but I don't think he gets credit for being one of the all time greats, which he is imho. I also think Michael Schenker is amazing, but few people outside of heavy metal fans know how good he is.
True.
Richie Blackmore is in the same league
as Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana,
even Jimi Hendrix-- British music was a big influence on him,
not the other way around.

One of my favorite Yes songs from 1984

Are any of the actual original members of the band still in there?

Well obviously not Steve Howe or Bill Bruford.....I think Squire, Wakeman and Anderson
are the core anyway - Trevor Rabin filled in well in my opinion, but I was fortunate to see the original
band 'In the Round' show ( Alan White drums) in 1979. Tony Kaye in the video right ?

Technically this band started in the 70's. But this was there 80's peak.

I saw them open the 1979 'World Series of Rock'
at Cleveland Stadium. They were a last-minute addition that didn't make the poster......
KHJUUKHLTVELJO42DJTHAX3KOE.jpg

Second time seeing Thin Lizzy and Journey.
Saw Rush open for Ted Nugent in 1975

Last edited:

Well obviously not Steve Howe or Bill Bruford.....I think Squire, Wakeman and Anderson
are the core anyway - Trevor Rabin filled in well in my opinion, but I was fortunate to see the original
band 'In the Round' show ( Alan White drums) in 1979. Tony Kaye in the video right ?

Really? Wakeman was back by then for that?

Really? Wakeman was back by then for that?

Yep

Forum List

Back