Harris Gets Destroyed Over Price Controls BY.......

Foxy's revisionist history.

Don't get too excited. Don't underestimate the Democrat MSM's ability to sugar coat the worst they can dish out. But for sure the WSJ has it right.

Nixon's price controls in 1971 turned out to have disastrous consequences for the economy creating shortages and raising the misery index for Americans but those consequences were delayed long enough that he was overwhelmingly re-elected in 1972. It was perhaps the worst policy decision of his career.

Nixon only froze prices for 90 days.... Inflation continued because of other factors in the economy, such as winding down Vietnam, oil shocks, the rise of the German DM and Japanese Yen.

When Ford took over when Nixon resigned in 1974, he didn't dump the controls. His austerity programs and modest tax cuts helped delay the total effect somewhat but we were beginning to see some of the negative effects. And his pardon of Nixon was so repugnant to most Americans, he left office in 1977 as the only President to have never been elected either Vice President or President.

Actually, more to it than that. Yes, the WIN buttons were silly. But Ford got darned close, considering he had no real constituency in his own party, had beaten back an insurgency by Reagan, and he still only lost by 2.1% or 57 electoral votes.

And by the time Carter came along and retained and somewhat exacerbated those price controls, we not only saw inflation not controlled but it had spiraled into double digits. The infamous long gas lines for everybody cost Carter his re-election in 1980.

Yes, it did. But again, had nothing to do with price controls and more do to with oil shocks and currency devaluation.

Reagan removed the price controls while utilizing targeted tax cuts to spur increased production, but it was some time before inflation cooled and prices returned to normal. But the economy had so improved by 1984, he won 49 of the 50 states and almost got Mondale's Minnesota too.

Um, okay. He also destroyed the MIddle Class in the process... but most of us wouldn't feel that until later. He controlled inflation by running up unemployment to 11%, and people were happy to take pay cuts to keep working.

Yet she's beating Trump like a red-headed stepchild.

Orange-headed stepchild?

I doubt it. It's a lot closer than your precious biased MSM is telling you

And you're the last one to be claiming you have a lick of common sense. That and you're clueless on about every topic you engage in

Basic economics even my fourth graders understand:

When you tell companies they can't make even the razor margins they make....

They just stop making it. So, bread lines.

But don't believe me, the WaPo destroyed this too.
Inflation is 14% and profits are up 75% and you don`t know why so many people hate unfettered Capitalism? I hope Dear Leader never finds out that you`re reading a MAGA banned newspaper.

Not all the time, sport.

Price gouging is generally illegal during a declared state of emergency or disaster, but not always. Price gouging is defined as raising prices to maximize profit at the expense of the public. Most laws apply to essential items, such as food, water, and housing, and only during a state of emergency. However, some laws also consider whether the seller had a good reason to raise prices during the emergency. For example, retailers can raise prices as supply and demand change, but this might be considered price gouging by some.

By definition, price gauging is always illegal.

Basic economics even my fourth graders understand:

When you tell companies they can't make even the razor margins they make....

They just stop making it. So, bread lines.

But don't believe me, the WaPo destroyed this too.
If they were working on razor thin margins, you might have a point. The record profits reported don't indicate razor thin margins.

I've recently read that Harris has a leadership style that is comparable to Winston Churchill.

We shall see if she can guide us thru our American version of the Blitz.

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Foxy's revisionist history.

Nixon only froze prices for 90 days.... Inflation continued because of other factors in the economy, such as winding down Vietnam, oil shocks, the rise of the German DM and Japanese Yen.

Actually, more to it than that. Yes, the WIN buttons were silly. But Ford got darned close, considering he had no real constituency in his own party, had beaten back an insurgency by Reagan, and he still only lost by 2.1% or 57 electoral votes.

Yes, it did. But again, had nothing to do with price controls and more do to with oil shocks and currency devaluation.

Um, okay. He also destroyed the MIddle Class in the process... but most of us wouldn't feel that until later. He controlled inflation by running up unemployment to 11%, and people were happy to take pay cuts to keep working.
After a 90-day freeze, increases would have to be approved by a “Pay Board” and a “Price Commission,” with an eye toward eventually lifting controls — conveniently, after the 1972 election.

Forum List

Back