🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Harry Reid kills 'Kate's Law'

The proposed measure is a 'solution' in search of a problem, with drastic unintended consequences.

The proposed measure is yet another example of the right's inane, unwarranted hostility toward Hispanic immigrants – nothing more than political fear-mongering and demagoguery.

'Despite the public rancor, immigrants are generally less likely to commit crimes than the native population, according to the The Wall Street Journal. Mandatory minimums are generally ineffective at reducing crime or recidivism. Anti-illegal-immigration advocates who complain about the burden on the American taxpayer might find a 28 percent increase in the federal prison budget counterproductive. But these are relatively minor points in the debate. What matters is the all-too-familiar refrain: Something must be done.
[...]
If the proposal became law, its impact would be dramatic. “Kate’s Law would suck up every dime you saved from criminal-justice reform and negate it,” said Molly Gill, a government-affairs counsel at FAMM. Undocumented immigrants typically serve between 15 to 18 months in prison under the current sentencing laws before deportation, Gill said. [The Bill's] proposal would boost that average by 300 percent. Housing the Kate’s Law inmates for longer periods of time would cost the U.S. Bureau of Prisons an estimated $2 billion per year, according to FAMM. The bureau’s annual budget request for all of 2015 was $7 billion.'

The Trouble with Kate's Law

The proposed measure is a 'solution' in search of a problem, with drastic unintended consequences.

The proposed measure is yet another example of the right's inane, unwarranted hostility toward Hispanic immigrants – nothing more than political fear-mongering and demagoguery.

'Despite the public rancor, immigrants are generally less likely to commit crimes than the native population, according to the The Wall Street Journal. Mandatory minimums are generally ineffective at reducing crime or recidivism. Anti-illegal-immigration advocates who complain about the burden on the American taxpayer might find a 28 percent increase in the federal prison budget counterproductive. But these are relatively minor points in the debate. What matters is the all-too-familiar refrain: Something must be done.
[...]
If the proposal became law, its impact would be dramatic. “Kate’s Law would suck up every dime you saved from criminal-justice reform and negate it,” said Molly Gill, a government-affairs counsel at FAMM. Undocumented immigrants typically serve between 15 to 18 months in prison under the current sentencing laws before deportation, Gill said. [The Bill's] proposal would boost that average by 300 percent. Housing the Kate’s Law inmates for longer periods of time would cost the U.S. Bureau of Prisons an estimated $2 billion per year, according to FAMM. The bureau’s annual budget request for all of 2015 was $7 billion.'

We get it...

The Democrats want illegals that have been deported for FELONIES to come back and vote for Hillary...

And if they end up killing innocent US citizens, "What does it matter"...

Even the name is a bad idea. You make law out of one case.

The RWers strategy of putting a persons name on a law is just a way of them getting federal government involved in local issues...

GOP = BIG FED GOVERNMENT

The RWers strategy of putting a persons name on a law is just a way of them getting federal government involved in local issues...

GOP = BIG FED GOVERNMENT
Sure, RW strategy. There's Caylee's Law , Magan's Law, Jenna's Law, Kathy's Law, and how about the Brady Bill?!

[...]

We get it...

The Democrats want illegals that have been deported for FELONIES to come back and vote for Hillary...

As I read this it does not seem that this just applies to criminal aliens that return. it seems to apply to ALL of them. Do you seriously want to pay to house and feed these people for 6 years in a prison? I don't and do not see any reason to do so. IF the bill only applied to section b then I think I could support it. It also applies to section a where felonies are not even mentioned.

The text of the law is really rather short:
Text - H.R.3011 - 114th Congress (2015-2016): Kate's Law
And the law it applies to:
8 USC 1326: Reentry of removed aliens

Our far right reactionaries are more criminal than immigrant Hispanics. And it costs us $2 billion tax dollars. The bill is only a win for prison guard unions and private prison corporations.

[...]

We get it...

As I read this it does not seem that this just applies to criminal aliens that return. it seems to apply to ALL of them. Do you seriously want to pay to house and feed these people for 6 years in a prison? I don't and do not see any reason to do so. IF the bill only applied to section b then I think I could support it. It also applies to section a where felonies are not even mentioned.

How about if we apply it to felons...
Illegal Reentry into the U.S. After Removal: Crime and Punishment - FindLaw

After an alien has been legally "removed" from the United States, federal criminal law makes it a felony for that alien to reenter (or be found in) the country without approval of the government.

What Constitutes "Illegal Reentry"?

Under the applicable federal criminal statute, the Immigration and Nationality Act, it is not merely illegal reentry after removal that constitutes the crime. Rather, the law applies to any alien who reenters the U.S. or is found within the country, without government approval, after having been:

• Denied admission to the U.S.;

• Excluded from the U.S.;

• Deported from the U.S.;

• Removed from the U.S.; or

• Departed from the U.S. while an order of exclusion, deportation, or removal is outstanding.

- See more at: Illegal Reentry into the U.S. After Removal: Crime and Punishment - FindLaw

[...]

We get it...

How about if we apply it to felons...
Illegal Reentry into the U.S. After Removal: Crime and Punishment - FindLaw

After an alien has been legally "removed" from the United States, federal criminal law makes it a felony for that alien to reenter (or be found in) the country without approval of the government.

What Constitutes "Illegal Reentry"?

Under the applicable federal criminal statute, the Immigration and Nationality Act, it is not merely illegal reentry after removal that constitutes the crime. Rather, the law applies to any alien who reenters the U.S. or is found within the country, without government approval, after having been:

• Denied admission to the U.S.;

• Excluded from the U.S.;

• Deported from the U.S.;

• Removed from the U.S.; or

• Departed from the U.S. while an order of exclusion, deportation, or removal is outstanding.

- See more at: Illegal Reentry into the U.S. After Removal: Crime and Punishment - FindLaw
And that is not a list of the 'dangerous' criminals that this law is supposed to address.

None of those make ans sense to jail for 6 years. The only ones that should be jailed for a significant amount of time are those that are dangerous criminals. The rest that are caught/deported need to go back so we are not paying for room and board. I don't think the existing 2 years is insufficient for those that are not dangerous.

[...]

Hey dumb fuck. Spin doctor...the one that killed Kate was an illegal...

You love to blur the lines between criminals and not....

GOP = BIG FED GOVERNMENT
Sure, RW strategy. There's Caylee's Law , Magan's Law, Jenna's Law, Kathy's Law, and how about the Brady Bill?!

If you were really honest you would of said what about the 1968 gun law?

But we all know democrats don't what that law enforced as much as the republicans

A better strategy would be to kick illegals out. Stop them at the border. They are illegal, after all. No new laws need be written. Enforce the laws we have. Oh sorry. That makes too much sense. Tell you what. Those troubled by the harsh word "illegal" can call them "undocumented". They still need to leave no matter t if it makes you feel betteru

GOP = BIG FED GOVERNMENT

But we all know democrats don't what that law enforced as much as the republicans
Don't question my honesty for leaving out one particular law, please. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Those were off the top of my head- for the victim laws. RW law makers can be stupid too, you know. Now, the Brady Bill.. more knee jerk than a rubber hammer convention.

A better strategy would be to kick illegals out. Stop them at the border. They are illegal, after all. No new laws need be written. Enforce the laws we have. Oh sorry. That makes too much sense. Tell you what. Those troubled by the harsh word "illegal" can call them "undocumented". They still need to leave no matter t if it makes you feel betteru

GOP = BIG FED GOVERNMENT

Don't question my honesty for leaving out one particular law, please. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Those were off the top of my head- for the victim laws. RW law makers can be stupid too, you know. Now, the Brady Bill.. more knee jerk than a rubber hammer convention.

My apologies, didn't read your post right.

Forum List

Back