Harry S. Truman regretted forming the CIA

Locke11_21

Democrat Party - the REAL Fascist Party
Dec 31, 2011
Bay State
Very interesting article regarding the President who had the CIA formed, then later regretted he ever did it.

Also, keep in mind, Jimmy Carter had a battle with the CIA. He felt they got to out of control and corrupt, he fired many higher ups in the corrupt agency.

Truman Was Right About the CIA

Last edited:
Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA by Tim Weiner is a fascinating book. Frustrating. Maddening.

Truman wasn't alone:

When presidents finally faced the reality that the agency was bumbling, they could be bitter. Reviewing the C.I.A.’s record after his two terms in office, Dwight Eisenhower told the director, Allen Dulles, “I have suffered an eight-year defeat on this.” He would “leave a legacy of ashes” for his successor. A fan of Ian Fleming’s spy stories, John F. Kennedy was shocked to be introduced to the man described by C.I.A. higher-ups as their James Bond — the fat, alcoholic, unstable William Harvey, who ran a botched attempt to eliminate Fidel Castro by hiring the Mafia. Ronald Reagan went along with the desire of his C.I.A. director, William Casey, to bring back the mythical glory days by “unleashing” the agency — and his presidency was badly undermined by the Iran-contra affair.

Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA - Tim Weiner - Books - Review

Forum List

Back