Have you been "framed" by your eye center?

Raynine

VIP Member
Oct 28, 2023
I'm getting cataract surgery in November. I've put it off long enough. I want to get in another season of 50-mile-a-day cycling and I read 20-25 on my eye test so I can see well enough and had no trouble passing the driver's eye test. My prescription has not changed much for several years so the lenses I have were issued to me long ago and are still in good shape. The problem is the expensive cheaply made frames that are designed to break. One set of frames broke on the bridge when I was sitting in my car. The bridge was just a thin piece of junk metal. It was made to break. The trick they use is when you try to get replacement frames. Oh, we don't make those frames any more; you'll have to get new lenses-$600.

When they pulled this trick on me the last time I got some plastic frames identical to what my wife had because they had a thick plastic bridge. My wife has already had cataract surgery and her old frames were in a drawer. Guess what? Those wife-identical frames that I was wearing broke on the side piece that goes on the ears. For some reason the side piece was made it two pieces and it fell apart. It fell apart because it was designed to fall apart so I would have to get new lenses-$600.

Anyway, tomorrow I am going to the eye center with my broken frames and my wife's intact old identical frames so they can take the side piece off hers and put it on mine. Savings-$600.

This eyeglass frame racket has been going on for as long as I can remember. Is anyone else aware of this scam? What happened to all these watchdog organizations that are supposed to look out for us?

I'm getting cataract surgery in November. I've put it off long enough. I want to get in another season of 50-mile-a-day cycling and I read 20-25 on my eye test so I can see well enough and had no trouble passing the driver's eye test. My prescription has not changed much for several years so the lenses I have were issued to me long ago and are still in good shape. The problem is the expensive cheaply made frames that are designed to break. One set of frames broke on the bridge when I was sitting in my car. The bridge was just a thin piece of junk metal. It was made to break. The trick they use is when you try to get replacement frames. Oh, we don't make those frames any more; you'll have to get new lenses-$600.

When they pulled this trick on me the last time I got some plastic frames identical to what my wife had because they had a thick plastic bridge. My wife has already had cataract surgery and her old frames were in a drawer. Guess what? Those wife-identical frames that I was wearing broke on the side piece that goes on the ears. For some reason the side piece was made it two pieces and it fell apart. It fell apart because it was designed to fall apart so I would have to get new lenses-$600.

Anyway, tomorrow I am going to the eye center with my broken frames and my wife's intact old identical frames so they can take the side piece off hers and put it on mine. Savings-$600.

This eyeglass frame racket has been going on for as long as I can remember. Is anyone else aware of this scam? What happened to all these watchdog organizations that are supposed to look out for us?

I had that problem when an elderly relative broke her frames and was too sickly to go for a new exam. They will next say oh the prescription is too old so now you have to have another exam too. There is another workaround if you can find someone to do it---opticians can reverse engineer the prescription and create the right lenses with the right prescription that will fit the new frames. You will need to find a local owned one with no affiliation to a optometrist to do it though otherwise they will claim they can't.

Meh, when my mom broke the arm off her glasses I just took the down to the place where she bought them and they put two new arms on them free of charge.

Most reputable places offer free repair of glasses....Even if totaled they will replace them with a like pair for around half price....They could give two shits about the age of the prescription.

Meh, when my mom broke the arm off her glasses I just took the down to the place where she bought them and they put two new arms on them free of charge.

Most reputable places offer free repair of glasses....Even if totaled they will replace them with a like pair for around half price....They could give two shits about the age of the prescription.
That is the way it used to work but now they say those frames are discontinued and they have no spare parts. $$$$$.

That is the way it used to work but now they say those frames are discontinued and they have no spare parts. $$$$$.
I went to the eye center with my broken frames and as I suspected they no longer have those frames. I had my wife's old frames and the identical frames with the broken side piece. A technician put my lenses in those frames. So I have those. The lenses from my latest broken frames were almost the same size so the technician put those frames in frames off the shelf I had to pay for $150. There is a tiny gap at the top so I filled it wth epoxy. This gives me a spare set if something happens. Cataract surgery in November.

Forum List

Back