Hebrew Calendar

Sherlock Holmes

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2024
This thread is to explore the Hebrew Calendar and the relationship between Biblical dates and dates in the modern world using the pagan Roman calendar. I started the thread here as there are likely several people with insights into this here.

Consider Haggai 2:20

And again the word of the Lord came to Haggai on the twenty-fourth day of the [9th] month, saying, “Speak to Zerubbabel, governor of Judah, saying:

My question is, what date in the Gregorian calendar would correspond to that date in 1917?

Last edited:
It might be December 9th, 1917

Yes, that seems to be the case, coincidentally that was the day that the Turks surrendered Jerusalem to the British.

1723136036256.png

Yes, that seems to be the case, coincidentally that was the day that the Turks surrendered Jerusalem to the British.
The biblical date, though, was before the days were added to the Julian calendar to make the Gregorian. I'm not sure if that has any practical impact here though.

The biblical date, though, was before the days were added to the Julian calendar to make the Gregorian. I'm not sure if that has any practical impact here though.

Yes, I suspect that's "taken care of" already, it's very unlikely that the Jews would mess up their dates at all, their calendar was never derived from the Roman calendar. I did read though that in ancient times (within Biblical history) the starts/ends of certain months or periods was based on observation and the Hebrew calendar we have today is no longer based on those kinds of observations.

Jerusalem was lost by people following the calendar of Mecca,

in favor of people following the calendar of the land,

to celebrate her, and her seasons.

Last edited:
Yes, I suspect that's "taken care of" already, it's very unlikely that the Jews would mess up their dates at all, their calendar was never derived from the Roman calendar. I did read though that in ancient times (within Biblical history) the starts/ends of certain months or periods was based on observation and the Hebrew calendar we have today is no longer based on those kinds of observations.
I know that some calendar converters have trouble with ancient dates because of the added days.

The new months were figured out through observation and interrogating witnesses but that practice was abandoned and replaced with a mathematically figured permanent calendar.

Jerusalem was lost by people following the calendar of Mecca,

in favor of people following the calendar of the land.
What is the "Calendar of Mecca"? Are you implying some connection to Islam? That theology began after 600 AD, quite a few years after Jerusalem was lost. The Hebrew calendar is a lunar calendar based on 19 year cycles.

What is the "Calendar of Mecca"? Are you implying some connection to Islam? That theology began on 600 AD, quite a few years after Jerusalem was lost. The Hebrew calendar is a lunar calendar based on 19 year cycles.

If it was a lunar calendar we'd end up with the same problem Muslims face with the Ramadan never having a set date or a season. But Torah obliges the Passover is held at a specific season, which is why our sages have calculated all the dates centuries ahead (to milisecond precision) based on both the lunar and solar seasons.

That you utter such nonsense with presumed authority only shows,
you neither know anything about the subject,
nor value your word much.

If it was a lunar calendar we'd end up with the same problem Muslims face with the Ramadan never having a set date or a season. But Torah obliges the Passover is held at a specific season, which is why our sages have calculated all the dates (to milisecond precision) based on both the lunar and solar calendars.

That you utter such nonsense with authority only shows you neither know anything about the subject, nor value your word much.

1723137146717.png

Lunisolar calendar

Do you know what the word "month" means?

Do you actually understand what it says sherlock?

Before you go into cycles, you have to learn,
how one calendar follows both lunar
and solar progression in general.

And that's a secret Jews won't teach,
but the results, didn't change even
with the advent of satellites.
I asked you what is this "Calendar of Mecca" you haven't answered me yet.

I asked you what is this "Calendar of Mecca" you haven't answered me yet.

That's the calendar Muslims follow,
which is usually set by lunar sight,
specifically in Arabia.

Dates skip entire seasons,
no set time for Ramadan etc...

That's the calendar Muslims follow,
which is usually set by lunar sight,
specifically in Arabia.

Dates skip solar seasons.

Well I wasn't concerned with other calendars, I was asking specifically about the Hebrew calendar.

I made no mention of any Muslim-Arabian calendar, go to the OP and read it, something you obviously forget to do quite regularly.

Then explain what your first post #6 has to do with the OP.

I made no mention of any Muslim-Arabian calendar, go to the OP and read it, something you obviously forget to do quite regularly.

Then explain what your first post #6 has to do with the OP.

Dude, re-read your own posts, how do you get confused so quickly?

It's was you who falsely claimed the Hebrew calendar was lunar,
which is why the specifically lunar Muslim-Arabian calendar,
was brought to the discussion...

Can you keep up, sherlock?

Forum List

Back