Hellgate: Democracy Debutante

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a modernism-paranoia exchange between Marvel Comics' Kingpin (a ruthless tycoon with ties to the underworld) and Wolverine (genetically-enhanced knuckle-blade wielding wolfen-human chasing a nemesis).

====

KINGPIN: Capitalism is a breeding-ground for piracy!
WOLVERINE: Why join in on the fun?
KINGPIN: I have no 'game-plan' for complete revolution.
WOLVERINE: What about 'pockets-of-rebellions' and media?
KINGPIN: Modern media is a swamp for trollers...
WOLVERINE: The Hellgate leads us into self-destruction.
KINGPIN: I'm not a natural cynic; only an empirical one.
WOLVERINE: Empiricism is awesome (Yale University); I care about liberty.
KINGPIN: Liberty can come through power (as well as metaphysics!).
WOLVERINE: Charity is a sign of intelligence...
KINGPIN: Your faith makes you a 'primal' Democrat!
WOLVERINE: I don't know if you're Ronald Reagan or Satan.
KINGPIN: Facebook will cure humanity of its own mindless boredom.
WOLVERINE: I'm not opposed to Burger King bringing back mushroom-Swiss burgers!

====

{Kingpin & Wolverine}

hellgate1.jpg

NYC Chit-Chat: Demonic Doctorate

maguire.jpg

====

Jerry Maguire found out about all these 'underworld meanderings' between Kingpin and Wolverine and wanted to 'capitalize' on media-spotlighted social fervor towards American Dream 'folklore.' Maguire was a sports agent working for SMI and then self-employed (with only 1 agent --- Randy Moss). Maguire was curious about this prophetic 'Hellgate' that Kingpin and Wolverine were discussing. Maguire was a humble fan of Notre Dame college football (NBC-TV) and wanted the newfound excitement about Super Bowl 52 [2018] to create new marketing 'angles.'

The dominating New England Patriots were facing the underdog team of the new millennium, the Philadelphia Eagles (having reached a whopping 6 NFC Championship games since 2000 but winning only two of them!) in Super Bowl 52. The Goliath-like Patriots QB Tom Brady was considered invincible and well-settled in his years, while the Eagles were 'running-gun' with their young backup QB Nick Foles, forced to steer the team after the loss of the team's star-phenom QB Carson Wentz to a season-ending injury. Foles, however, posted psychologically inspired late-season victories over the Rams, Giants, Falcons, and then the Vikings.

Maguire schemed to exploit this 'underdog-sentiment' towards the Eagles by promoting an NFC rivalry marketing campaign linking the Philadelphia Eagles with the New Orleans Saints. The Saints boasted a 'comparable' team ethos and coordination philosophy and like the Eagles had not succeeded in triumphing over the Patriots. The Eagles, on the other hand(!), were trying to avenge their loss to the Patriots in Super Bowl 39 [2004]. Maguire wanted to post images of the Eagles bird next to paintings of Saints in varied orientations/circumstances. Was the Hellgate (Kingpin and Wolverine were discussing) securely benign?

====

trio2.jpg

Forum List

Back