Help Me Book My Disney Trip

You didn't mention kids...is this a family trip then?
If there are no kids going...then I would skip Disney. It is over-the-top expensive, the streets are lined with stores to buy Disney crap, the park is out-dated and you will spend most of your time walking around looking at Disney stuff...to buy.
Epcot is the best part.
The Disney park itself is boring, super commercialized and not a heckuva lot to do unless standing in lines and shopping in 20 different stores all carrying the same items is your thing.

it wasn't always like that*sigh*.....last time I went was....wow, 85? I went 3 times during the 70's.....it was great.

Yep...I went...let's see...around 1980 or so...thought it was the greatest place on earth. Then when I had kids my wife and I went 98? The town was transformed from a neat place with lots of cool stuff and artisans making things to a warehouse of Chinese made stuffed animals and clothing.

Attachments

• $disney-gift-shop.jpg
    $disney-gift-shop.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 57
Hi guys, planning a trip to Disney this summer. Yeah, i know summer is hot but that is the only time available. I have already booked airfare, hotel and car. Now, i just need to know how to bundle the attractions, plan stuff out and best way to get meals and keep the costs down with that. We are planning to go about 14 days. Want to see Sea World, Discovery Cove, Aquatica, Universal, Magic Kingdom and maybe some dinner shows and Blue Man group., etc. Also plan to ride the Itrolley around for convenience. Any advice would be great.

DON'T do Universal first - because when you do Disney second, the kids are going to want to go back to Universal.......

I have 3 kids, 16, 14, and 10. So defininitely going to be a kid friendly vacation.

Then by all means go to Disney.
It will be pretty exhausting for you - but your kids will have fun.
Although rightwinger is right - Universal is better for their age - Disney is for 12 and under

Last edited:
I have 3 kids, 16, 14, and 10. So defininitely going to be a kid friendly vacation.

Then by all means go to Disney.
It will be pretty exhausting for you - but your kids will have fun.

A 16 and a 14 year old are not going to have a blast at Disney....

The evening stuff (parade, fireworks) - yes - but the "It's a Small World" crap daylight hours, nope.

No kidding...of all the spots in Florida the Disney tourist trap is the last place anyone not with kids should go.
I did me Disney homage years ago with our two kids. Thank God Epcot was at least there to break up the torturous boredom of Disney.
And holy hell was everything expensive there!!

Screw that. My last Florida trip was Jacksonville Beach...not too crowded, nice restaurants and plenty of beach.

The old Spanish city of Saint Augustine. :thup:
(Though the last time I was there was in 69)

Yes but he has 14 days. You can't spend 14 days in Jax, hell after about the 2nd day there I'm done. It's pretty boring there.

Not at all.
It is a good place to relax, eat decent food and drink beer at night.
Jax isn't for 20 somethings. It is better suited for the 35 and above crowd.

If you are going for 14 days I would consider booking a three or four day cruise to the Bahamas. Cruises leave out of Port Canaveral which is about an hour away. They end up costing less per day than visiting a theme park when you look at room, meals and admission prices

It also breaks up going to a theme park every day which gets tedious

If you are going for 14 days I would consider booking a three or four day cruise to the Bahamas. Cruises leave out of Port Canaveral which is about an hour away. They end up costing less per day than visiting a theme park when you look at room, meals and admission prices

Good idea...and for a family of five...especially since it includes food and drinks...I bet the cruise isn't terribly more than the same 3-4 days at Disney.

Good idea...and for a family of five...especially since it includes food and drinks...I bet the cruise isn't terribly more than the same 3-4 days at Disney.

I took that cruise out of Port Canaveral and ended up paying under $100 a person per day. About what you pay for theme park admission and it includes a cabin and meals.

Kids loved it

For the 4 Disney theme parks, as well as the 2 water parks, definitely upgrade to the Hopper Passes. This way you can hit the Studios with Rock n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror, which the teens will love, then hop over to the Magic Kingdom for Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain and Space Mountain, and end at EPCOT with a ride on Soarin', Test Track and catch Illuminations. There are some really great Disney message boards out there to give you lots of insider tips to make for a more enjoyable visit. I've been over 20 times in my life, mostly with my kids, and have lots of magical memories.:)

No kidding...of all the spots in Florida the Disney tourist trap is the last place anyone not with kids should go.
I did me Disney homage years ago with our two kids. Thank God Epcot was at least there to break up the torturous boredom of Disney.
And holy hell was everything expensive there!!

Screw that. My last Florida trip was Jacksonville Beach...not too crowded, nice restaurants and plenty of beach.

Yes but he has 14 days. You can't spend 14 days in Jax, hell after about the 2nd day there I'm done. It's pretty boring there.

Obviously you don't surf.

Not at all.
It is a good place to relax, eat decent food and drink beer at night.
Jax isn't for 20 somethings. It is better suited for the 35 and above crowd.

You can do that in Orlando, Daytona, Tampa, Palm Beach, Melbourne, and Titusville as well.

Last edited:

I used to when I was able to squat.

When I did, we went to Cocoa Beach or south of Smyrna. Surfing in Jax isn't very good.

I used to when I was able to squat.

When I did, we went to Cocoa Beach or south of Smyrna. Surfing in Jax isn't very good.

I live at the Jersey shore and it's not exactly amazing here either, but it's what I have. Jax has a longer warm season so regardless of wave size I would at least be able to enjoy a longer season. I don't suit up and surf in the cold months anymore.

OK. I booked a 2 week trip to Disney! Should be fun. The kids have never been there and i was there once when i was a small child. We booked off property. I did look at on property but really half of our trip technically won't be Disney but Universal, Sea World, Discovery Cove and so forth. So, where to eat! We would like to have some really great meals. And do i have to get reservations in advance? I really prefer for lunch to be the bigger meal of the day instead of dinner cuz i don't like to eat later in the evening. And, what were some of your favorite or little known places to eat, go or see? Is there any Laser Tag there cuz my boys love that?

You didn't mention kids...is this a family trip then?
If there are no kids going...then I would skip Disney. It is over-the-top expensive, the streets are lined with stores to buy Disney crap, the park is out-dated and you will spend most of your time walking around looking at Disney stuff...to buy.
Epcot is the best part.
The Disney park itself is boring, super commercialized and not a heckuva lot to do unless standing in lines and shopping in 20 different stores all carrying the same items is your thing.

I don't think I'll ever step foot in the Magic Kingdom again. Not from your post, but from past experience. Of all the Disney parks, the MK is by far the most crowded and boring ... imho. Last time I was there, my youngest was in a carraige. I spent most of my time bumping into people's ankles as they walked or cut out in front of us. It was hot and over crowded and I was irritable. Not a good combination.

Hi guys, planning a trip to Disney this summer. Yeah, i know summer is hot but that is the only time available. I have already booked airfare, hotel and car. Now, i just need to know how to bundle the attractions, plan stuff out and best way to get meals and keep the costs down with that. We are planning to go about 14 days. Want to see Sea World, Discovery Cove, Aquatica, Universal, Magic Kingdom and maybe some dinner shows and Blue Man group., etc. Also plan to ride the Itrolley around for convenience. Any advice would be great.

A year ago April, my family and I were down in the Disney area. We did Universal ... Islands of Adventure ... Sea World and Aquatica. In fact, I'm currently working on finishing up our scrapbook from our trip.

Love Universal. That is one of my favorite parks. Please ... please go and see the Monster Movie Makeup Show! It's inside in air conditioning and it's a great show! Don't miss it! On a side note I'd like to admit that the mummys (on stilts) walking around outside the Mummy ride scared the ba-geezus out of me!

Aquatica .... meh. It's okay as far as water parks go. It's small. Smaller than many others. We rented a cabana the day we visited. That was nice having our own private little spot.

Sea World ... LOVE it! I've been several times but I have to tell you .... out of all the parks, I swear we did more walking around Sea World than any other. I think it might be the way the park is set up but really .... lots and lots of walking. Please ... see the land and sea show. I don't remember what it's called but it has both marine life and some amazing and beautiful birds.

Blow off the Magic Kingdom.
Visit Epcot instead.

Forum List

Back