Help the Homeless

Wife and three daughters take food to them about once every 2 months from the church.

Not talking the shelters either. They take it to the tent cities located in the woods around here. This Christmas though they are taking gifts to a local nursing home.

I've posted this in another thread, but a couple weeks ago a local couple's house burnt down and they were staying at the hotel and could only afford a few night's stay.
Here's the confirm email I got from the hotel:

Dear Mr. ------

This letter is to confirm that you have paid for one night stay for the Goetz family.

You paid for 2 rooms, with your MC, totaling amount being$92.82. This was for the fire victim family Goetz.

Thank you for your help,

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me Front Desk Manager,

We have families that live in homeless shelters in our school.

Don't forget the families and their kids.

Clothing, toys, food.....

Call your local inner-city schools and see how you can help. Even school supplies such as crayons and pencils, etc...are needed for these kids.

We all have so much 'junk'-and they have so little.

Merry Christmas y'all!

PS-I made this a sticky Art!

the irony of all the foreclosures ...houses sitting empty and yet there are homeless families needing shelter...sometimes all people need is hope and a bit of a hand towards a new start

i think it is hard for most people to realize....sometimes its just the price of a haircut that stands between you and a job.....imagine your future depending on a cheap haircut...

Damn good point there Bones, damn good point.

I already do - all year, not just at Christmas. However, I will be waitressing at their Christmas Lunch next week... on 20th.

Interestingly.... about a year ago, I was working with this homeless guy.... teaching computer skills, improving his communication skills, role playing interviews and shit... So, last January, he got a job. Last week, he came into the center - with a box of chocolates for me... to say 'thanks' for helping him. He's been employed for almost a year, got an apartment, stayed off drink and drugs, has a girlfriend and is generally doing really well.

There is no better gift for me than to see him doing so well.

That is awesome CG. :thup:

This thread is a rare gem sparkling in the sewer vat which is USMB.

Excellent job A15 and everyone!

It is not only for what we do that we are held responsible, but also for what we do not do.

- Moliere

BUMP....the homeless are just like you and me only something went wrong on them so try and help them out....its getting colder now too so get out there ASAP!

It could be you!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPb9UpI3PJc]Boston Homeless couple tells about life on the streets - YouTube[/ame]

We were in Chicago last weekend. Cup-shakers everywhere.
I made a point of dropping some coin every chance I got.
I said "good luck to you".
Which was always answered with "thank you".

Sometimes I say "no booze- no drugs".
One time a guy replied - "hey I like to get my drunk on once in a while".
So I said ok then- no drugs.

And street musicians- I always drop a few bits in the bucket. Support the arts! :thup:

I grew up homeless, back when there was no help whatsoever for the homeless. There were no food banks, or shelters, or even medical care. There was nothing.

I guarantee you that if my parents had access to the kind of help given to the homeless today, my Dad would NEVER have gotten a job. I would never have gone to law school. My son would have been third generation welfare instead of a business executive.

My old office was in an area where there were a lot of homeless. From time to time I offered some of them a menial little task to do to make some money. They certainly begged enough. Not a single one considered working for $20.00 instead of bumming a $5.00. I never saw anyone as busy as a homeless derelict.

Stop helping the homeless. Stop enabling the poor to remain in whatever lifestyle they have chosen. Poverty isn''t nealy as painful as it should be.

What do you think we should do "to help the homeless" art15? You started the thread. Should we get a pocket full of $20's and pass them out to every rag bag we see on the street? The liquor stores will get a windfall. Do we contribute to agencies that the filter the money through their administrations? Take one home for the holidays and hope you don't get stabbed in your sleep? Unless you are living under a rock you have to know that there are people who should be institutionalized but are living on the street and there are substance abusers of all kinds and runaway kids. The greatest Country in the world offers shelter and food to these people but some refuse or are unable abide by the rules. What's your suggestion?

What do you think we should do "to help the homeless" art15? You started the thread. Should we get a pocket full of $20's and pass them out to every rag bag we see on the street? The liquor stores will get a windfall. Do we contribute to agencies that the filter the money through their administrations? Take one home for the holidays and hope you don't get stabbed in your sleep? Unless you are living under a rock you have to know that there are people who should be institutionalized but are living on the street and there are substance abusers of all kinds and runaway kids. The greatest Country in the world offers shelter and food to these people but some refuse or are unable abide by the rules. What's your suggestion?

There have been plenty of suggestions in this thread but you knew that.

Negged.

There have been plenty of suggestions in this thread but you knew that.

Negged.

Give us your personal favorite and we will discuss it instead of playing games and pretending we care.

Forum List

Back