Why does "everyone" despise the homeless? Our Savior was Homeless

Those that have bad cases of schizophrenia will likely be homeless most of their life which is usually not that long. Unlike others that are homeless, the disease leaves them without the ability to adjust to social norms required to live with other people. I have a close relative who is schizophrenia and on the streets. He shows up occasionally for a meal and a bed but he can't stay. The police usually pick him up after a few weeks and drop him off at a hospital where he stays for a few weeks or few months and then the cycle repeats.
Thanks for this true information, although I still doubt most homeless people (as some say here) are mental.

In any case, why does your relative have to leave after getting a meal ?

Yep. I generalize all the time.

Especially on forums like this.

Most of the time I write something, I'm not going to get into a detailed argument, because most people on this forum are, quite frankly, incapable of a detailed debate.

So I write generalizations. If someone reads my post and wants to get more detailed about it, we can. But if I write a detailed post now, I'm just going to be wasting half my life writing things that nobody will actually read.
you are wrong about religious people. . according to my info/experience

Yes, there are many hypocrites and Jesus said FEW would make it to Heaven, that many would attempt to enter but not be strong enough..

But I really think that most of them realize they can't have bad morals like sleeping around and etc...

you are wrong about religious people. . according to my info/experience

Yes, there are many hypocrites and Jesus said FEW would make it to Heaven, that many would attempt to enter but not be strong enough..

But I really think that most of them realize they can't have bad morals like sleeping around and etc...

I was discussing with my Christian colleague yesterday about the Bible. She had her tactics of how to ignore things, she was very will read one thing in the Bible and ignore another because it didn't fit with her theory.

I discuss on here with people, same thing.

I literally replied to a post where someone said after Noah's Ark God made new animals, because the Bible says two of every animal so they can't possibly do 2 million species so they have to make a lot less species in order to make the story fit.

I was discussing with my Christian colleague yesterday about the Bible. She had her tactics of how to ignore things, she was very will read one thing in the Bible and ignore another because it didn't fit with her theory.

I discuss on here with people, same thing.

I literally replied to a post where someone said after Noah's Ark God made new animals, because the Bible says two of every animal so they can't possibly do 2 million species so they have to make a lot less species in order to make the story fit.

God can take 2 animals of a species and.. well, he's God. He can do whatever he wants..

If we could figure out every mystery of the universe and the God who created it, well, we'd be God and that isn't going to happen

God can take 2 animals of a species and.. well, he's God. He can do whatever he wants..

If we could figure out every mystery of the universe and the God who created it, well, we'd be God and that isn't going to happen

Yeah, he can kill everyone, and then tell everyone to pretend he's not a genocidal maniac and that he loves us all.

It's fucking amazing that he can get people to believe things that simply aren't true.

Thanks for this true information, although I still doubt most homeless people (as some say here) are mental.

In any case, why does your relative have to leave after getting a meal ?
Only about 25% have serious mental issues.

The last time we gave him a meal and a place to sleep, he walked the floor all night screaming and cursing. When he finally went to bed he jacked off in bed, didn't bother to use the toilet, just peed in the corner. We forced he out of the house and he sat in the front yard naked. We call the cops and they picked him up and took him to the hospital. That was 6 mos. ago. Haven't seen him since.

Only about 25% have serious mental issues.

The last time we gave him a meal and a place to sleep, he walked the floor all night screaming and cursing. When he finally went to bed he jacked off in bed, didn't bother to use the toilet, just peed in the corner. We forced he out of the house and he sat in the front yard naked. We call the cops and they picked him up and took him to the hospital. That was 6 mos. ago. Haven't seen him since.
That is awful!

If that guy doesn't have mental problems, who does?

But there is also the possibility of him being possessed. I know it sounds "out there" but I've seen a lot of apparently demonic activity before.. long story

That is awful!

If that guy doesn't have mental problems, who does?

But there is also the possibility of him being possessed. I know it sounds "out there" but I've seen a lot of apparently demonic activity before.. long story
Being possessed by demons was the diagnosis of mental diseases for centuries. Treatment was pretty awful and was rarely successful. Common treatments were drilling holes in the skull to allow demons to escape and torturing patents to drive away demons, or punishment for sins believe to be the cause.

More than any other mental illness, schizophrenia is synonymous in the public’s mind with madness. The homeless person standing barefoot in the cold shouting at no one in particular, the person who suddenly believes a neighbor is sending poison gas through the walls, the delusional perpetrator of mass violence. Schizophrenia is neither new nor rare; it has likely existed for centuries, if not millennia. It affects approximately 1% percent of the world’s population.

Up until the 1950s, when drugs were found to have some effect on Schizophrenia, demons, treatment by parents, and sinful behavior were widely thought to be the cause. In later years we would learn that Schizophrenics as well as those suffering from Bipolar typically had abnormalities in the brain and responded to medications.

Many drugs have been developed to suppress psychosis in schizophrenics, however determining which drug or combinations of drugs and the dosages can be difficult to determine and usually require hospitalization. Unfortunately, the most effective drugs at suppressing psychosis typically have severe side effects which include suppression of emotions such as joy and sadness and are often coupled with drowsiness, memory loss erectile disfunction, etc. As a result many patients are quick to abandon their medications as soon as they get out of the hospital. Their psychosis is far easier for them to live with than the medications.

However the psychosis of serve schizophrenics is almost impossible for others to live with. Thus serve schizophrenics are caught in a revolving door between the streets and mental hospitals. One Study estimated the cost of medical care for severe schizophrenics at 4 to 5 million dollar per decade. The problem is there is no suitable place to house them. One psychiatrist said we could house these people with round the clock care much cheaper than maintaining this revolving door between the street and the hospital.

Last edited:
It seems no matter who the poster is, if he or she says anything at all about the homeless, it is, to put it in one word

Yuck

Well, no one wants to see the homeless because no one wants to think thatsome human beings are not: clean, sheltered.. getting needs met. We don't like that because we don't believe in that and that is GOOD.

But it usually goes further, from hating neediness to hating the needy

Even Trump said something in a speech recently about homeless, drug-addicted people cluttering the sidewalks or something to that effect. Well, at least he wasn't speaking of ALL the homeless, just the ones who use drugs in public and (presumably, those who) are using whatever money they can find to keep doing so.

But still... Why no good word for the homeless who are law-abiding, not drug users, and who are homeless because of misfortune, something we saw a lot of in the bad-covid-policy years..

And some have not exactly rebounded from that horrible time..
I have met homeless people who were mentally retarded or slow and would have a hard time getting hired anywhere. Homeless people with clear psychiatric problems which of course getting employment could be next to impossible. Homeless people I have met who were disabled and would have more difficulty getting hired then most people. Homeless people that most employers would consider too old to work and they would face brutal age discrimination. Homeless pregnant women which being pregnant an employer would be more reluctant to hire and would discriminate against them. I have met many homeless people that actually already have jobs, but their jobs don't pay enough to pay the rent for a house/ apartment so they live out of a car. My wife when I met her worked full time at a fast food restaurant, but her home was her car which she lived out of because she didn't make enough to afford the rent for an apartment.

.... Of course the far right says all these people can easily find jobs that pay the rent for an apartment/house and feel that we shouldn't feel sorry for them and they are just lazy bums.

I have met homeless people who were mentally retarded or slow and would have a hard time getting hired anywhere. Homeless people with clear psychiatric problems which of course getting employment could be next to impossible. Homeless people I have met who were disabled and would have more difficulty getting hired then most people. Homeless people that most employers would consider too old to work and they would face brutal age discrimination. Homeless pregnant women which being pregnant an employer would be more reluctant to hire and would discriminate against them. I have met many homeless people that actually already have jobs, but their jobs don't pay enough to pay the rent for a house/ apartment so they live out of a car. My wife when I met her worked full time at a fast food restaurant, but her home was her car which she lived out of because she didn't make enough to afford the rent for an apartment.

.... Of course the far right says all these people can easily find jobs that pay the rent for an apartment/house and feel that we shouldn't feel sorry for them and they are just lazy bums.
that is a stereotype of Republicans. I personally have found from experience and observations that the red states are actually more compassionate toward the downtrodden (usually) than the blue ones. I myself am a R and I started this thread when most of the time no one wants to talk about the homeless. I guess If you can forget about them and their miserable lives, you don't have to feel bad about living well while not helping them. that's my theory as to why a lot of well off people do not want to deal w/ the homeless. It is DEFINITELY not all the person's fault!

No one lives in a vacuum.
Thanks for the story of your wife. Jimmi Hendrix was homeless

Halle Barrie was also.. not sure how to spell last name

Being possessed by demons was the diagnosis of mental diseases for centuries. Treatment was pretty awful and was rarely successful. Common treatments were drilling holes in the skull to allow demons to escape and torturing patents to drive away demons, or punishment for sins believe to be the cause.......

One psychiatrist said we could house these people with round the clock care much cheaper than maintaining this revolving door between the street and the hospital.
Years ago I uncovered something in the Bible. I don't know where to find it, but it made a distinction between lunacy and demonic possession. I wouldn't know where to look for it because it didn't use words like Lunatic, etc... but it is there, the distinction.

In any case, I have often had the thought (in your last paragraph), that it would be cheaper for society to house these people with care givers on site than what we have now.

Most of the homeless I've known were not mental (or not seriously so anyway) or on drugs. But the stereotype persists that most of them are.

Well, with the economy being what it is right now, it's a wonder 20% of the population isn't homeless...

We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty.

Mother Teresa

Years ago I uncovered something in the Bible. I don't know where to find it, but it made a distinction between lunacy and demonic possession. I wouldn't know where to look for it because it didn't use words like Lunatic, etc... but it is there, the distinction.

In any case, I have often had the thought (in your last paragraph), that it would be cheaper for society to house these people with care givers on site than what we have now.

Most of the homeless I've known were not mental (or not seriously so anyway) or on drugs. But the stereotype persists that most of them are.

Well, with the economy being what it is right now, it's a wonder 20% of the population isn't homeless...
Homeless can be a permanent situation However for 1/3 of the homeless it is a temporary situation. Many have so little money in the bank that they are one paycheck away from being on the streets. Most often it is either lost of job or a family breakup that leaves these people no place to life. On average most of these people will find more permanent shelter. Within 4 to 6 weeks they are in public housing, in a mental hospital, staying with family or friends, or sleeping in cars and garages. A job comes along or a rich uncle puts them on their feet. However, at sometime in their life, over half of these will be back on the streets It may be years or only a few weeks.

Homeless can be a permanent situation However for 1/3 of the homeless it is a temporary situation. Many have so little money in the bank that they are one paycheck away from being on the streets. Most often it is either lost of job or a family breakup that leaves these people no place to life. On average most of these people will find more permanent shelter. Within 4 to 6 weeks they are in public housing, in a mental hospital, staying with family or friends, or sleeping in cars and garages. A job comes along or a rich uncle puts them on their feet. However, at sometime in their life, over half of these will be back on the streets It may be years or only a few weeks.

well, what gripes me is that many people act like being homeless is a serious CRIME. They also act like it is all that person's fault and no one else's. I happen to know for a fact that is NOT at all true. There are events that are beyond a person's control and we all go through those events at one time or another.. to despise the downtrodden is to despise yourself if you were ever to end up in their shoes. And no one can say with absolute certainty he never will

We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty.

Mother Teresa
Thank so much for this. I had forgotten she said this.. I thought she just said "unwanted" but it's better the way you put it here.. unwanted, unloved, uncared for. ..

That is indeed the worst poverty. And some experience exactly that PLUS do not have much money..

Instead of criticizing them, we should deeply pity them... which is what Jesus requires.

YES, requires!

Some seem to think all you have to do is believe in Jesus and voila' you're in Heaven as soon as you die. Where does it say THAT in the Bible? It doesn't say or imply anything remotely like it. If one were to only read one passage in the Bible

I say it should be Matthew 25:31

wherein Jesus says that when HE was hungry or thirsty or needed anything... His followers helped Him (by helping someone who was "the least of [his] people"--and even His followers did not necessarily see Jesus in the poor and downtrodden, but they helped Him (by helping them) anyway..

Thank so much for this. I had forgotten she said this.. I thought she just said "unwanted" but it's better the way you put it here.. unwanted, unloved, uncared for. ..

That is indeed the worst poverty. And some experience exactly that PLUS do not have much money..

Instead of criticizing them, we should deeply pity them... which is what Jesus requires.

YES, requires!

Some seem to think all you have to do is believe in Jesus and voila' you're in Heaven as soon as you die. Where does it say THAT in the Bible? It doesn't say or imply anything remotely like it. If one were to only read one passage in the Bible

I say it should be Matthew 25:31

wherein Jesus says that when HE was hungry or thirsty or needed anything... His followers helped Him (by helping someone who was "the least of [his] people"--and even His followers did not necessarily see Jesus in the poor and downtrodden, but they helped Him (by helping them) anyway..
I wrote this piece for a newsletter last year relating some of our experience with homeless.

I have known several people that were homeless, my grandson for one. He was on the streets 6 weeks before he found any employment. He left home when he was 18. He had a fight with the parents and they threw him out. He moved in with a friend, got a job, and everything was fine for a few months. However his friend had a drug problem and my grandson got on some drugs and lost his lost job. They got into fight and he leave with no go he was on streets, He found a job that lasted a few months and he managed to get off drugs. He is back home now. He is taking courses in the building trade at a local community college and has an opportunity for a pretty good job.

Through our church the wife and I met a young girl with two small kids that were deserted by her husband. She couldn’t find adequate childcare and couldn’t afford it she did. Since she didn’t finish high school plus having to take care of her two young kids, this made any work, even part-time impossible. She received a child support check from her husband when he found work and wasn’t too strung out on drugs. TANF and money from relatives gave her an income of $300 to $400. She lived in a family homeless shelter and had food Snap (food stamps). She got of plenty food thru Snap and a food bank, but cooking at the family shelter was limited to a microwave and refrigerator.

Since we had an extra bedroom we took her in. She gave us a little money when she could. She was able to get a part-time job and we took care of the kids. That didn’t last very long for various reasons. She stayed with us for 2 or 3 months then a sister in Oregon took her in. We miss her and the kids. She was a really a nice person but screwed up badly when she was younger and never quite got on her feet. The last we heard from, she had family problems with the sister and had to move. That was the last thing we heard from her. She was planning on moving in with some guy with a house but I think she had go back on the streets again. I always wondered whatever happened to her and the kids.

I wrote this piece for a newsletter last year relating some of our experience with homeless.

I have known several people that were homeless, my grandson for one. He was on the streets 6 weeks before he found any employment. He left home when he was 18. He had a fight with the parents and they threw him out. He moved in with a friend, got a job, and everything was fine for a few months. However his friend had a drug problem and my grandson got on some drugs and lost his lost job. They got into fight and he leave with no go he was on streets, He found a job that lasted a few months and he managed to get off drugs. He is back home now. He is taking courses in the building trade at a local community college and has an opportunity for a pretty good job.

Through our church the wife and I met a young girl with two small kids that were deserted by her husband. She couldn’t find adequate childcare and couldn’t afford it she did. Since she didn’t finish high school plus having to take care of her two young kids, this made any work, even part-time impossible. She received a child support check from her husband when he found work and wasn’t too strung out on drugs. TANF and money from relatives gave her an income of $300 to $400. She lived in a family homeless shelter and had food Snap (food stamps). She got of plenty food thru Snap and a food bank, but cooking at the family shelter was limited to a microwave and refrigerator.

Since we had an extra bedroom we took her in. She gave us a little money when she could. She was able to get a part-time job and we took care of the kids. That didn’t last very long for various reasons. She stayed with us for 2 or 3 months then a sister in Oregon took her in. We miss her and the kids. She was a really a nice person but screwed up badly when she was younger and never quite got on her feet. The last we heard from, she had family problems with the sister and had to move. That was the last thing we heard from her. She was planning on moving in with some guy with a house but I think she had go back on the streets again. I always wondered whatever happened to her and the kids.

Raising children is a full time job and the most important job in the world. I was always one of those Republicans who didn't necessarily want any cuts in welfare except to curtail fraud, waste and abuse. I didn't like the idea of women getting a much bigger paycheck every time they had a child, though. Having children w/o being married and w/o much money is a very bad idea for the CHILDREN and that kind of thing should be disincentivized.

The women in the Goddy Boy gang were very well off and by no stretch of imagination could Essene Monks be called homeless .

Raising children is a full time job and the most important job in the world. I was always one of those Republicans who didn't necessarily want any cuts in welfare except to curtail fraud, waste and abuse. I didn't like the idea of women getting a much bigger paycheck every time they had a child, though. Having children w/o being married and w/o much money is a very bad idea for the CHILDREN and that kind of thing should be disincentivized.
I certainly agree with you about raising kids. Since over 39% of all women that have abortions are below the poverty level, decreasing payments for more children would certainly encourage more abortions.

The women in the Goddy Boy gang were very well off and by no stretch of imagination could Essene Monks be called homeless .
I guess this means something to you but not knowing who or what the Goddy Boy gang or the Essene Monks are makes your post rather meaningless for the rest us.

Forum List

Back