Helping others

You really believe that President Obama stops you from being a decent human being? That's a really lousy excuse.

How sad that THAT is all you so-called "christians" got from this.

Some of you are truly crippled by your blind hate for your fellow human beings.

Because it's true you hateful bigot

is it impossible for a person who claims to be a Christian to not be a very good person?

do you think that is an impossibility?

If so why?

Is it possible for you to write grammatically correct sentences so anyone can understand what you're trying to ask?

people helping people...

no force, no coercion, no pressure,no government telling them what and who they will and will not help. [/COLOR]

Bingo. Freely chosen volunteer help...unlike Nanny Staters such a Bloomberg who prevented restaurants from donating meals to the homeless because the city couldn't verify the sodium content.

Would Jesus have whipped the money changers if they had been helping the local government at the time feed the poor?

A hungry child is no less fed with a meal paid for from the government coffers

boedicca-albums-mo-mo-mo-boedicca-s-stuff-picture6191-libertarian-jesus.jpg

Thanks for the feel good stories, Luddly. :)

Honestly, I think they're more than "feel good".

As the radical right gets more hateful and less and less "christian", more people are stepping up and behaving like Jesus would have. I saw it firsthand at xmas timeat our local homeless shelter and food pantry.

Not christians trying to buy their way into their imaginary heave and no preaching and proselytizing. Just people who felt genuine empathy for their fellow men and women holding out a helping hand. And we have seen that every time we're at either of those places.

people helping people...

no force, no coercion, no pressure,no government telling them what and who they will and will not help. [/COLOR]

Bingo. Freely chosen volunteer help...unlike Nanny Staters such a Bloomberg who prevented restaurants from donating meals to the homeless because the city couldn't verify the sodium content.

Would Jesus have whipped the money changers if they had been helping the local government at the time feed the poor?

Jesus Christ Himself actually scolded the hypocrisy in "helping the poor" which you and other government worshipers are the personification of .

Read here:

John 12

Jesus Anointed at Bethany

12 Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. 2 Here a dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. 3 Then Mary took about a pint[a] of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

4 But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, 5 “Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.” 6 He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.

7 “Leave her alone,” Jesus replied. “It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. 8 You will always have the poor among you,[c] but you will not always have me.”

so, PLEASE, stop this false and full of lies pretense the left is pushing around about hiking the taxes to "help the poor". Is it because you as all the left plan to help themselves on that "gubmint money"?

you want to help? Do it yourself and don't scream about it on the message board ;)

Please note that people are helping others without relying on the government.
That's certainly true but charitable contributions are not enough.

Then get more
I wish it was that simple. Of the $300 billion in charitable giving in the US, about 1/3 goes to the poor. That's 100 billion and quite a bit of that goes to fight poverty in undeveloped nations. Federal government spending is about $750 billion on welfare programs and states spending is about 300 billion totaling just over a trillion a year. With a 10 to 1 difference between government spending on the poor and charitable giving, I don't see how charitable giving could come anywhere close to supplanting government spending. You might be able to make significant reductions in government spending on welfare programs but don't expect charitable giving to cover it.

Does the federal government spend more on ?welfare? than anything else? - The Washington Post
Only a third of charitable contributions go to the poor
http://aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/social-welfare-spending04/report.pdf

Last edited:
with about 40% of the whole spending "on the poor" going to serve the system and not "the poor" - we certainly can get away with much less flushing money down the toilet which is inevitable with a government.

to be fair - if the charity gets to be too big and bureaucratized - their figures do not get much better.

with about 40% of the whole spending "on the poor" going to serve the system and not "the poor" - we certainly can get away with much less flushing money down the toilet which is inevitable with a government.

to be fair - if the charity gets to be too big and bureaucratized - their figures do not get much better.

Post proof.

Fix the system.

Being a servant of evil, you really have no right to quote the christian bible.

Post proof.

Fix the system.

Being a servant of evil, you really have no right to quote the christian bible.

piss off, envious bastard

being a flaming ignorant hateful atheist you have no right to even say the word Christian.

Last edited:

Jesus Christ Himself actually scolded the hypocrisy in "helping the poor" which you and other government worshipers are the personification of .

Read here:

John 12

12 Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. 2 Here a dinner was given in Jesus’ honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. 3 Then Mary took about a pint[a] of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

4 But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, 5 “Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages.” 6 He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.

7 “Leave her alone,” Jesus replied. “It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. 8 You will always have the poor among you,[c] but you will not always have me.”

so, PLEASE, stop this false and full of lies pretense the left is pushing around about hiking the taxes to "help the poor". Is it because you as all the left plan to help themselves on that "gubmint money"?

you want to help? Do it yourself and don't scream about it on the message board ;)

Nobody but you has mentioned taxes one way or the other. This thread is about giving, motive not withstanding.

One question: Do things seem fair?

Media Matters for America determined that administrative costs for Medicaid -- by far the country's largest means-tested welfare program -- were 4.9 percent of total costs. For the food stamp program, administrative costs were higher: 17.1 percent. Administrative costs were 4.5 percent for the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) and 2.1 percent for the Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF).

Limbaugh dramatically overstated administrative costs of welfare | Research | Media Matters for America

Read here:

John 12

Nobody but you has mentioned taxes one way or the other. This thread is about giving, motive not withstanding.

One question: Do things seem fair?

you were not paying attention. The quoted opponent mentioned gubmint. which exists from our taxes. so taxes were mentioned the moment the government is mentioned.

what things have to seem fair?

Media Matters for America determined that administrative costs for Medicaid -- by far the country's largest means-tested welfare program -- were 4.9 percent of total costs. For the food stamp program, administrative costs were higher: 17.1 percent. Administrative costs were 4.5 percent for the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) and 2.1 percent for the Child Care and Development Fund (CCDF).

Limbaugh dramatically overstated administrative costs of welfare | Research | Media Matters for America

Media Matters? you have to be kidding :D

and your rebuttal would be even more "effective" if you provide "figures" from 20 years ago.

its 2014.

Last edited:

Media Matters? you have to be kidding :D

and your rebuttal would be even more "effective" if you provide "figures" from 20 years ago.

its 2014.
You have provided nothing to support your statement, "40% of the whole spending "on the poor" going to serve the system and not "the poor".

Last edited:
Why be helpful at all?

Every day I have to hear the TV, and it goes all day long, and it's to the point where by evening time that I just kind of sit for hours shaking a nervous wreck because I get bitched out every fifteen minutes or so about things that have absolutely nothing to do with me. But, the TV puts on something, they don't like it, they take it out on me.

That is how I know that the "mainstream" media is truly just a death cult, like they broadcast things hoping to cause people to be depressed or suicidal or to snap and climb a bell tower.

So, to hell with the lot of you, since when does anyone deserve the help?

"There are, in every country, some magnificent charities established by individuals. It is, however, but little that any individual can do, when the whole extent of the misery to be relieved is considered. He may satisfy his conscience, but not his heart. He may give all that he has, and that all will relieve but little. It is only by organizing civilization upon such principles as to act like a system of pullies, that the whole weight of misery can be removed."
-- Thomas Paine; from 'Agrarian Justice' (1797)

Why be helpful at all?

Every day I have to hear the TV, and it goes all day long, and it's to the point where by evening time that I just kind of sit for hours shaking a nervous wreck because I get bitched out every fifteen minutes or so about things that have absolutely nothing to do with me. But, the TV puts on something, they don't like it, they take it out on me.

That is how I know that the "mainstream" media is truly just a death cult, like they broadcast things hoping to cause people to be depressed or suicidal or to snap and climb a bell tower.

Do we deserve help? Probably not.

Should we give it anyway? Absolutely.

None of us deserve good things. We are given them because of the grace of God. And because God has been gracious for us, we should be gracious to others. He didn't have to bleed and ever pore for us. But He did. I know I didn't deserve for Him to do that for me. But He did. So why shouldn't I serve others even if I dont think they deserve it? It's part of the calling the Lord has given to me and to all of us really. "As I have loved you, love one another."

Now He asked us to serve our fellow man. That doesn't mean we are supposed to Rob others and give of their hard work. That wouldn't be right.

Why be helpful at all?

The media, mainstream or otherwise produces what sells and death, suicide, and scandals, sell. Whatever it takes to push up ratings and increase web site hits will be done. Fewer and fewer media outlets have any original reporting. Take almost any news story and you will find it copied over and over with nothing new added. Then you have the blogs and political hack sites that filter the stories to give a new spin. Finally, there are those outlets that create stories out of nothing in which offhand comments from a politician or government official are weave tougher with facts and opinions of the writer to create a story or issue where none exist. I'm always amazed at how many people accept the most absurd stories if they are in print.

"Reporters no longer ask for verification, thus they print charges no matter how outlandish they may seem, and once having done that, when the truth comes out, it's buried in the back page or never makes it on the air at all."
Dixie Lee Ray

Last edited:
"There are, in every country, some magnificent charities established by individuals. It is, however, but little that any individual can do, when the whole extent of the misery to be relieved is considered. He may satisfy his conscience, but not his heart. He may give all that he has, and that all will relieve but little. It is only by organizing civilization upon such principles as to act like a system of pullies, that the whole weight of misery can be removed."

But the right claims the founders hate poor people just like they do

But the right claims the founders hate poor people just like they do

If you are going to make things up, atleast try to make it believable.

Forum List

Back