Here Are The 3 Current Members of Congress Who Voted Against Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday

Jul 26, 2010
North Carolina
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is lauded near-universally by politicians every year, but there are still three members serving in the U.S. Congress who voted against the King holiday — 2 at the federal level and 1 as a state legislator.

Then-President Ronald Reagan reluctantly signed the federal Martin Luther King holiday into law in November of 1983 after the U.S. Senate passed the bill by a 78-22 margin, while the House of Representatives had voted in favor of it by a margin of 338-90. That’s over 78 percent of those who voted, well above the two-thirds needed to override a veto.

The current members of Congress who joined Sen. Jesse Helms in voting against the holiday are all Republicans, although one was a Democrat at the time and later switched parties. They are: Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA) and Rep. Hal Rogers (R-KY).

House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA) is the only other member to have voted against a King holiday, in 1999 and 2004, but at the state level.

As tempting as it is to view these votes as relics of a past that America has evolved well past, and could never happen these days, a new poll sheds some doubt on that proposition. The latest The Economist/YouGov poll shows that even fewer Republican voters support the King holiday today than did in 1983.

Asked “Do you think that Martin Luther King’s birthday should be a Federal Holiday?”, only 39 percent of Republicans said “yes,” MLK Day should be a federal holiday, with the remaining 61 percent either against it (36%) or not sure (23%).

Overall, 55 percent of respondents said “yes,” Martin Luther King’s birthday should be a Federal Holiday, with 24 percent responding “no” and another 21 percent saying they were “not sure.”

That’s less Republican support than an October, 1983 poll that found 48 percent of Republicans at the time favored establishing the law. Forty-two percent of Republicans were opposed, while 10 percent were “not sure.”

I wonder how many folks who think Dr. King's birthday shouldn't be a national holiday actually work on that Monday instead of taking it off.

MLK day should be a national holiday but I usually work. Being self-employed means my boss does not give out any paid holidays. No disrespect, I often work on the other holidays as well.

NoneInBox.jpg

I don’t get the day off, so it’s not an issue for me. Humorously enough our Management employees won’t be in the office tomorrow but the Union employees will be. That also happens with Columbus Day.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is lauded near-universally by politicians every year, but there are still three members serving in the U.S. Congress who voted against the King holiday — 2 at the federal level and 1 as a state legislator.

Then-President Ronald Reagan reluctantly signed the federal Martin Luther King holiday into law in November of 1983 after the U.S. Senate passed the bill by a 78-22 margin, while the House of Representatives had voted in favor of it by a margin of 338-90. That’s over 78 percent of those who voted, well above the two-thirds needed to override a veto.

The current members of Congress who joined Sen. Jesse Helms in voting against the holiday are all Republicans, although one was a Democrat at the time and later switched parties. They are: Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA) and Rep. Hal Rogers (R-KY).

House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-LA) is the only other member to have voted against a King holiday, in 1999 and 2004, but at the state level.

As tempting as it is to view these votes as relics of a past that America has evolved well past, and could never happen these days, a new poll sheds some doubt on that proposition. The latest The Economist/YouGov poll shows that even fewer Republican voters support the King holiday today than did in 1983.

Asked “Do you think that Martin Luther King’s birthday should be a Federal Holiday?”, only 39 percent of Republicans said “yes,” MLK Day should be a federal holiday, with the remaining 61 percent either against it (36%) or not sure (23%).

Overall, 55 percent of respondents said “yes,” Martin Luther King’s birthday should be a Federal Holiday, with 24 percent responding “no” and another 21 percent saying they were “not sure.”

That’s less Republican support than an October, 1983 poll that found 48 percent of Republicans at the time favored establishing the law. Forty-two percent of Republicans were opposed, while 10 percent were “not sure.”

I wonder how many folks who think Dr. King's birthday shouldn't be a national holiday actually work on that Monday instead of taking it off.
I'll ask you the same question I've been asking since MLK day was declared a paid FEDERAL holiday. Why is it racist to think Federal workers do not need another taxpayer funded holiday in perpetuity? Where is it written that in order to pay proper homage to Dr. King,, he must have a paid Federal holiday?

I'll ask you the same question I've been asking since MLK day was declared a paid FEDERAL holiday. Why is it racist to think Federal workers do not need another taxpayer funded holiday in perpetuity? Where is it written that in order to pay proper homage to Dr. King,, he must have a paid Federal holiday?
So why is any other holiday a paid holiday if that is the case.

So you are saying that a Dem President signing the CRA and VRA into law did it. What % of black folks were actually a part of the Great Society?
Do you remember what that filthy animal lbj said about your race? It involves the N-word and how you would vote for the next 200 years. Your culture was then, and still is, just a prop to the Dims. Hillury said you were the easiest to deceive, Bill and Ted said bammy should be carrying their luggage, Plugs said it was nice to finally see a clean, articulate black man, they had Klan members in congress....

They fucking hate you.

Do you remember what that filthy animal lbj said about your race?
Yep I also remember what Abraham Lincoln said about black folks as well.
It involves the N-word and how you would vote for the next 200 years. Your culture was then, and still is, just a prop to the Dims. Hillury said you were the easiest to deceive, Bill and Ted said bammy should be carrying their luggage, Plugs said it was nice to finally see a clean, articulate black man, they had Klan members in congress....

They fucking hate you.
Hmmm, so why is it that all the achievements that black folks have made in this country happen under Democrats? Why is it that the Republican Party is 92% white? Today's Republican Party has the mindset of the sheet wearers, why is it that the majority of racist in this country in the Republican Party? Why would black folks want to be a part of a party that has folks like you in it?

why do we keep letting govt give it self the day off?

it’s amazing the demklan oppressed blacks for decades and now voted to give themselves a paid holiday

disgusting

Forum List

Back