Here is a proposal for fixing the "Prevent" defense.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
The Bengals and the Eagles both lost in the last 2 minutes of their games by going soft on defense to "prevent" the big play from beating them. The result as is often the case was a 'W' turned into an 'L'. So here's my idea for fixing this flawed last minute defensive scheme:

I'm fine with rushing 3 and dropping 8 but here's the wrinkle that I think would make it more effective. You bring in your quickest guy on defense to harass the QB. Even if he's a receiver, a punt returner or whatev. You bring him in as a blitzer but his job is to stay in front of the QB and not try to a block a pass or sack him. If he can occupy the QB for 3 or 4 seconds a rusher is going to break free. What kills the prevent defense is a QB sitting back with no pressure throwing easy 15 or 20 yard passes just like Cousins did last night. He got the Falcons to the 10 yard line in like 40 seconds! That is inexcusable.

So there's my solution, ready tomatoes and......fire!

Prevent just means you do not allow the receivers to get behind you.
So the QB just throws underneath and picks up 10-15 yards a play. Just March down the field

Prevent just means you do not allow the receivers to get behind you.
So the QB just throws underneath and picks up 10-15 yards a play. Just March down the field
Which is the whole point of my thread. Stop the QB from marching down the field in 1 minute. I think you do that if you have the quickest guy on your team containing the QB.

Which is the whole point of my thread. Stop the QB from marching down the field in 1 minute. I think you do that if you have the quickest guy on your team containing the QB.
Fangio is a senior citizen, and this is his last stop as DC. That did not look good. Also, the Eagles need to be better at rushing the passer.

Forum List

Back