Here’s the reason people tell me they want to buy an AR-15. And it’s simply ludicrous

My husband just signed up for one of those concealed carry classes. His friend got in (it's a circus here, hundreds of people trying to sign up) and somehow got him on the list.

You are losing, Mr. Irrelevant. There is no use in anyone arguing with people who have lost the argument.

This is also a disadvantage for HD – apartment dwellings in particular, where overpenetration is an issue.

A bullet with a MV of over 3100 fps can kill your sleeping child in the next bedroom or your neighbor in the apartment next-door.

I believe I mentioned that when I suggested other, more appropriate, firearms for self defense.

But one should not being an open weapon to an sort of disturbance.
Too provocative.
Threatening by mere presence.
Shooting 3 people means you are doing something wrong.
A single warning shot would have likely sufficed.
At a foot away, it also is not necessary to kill, when wounding would suffice.

A single warning shot would have likely sufficed.

Meh.

At a foot away, it also is not necessary to kill, when wounding would suffice.

Lefty agrees. The two dead felons couldn't be reached for comment.

Subjective preferences, wants – not justifying a ‘need.’

Using shotguns and handguns instead of an AR in no manner diminishes or undermines the ability of a private citizen to successfully defend his home or himself from attack.
Show me the fucking word need in the bill of rights you dumbass bastard?
And again you don't have any experience with firearms.

Last edited:
The right’s fearmongering and lies about ‘bans’ and ‘confiscations’ are even more ridiculous given the fact that there’s no political will in Congress to enact any firearm regulatory measures, and an activist conservative Supreme Court likewise hostile to such laws.

That’s why conservatives should stop with the moronic lies about ‘needing’ an AR 15.
I personally don’t own a semi-automatic rifle that resembles a military weapon but there may be a time when I do have a reason to own one.

I live in a rural area of Florida and while there are deer on the property I am not a hunter. If a herd of feral hogs shows up, an AR-15 would be an excellent weapon to eliminate these pests.

I am far enough out in the country that it is unlikely that a mob of Antifa or BLM rioters will attempt to burn my house down. If that was a real concern I would acquire a couple AR-15s.

I am an old dinosaur that prefers revolvers to high cap pistols. The only rifle I own is a bolt action Swiss Mauser. I also own a 12 gauge double barreled coach gun for self defense.

If I was a hunter I would possibly be interested in buying an AR-15. They are very adaptable and one rifle can perform many different tasks. Plus a gun smith is not required for most modifications to the weapon. Why own half a dozen rifles when you can just own one.

If I was a hunter I would possibly be interested in buying an AR-15. They are very adaptable and one rifle can perform many different tasks. Plus a gun smith is not required for most modifications to the weapon. Why own half a dozen rifles when you can just own one.
I have an old Army buddy that lives on a ranch in the area west of the Miami metroplex. Bordering the Everglades. The ranch is over 1K acres.

They are being overrun with feral hogs.

A few years ago he invited a dozen of his buddies to come down and spend a long weekend hunting the hogs. All of us had AR-15s type firearms except for one guy with an AR-10.

I brought my Class III M-16 and used it on full auto. Two other guys had M-16s.

We killed 33 hogs that weekend. We probably wounded another 20-30 more that got away and we didn't find the carcasses. They were hard to hit. I would open F-A fire on a sounder of maybe 15 hogs and be lucky to hit two of them before they scattered. They are fast.

We got better as the time went on but it was not easy.

A year later he said there was just about as many hogs as it there were before the hunt. An expert told him that there needed to be a 80% kill of the sounder to affect population decline.

He went ahead and hired an expert trapper and within two years got rid of most of them.

This is the method he used.

‘Usually, the motivation for purchasing the AR-15 is simple: People want one because they want one. Most times, the person who buys an AR-15 comes into the store already knowing that they intend to purchase one.

I’ve pressed some customers about why they want an AR-15, but no one could ever come up with a legitimate justification for needing that particular weapon.

Some members of the tinfoil hat brigade have come up with the reply, “We need these weapons because we want to be effective against the government if it becomes tyrannical. That’s part of our Second Amendment right.” Personally, I think that’s ludicrous, but it has become an increasingly popular justification for purchasing a semi-automatic rifle.

[…]

If banning them outright seems like too extreme a solution to be politically palatable, here’s another option: Reclassify semi-automatic rifles as Class 3 firearms.’

I disagree with the article’s author about ‘banning’ AR 15s or subjecting them to the provisions of the NFA. ‘Bans’ don’t work, they’re unwarranted government excess and overreach and likely un-Constitutional.

But he’s correct about wanting to own an AR 15 to ‘defend against government tyranny’ as being ridiculous nonsense.

Possessing an AR 15 is a want, not a ‘need.’

And there’s nothing wrong with that; citizens are not required to ‘justify’ exercising a fundamental right as a ‘prerequisite’ to indeed do so.

As is always the case after a mass shooting or similar event, we see inane, baseless reasons contrived to ‘justify’ owning an AR 15 in a pathetic and unnecessary attempt to fend-off a ‘ban’ of such weapons where there is no political will to do so.
Why do you 'press' customers? I'd fire your ass in a hot second for that.

Subjective preferences, wants – not justifying a ‘need.’

Using shotguns and handguns instead of an AR in no manner diminishes or undermines the ability of a private citizen to successfully defend his home or himself from attack.

Nope…..the Supreme Court already ruled that just because there are options doesnt allow you idiots to ban types of guns

I have an old Army buddy that lives on a ranch in the area west of the Miami metroplex. Bordering the Everglades. The ranch is over 1K acres.

They are being overrun with feral hogs.

A few years ago he invited a dozen of his buddies to come down and spend a long weekend hunting the hogs. All of us had AR-15s type firearms except for one guy with an AR-10.

I brought my Class III M-16 and used it on full auto. Two other guys had M-16s.

We killed 33 hogs that weekend. We probably wounded another 20-30 more that got away and we didn't find the carcasses. They were hard to hit. I would open F-A fire on a sounder of maybe 15 hogs and be lucky to hit two of them before they scattered. They are fast.

We got better as the time went on but it was not easy.

A year later he said there was just about as many hogs as it there were before the hunt. An expert told him that there needed to be a 80% kill of the sounder to affect population decline.

He went ahead and hired an expert trapper and within two years got rid of most of them.

This is the method he used.

Cool Vid!! I'm just a city boy.....Do you eat those swine?

‘Usually, the motivation for purchasing the AR-15 is simple: People want one because they want one. Most times, the person who buys an AR-15 comes into the store already knowing that they intend to purchase one.

OMG ... people legally buying something they want to buy?!

How can our society survive?

faiting_couch.jpg

Cool Vid!! I'm just a city boy.....Do you eat those swine?
In the wild these Florida feral pigs mostly eat acorns. That makes the meat bitter in addition to being gamey.

I would eat the meat if there was nothing else available. However, it not the best.

We had BBQ on that hunt but not any of those wild pigs we shot.

We burned the carcasses we shot. We probably should have given the meat to some food bank but it was easier to just throw them in a pile and set fire.

Thats a damn lie

AR-15 owners know exactly why they want one

Clueless lib quote of the day:

they all appear to be armed”

“And there does not appear to be any burning and looting where they are”

Gee, I wonder why?

The clueless libs thought, 'if there isn't any burning and looting where they are, why do they need to be armed? Stupid gun nuts!'

A pump shotgun has limited capacity, to much kick for smaller frame people and take experience to reload in a stressful event.
Revolver limited capacity
Semiautomatic pistol depending on the caliber will be too powerful for most women, so if you go down to a 380 you're back to limited capacity.
Women most of them are a better shot with an AR and it doesn't have the kick.
I have to agree.

I never even considered a revolver for carry or home de fence.

Actually the only revolver I've ever been interested in is the Stairs Judge because it can fire a 410 shotgun cartridge and a .45 pistol round

The funny thing, after I sold my AR I bought a Ruger Mini-14. Same caliber. At the local range I had gotten some looks for my AR, but never did for my Ruger. A big part of the AR's issue is pure cosmetics.
I have a mini 30 chambered for 7.62 mm rounds and no one even looks twice at it

Forum List

Back