Historic Night For GOP: More Wins Than Even Republicans Thought Possible...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
‘Historic night’: GOP makes record gains at state level, on top of Senate wins

Republicans had a big night -- that much was clear. But the full scope of the GOP’s victories came sharply into focus Wednesday, as party leaders touted not only their newly claimed Senate majority but historic gains in the House and state legislative races.

While Republicans’ capture of at least seven seats in the U.S. Senate grabbed the headlines, the party had even greater success at the state level. Party leaders said Wednesday they will hit an “all-time high” for the number of legislative chambers and seats in Republican control.

“It was a historic night at every single level,” Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said Wednesday.

"This was all about a direct rejection of the Obama agenda,” Priebus said.

Whether congressional Republicans and Obama can work together in the remaining two years of his term remains to be seen.

But at the state level, Republicans are poised to more aggressively advance their legislative agenda, particularly with several Republicans winning close gubernatorial elections Tuesday night – including in the heavily Democratic states of Maryland, Illinois and Massachusetts...

More:
Historic night GOP makes record gains at state level on top of Senate wins Fox News

Governors: GOP Tidal Wave Sweeps Through Statehouses

Republican candidates swept key gubernatorial races across the country Tuesday, with Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker fending off a Democratic challenger and a GOP businessman pulling off a stunning upset in deeply blue Maryland.

The gubernatorial contest between Maryland Lt. Gov. Anthony Brown and his Republican opponent, businessman Larry Hogan, shaped up to be a much tighter race than many had anticipated, leading up to Tuesday’s faceoff.

During his election night party, Hogan and his supporters at one point danced to Donna Summer’s “Last Dance” holding on to their iPhones in one hand and martinis in another, The Washington Post reported.

Brown conceded shortly after midnight.

The last time a Republican won a governor’s race in Maryland was in 2002 when Robert Ehrlich Jr., a popular congressman from the Baltimore County area defeated Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend.

In Wisconsin, Walker won his re-election by beating Democratic challenger Mary Burke in what was billed from the start as a nail-biter of a race for the GOP. The victory boosts Walker's presidential prospects in 2016, since it would have been difficult to seek national office if he hadn't been able to win his own state.

More:
Republicans sweep to victory in key gubernatorial races Fox News

We're a center-right country and reject the Failed loser Redistribution ideology embraced by the modern Progressive Democrats

I'm pretty pumped that Illinois got Rauner into the governer's seat. That's pretty awesome. And Rauner ran a great campaign: very positive and matter-of-fact, simply focusing on the record of Quinn/Blagojevich which is pretty damn terrible.

Even a Republican Governor now in Massachusetts. Pretty shocking.

Following in the great Mitt Romney's footsteps.

Obama is finally following through on his promise to unite the people of America. I'm reminded of a quote from the Dark Knight. You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian.

Following in the great Mitt Romney's footsteps.

Obama is finally following through on his promise to unite the people of America. I'm reminded of a quote from the Dark Knight. You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian.

Yeah, not too many expected to see a Republican Governor of Massachusetts. It's huge.

It's more amazing to see a repub win governor in Maryland and defeat a black democrat! We have the two richest black counties in the country and they are rabidly pro-black, pro-obama racists and even that didn't work.
I'm hoping that white guilt has finally run its course.

Last edited:
you must be confused. The gop had a horrible night. At least that's what I've been told by some die hard leftists. You libertarians are clearly just favoring the gop narrative of last nights events out of some partisan blindness to reality.

I am so proud if what we've done. This election was a referendum on Obama and his policies. Too bad it's two year later than it should have been. Great ground game, GOP! You can be proud.

Forum List

Back