what the hell is jessica tarlov spewing about exorbitant profits of Kroger

One of three studies, all with consistent results.

All you have is an ad hominem, your argument is still shallow and worthless.

The result that corporations can simply choose to raise prices across the board, without
hurting sales?

Hilarious!

I'm sure the CPUSA has more "studies" that support your claim.

The result that corporations can simply choose to raise prices across the board, without
hurting sales?

Hilarious!

I'm sure the CPUSA has more "studies" that support your claim.
Do you really think people eat less when prices go up?

Or do they just put up with the higher prices?

Data says they mostly put up with the higher prices.

Not sure when it started, but most noticeably since 2020..... but there is some truth to that notion......

Stores in 1980 didn't charge the highest price we are willing to pay?

Stores in 1960 didn't charge the highest price we are willing to pay?

what I've been seeing at those stores and my conclusion for the varying prices........raise the cost to get more profit but if people don't buy it at the higher price, they end up losing money so then drop the price to get people to buy it.

Stores can't just raise prices without impacting sales? Customers get to decide? Wow!

Don't tell Marener
They still don't. They use a curve measuring quantity sole at which price point. Lower price point normally sell more. The figure out the most profit for the item. Sometimes decreasing the price and selling more adds more profit per day/month.

True it gets complicated when you thrown in the supply curve to the equation. Also if stores buy in large quantities they get a discount they have to weigh it against storage cost and sell by dates.

Auto sells will sell at cost on purpose sometimes to increase the number of sales because manufacturers will give them rebates if they hit sales quotas. Which is why at the end of a quarter they will sometimes sell below cost to hit their quotas. Additionally, Financing institutes will pay them for using them as the loan agency and they get paid in cold cash for the sale from the financial institutions even though you are buying on credit. So the auto salesman doesn't care if you don't pay the loan as long as he can get the Financial institution to finance you.

One thing I've noticed at Walmart....and I think someone mentioned it in a previous post.......that pre-plandemic, there were more store brand items and sold in the larger sizes. But now there are fewer store brands and only small or 'regular' size items, while there is plenty of the name brands of regular sized items.

I've noticed the same thing at Walmart. I think I know the cause.
Bidenflation has caused more people to buy the cheaper store brand and it's
missing from the shelf when you get to the store.

Try to go earlier in the day. And vote for better candidates.
If you order Delivery soda at cheap prices $4.79 a ctn will tend to be out of stock, but they have plenty if you go to store to buy them. They have plenty in stock for $12 a 12 pack if you're stupid enough to click on it.

Restaurants mark food up for Delivery even though you are paying a Delivery fee and tip. I force myself to buy only from those who charge normal price for delivery orders. Bad enough I have to pay 5-10 for delivery fees and tip.

I used to have rib-eye once a week. My family now buys 10 lbs of the cheapest rolled hamburger per month and divvy it up into 1 lb freezer bags. 1lb for 1 meal for family of 5. We don't buy Hamburger Helper, we now buy 1lb pasta, sauce and 1lb of hamburger for our 1 meal per day. We no longer eat out.

I'm in a nursing home now and they no longer have my income to pay bills. They make ends meet by not repairing the car and living without one. Borrow cars for Dr. Appts.

So yes people not only eat less they do without a lot of stuff.

Not sure when it started, but most noticeably since 2020..... but there is some truth to that notion......

Stores in 1980 didn't charge the highest price we are willing to pay?

Stores in 1960 didn't charge the highest price we are willing to pay?

what I've been seeing at those stores and my conclusion for the varying prices........raise the cost to get more profit but if people don't buy it at the higher price, they end up losing money so then drop the price to get people to buy it.

Stores can't just raise prices without impacting sales? Customers get to decide? Wow!

Don't tell Marener

Of course store prices impact sales. Too high of price and customers don't buy........so yeah, the customer does get to decide. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here or your problem with it. IDK maybe I'm missing something

One thing I've noticed at Walmart....and I think someone mentioned it in a previous post.......that pre-plandemic, there were more store brand items and sold in the larger sizes. But now there are fewer store brands and only small or 'regular' size items, while there is plenty of the name brands of regular sized items.

I've noticed the same thing at Walmart. I think I know the cause.
Bidenflation has caused more people to buy the cheaper store brand and it's
missing from the shelf when you get to the store.

Try to go earlier in the day. And vote for better candidates.

No it's not, or I should say not here. Maybe it is in your area, IDK. They are not carrying as much of the store brand products as they did pre-crud. If you check the price point on the shelf, there is no tag or place for that item. There is no 'extras' stashed on top of the displays either. And even if those items were still being sold, there would be a price tag on the shelf with matching UPC#'s, and they can't sell out the full display every time they get a shipment. This is not the same as with the food shortages where most shelves were empty because of supply issues and stores would fake front the empty spaces with products they did have.

I spend way too much time shopping to not see what's going on and have been paying much closer attention since the shortages. As for voting......yeah, try that in a solid Blue state filled with a bunch of freaking idiots:rolleyes:

They don't seem to worried about health insurance companies scoring record profits from ACA.

Absolutely.

If you raise your prices 20%, I am absolutely going to eat less of your food.

Of course store prices impact sales. Too high of price and customers don't buy........so yeah, the customer does get to decide. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here or your problem with it. IDK maybe I'm missing something

No it's not, or I should say not here. Maybe it is in your area, IDK. They are not carrying as much of the store brand products as they did pre-crud. If you check the price point on the shelf, there is no tag or place for that item. There is no 'extras' stashed on top of the displays either. And even if those items were still being sold, there would be a price tag on the shelf with matching UPC#'s, and they can't sell out the full display every time they get a shipment. This is not the same as with the food shortages where most shelves were empty because of supply issues and stores would fake front the empty spaces with products they did have.

I spend way too much time shopping to not see what's going on and have been paying much closer attention since the shortages. As for voting......yeah, try that in a solid Blue state filled with a bunch of freaking idiots:rolleyes:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here

I'm saying marener is an idiot who doesn't understand economics.

No it's not, or I should say not here. Maybe it is in your area, IDK. They are not carrying as much of the store brand products as they did pre-crud.

They absolutely carry as much or more of the store brands, because, as you said, they make a higher margin on it.

As for voting......yeah, try that in a solid Blue state filled with a bunch of freaking idiots

Tell me about it, I'm stuck in Chicago for a few more years.

Absolutely.

If you raise your prices 20%, I am absolutely going to eat less of your food.
Whose food are you going to eat instead I’d everyone has raised prices by 20%?

Forum List

Back