what the hell is jessica tarlov spewing about exorbitant profits of Kroger

where I buy grocerys Kroger is always the lower price. And I hate kroger cuz the hate conservatives.
if I can skip a kroger product I do. But sometimes i just have to hold my nose

Look at all the stock buybacks. Then look at their employee pay.

How much has food inflation been in the last few years?
How do you know "half has been the result of increased corpoarte profits"?

Do you have any numbers to support your claim?
These companies are publicly traded and we can see their balance sheets.

And the record profits Professor Weber mentions? Groundwork Collaborative recently found that corporate profits accounted for 53% of 2023 inflation. EPI likewise concluded that over 51% of the drastically higher inflationary pressures of 2020 and 2021 were also direct results of profits. The Kansas City Federal Reserve even pegged this around 40%, indicating that sellers’ inflation is now a pretty mainstream idea.

What doesn’t make sense? If you run a company and can get away with increasing your prices 20% without affecting sales, you’d do so. That means your profits go up a lot and the result is that the consumer sees inflation from the price increases.

Although it’s possible to point to some places where there were reasons for the inflation, it doesn’t explain the broad based rise in prices.

About half of the increases in food prices went straight into increased profits. Food manufacturers are making record profits on increased margins.

The margins are between 1 and 3% as opposed to 6 to 15% at McDonald's. Not a lot of room.

I submit to you that a spike in population density is actually more responsible for the overall profits. EBT....is a major player here.

I don't doubt that prices could be lower...but you can't squeeze the middle man....you can't make him charge less while he has no power to pay less. Won't work.

Notice these libtards only--and often--give one definition of "profit." They'll talk gross profit, but not net profit. They don't discuss the many deeply discounted products at stores like Kroger and Food Lion. That means selling more units, which often results in lower margins.

Plus, then never really discuss the main driver of inflation: money supply. Companies don't willy-nilly just up their prices (if they do, then they are usually slapped down by consumers and/or competitors). Prices increase because the money supply is inflated. And yes, libtards, that also affects producers.
Dembot voters don’t know the difference between net and gross

And the record profits Professor Weber mentions? Groundwork Collaborative recently found that corporate profits accounted for 53% of 2023 inflation. EPI likewise concluded that over 51% of the drastically higher inflationary pressures of 2020 and 2021 were also direct results of profits. The Kansas City Federal Reserve even pegged this around 40%, indicating that sellers’ inflation is now a pretty mainstream idea.
Then why don’t you show us instead of op-Ed pieces?

if their prices are too high someone else will open a grocery store and cut their prices. like Aldis.

What doesn’t make sense? If you run a company and can get away with increasing your prices 20% without affecting sales, you’d do so. That means your profits go up a lot and the result is that the consumer sees inflation from the price increases.

Although it’s possible to point to some places where there were reasons for the inflation, it doesn’t explain the broad based rise in prices.

About half of the increases in food prices went straight into increased profits. Food manufacturers are making record profits on increased margins.

If you run a company and can get away with increasing your prices 20% without affecting sales, you’d do so.

Which companies can get away with increasing prices 20% without affecting sales?
You have a list?

Thanks for the links.

I saw this in the first one.

On Tuesday, Conagra Brands—one of the largest consumer packaged goods companies in the U.S.—announced that it had posted a nearly 60% year-over-year profit increase between December 2022 and February 2023.

Ummm.....December 2022 and February 2023 aren't a year apart, how can they talk about a year-over-year profit increase?

EPI likewise concluded that over 51% of the drastically higher inflationary pressures of 2020 and 2021 were also direct results of profits.

EPI? LOL!

Forum List

Back