History Quiz

USViking said:
I googled.

Montesquieu fits the description.

Question:
British general whose victory near Quebec delivered French Canada
to the UK.

King George II was told earlier this general was "mad".

George II replied; "Well, I wish he would bite some of my other generals!"

Yes he does. He was well respected by Washington in particular. Has a lot to do with separation of powers, checks and balances.

Your question

Kathianne said:
Yes he does. He was well respected by Washington in particular. Has a lot to do with separation of powers, checks and balances.

Your question

Dang, sounds like something Lincoln said about Grant's drinking... Now, what is that name....

USViking said:
I googled.

Montesquieu fits the description.

Question:
British general whose victory near Quebec delivered French Canada
to the UK.

King George II was told earlier this general was "mad".

George II replied; "Well, I wish he would bite some of my other generals!"

James Wolfe,I think. Can't be Pitt, or is it?

USViking said:
It is Wolfe.

There were two Pitts who were PM. I don't know if either ever went near a battlefield.

Your turn.

I don't think they did either, and I don't know why Pitt came to mind. More coffee, that's got to be the problem.

I had to google this, I couldn't remember their name. Anyway, who were one of the few truly extinct Native American cultures? Hint: New Foundland.

Said1 said:
I don't think they did either, and I don't know why Pitt came to mind. More coffee, that's got to be the problem.

I had to google this, I couldn't remember their name. Anyway, who were one of the few truly extinct Native American cultures? Hint: New Foundland.
I'm gonna have to google to answer.

I'll wait and see if someone can get it non-google.

ok, beating Viking to the google:

http://www.native-languages.org/beothuk.htm

Beothuk:

Language: Little is known of the Beothuk language today. Our only records are a few Beothuk words collected from children and young women the British captured as slaves, usually at the cost of their families' lives. The vocabulary sets provided by these traumatized youths are small and don't match each other well (it didn't help that their questioners had no linguistic training, or that the Beothuks were asked to name housecats, glass, tea, and other European objects they had never seen before). Nothing was recorded about the structure of the Beothuk language at all. Some linguists believe it was an Algonquian language, possibly related to Innu. It's unlikely this will ever be conclusively shown due to the paucity of data.

People: Many American Indian cultures are wrongly declared "extinct" when in fact they have only been relocated or forced into a different lifestyle. The Beothuks, though, really are extinct. The only natives of the eastern seaboard to ally with neither the French nor the English (or, for that matter, the Iroquois or Wabanakis), the Beothuk tribe paid a heavy price for their isolation. That the French paid the Mi'kmaq to annihilate the Beothuks is denied by both, but the French and Mi'kmaq certainly drove them inland from the Newfoundland coast they relied on for food, and starvation is blamed for many Beothuk deaths. The English shot them on sight, and the Mohawks raided Beothuk villages for slaves. By 1800 the Beothuks only made the history books as the occasional captive servant of an Englishman, and in 1829 the last known Beothuk, Shanawdithit, died of tuberculosis. A few Beothuk descendants surfaced among the Mi'kmaq and Mohawk after that (those tribes often adopted captured enemies), and other Beothuks may have fled to the Innus for protection. By 1900, though, the assimilation of any refugees into those neighboring tribes was complete. There are no known descendants of the Beothuk Indians today.

History: The Beothucks were probably the Skraelings ("heathens") described by Viking explorers, and therefore the first American Indians ever to encounter Europeans. It's possible these Skraelings were Mi'kmaq or Innu instead; however, the Newfoundland Viking ruins were unearthed in territory known to belong to the Beothuck people. Also, the Norse description of natives obsessed with the color red matches the Beothucks, who decorated themselves so extensively with red ochre that the British called them Red Indians (a term that has found an unfortunate second life as a racist epithet). Anything Beothuck oral history may have said about this encounter has been lost to time. The Beothucks showed little interest in communicating with the second wave of European colonists either, aside from appropriating metal traps and tools the intruders left behind. It's unclear whether they thought the items were left as payment for use of the land (Beothucks often 'traded' indirectly by dropping goods off one night and returning the next to see what had been left in exchange) or whether they were simply stealing them, but the European furriers became increasingly violent about it. The combination of French and British attacks, European diseases, and starvation as they were driven inland spelled the extinction of the Beothuck people. In 1829 the last surviving Beothuck, Shanawdithit, died in English captivity.

English. Sickly infant/child. Started at Oxford, had to leave due to cost. Was quite unattractive. Failed as a teacher, partially for lack of degree, in spite of brilliance. Prolific writer with a number of very close friends.

well, for mty question, the correct answer was Baudoin. Baudoin de Boulogne became the first king of Jerusalem, 1100 I believe. Godefroy de Bouillon was never king of Jerusalem (to respect the Christ, who never wear a gold crown).
Baudoin was his brother.

Baudoin was effectivly the name of a belgian king (of the 50's), and Boulogne was the french city with the military camp ;) .

Did somebody see "Kingdom of Heaven", the movie of Ridley Scott about the Crusades ? a good movie I find, nice, and interesting. (sadly, they didn't speak of Philippe II Auguste).

Kathianne said:
English. Sickly infant/child. Started at Oxford, had to leave due to cost. Was quite unattractive. Failed as a teacher, partially for lack of degree, in spite of brilliance. Prolific writer with a number of very close friends.
This question is not googlable- hint!

USViking said:
This question is not googlable- hint!

Let's see, perhaps one of England's best known writers over many genres. Many of his close friends liked to hang with him in the local taverns, discussing grand ideas over ale! :beer:

Kathianne said:
Let's see, perhaps one of England's best known writers over many genres. Many of his close friends liked to hang with him in the local taverns, discussing grand ideas over ale! :beer:

My mind just keeps drawing a blank. Dickens?

Kathianne said:
Samuel Johnson.

Question:
Who was his famous biographer, also famous as one of the foremost diarists
in literary history?

Forum List

Back