History Quiz

I just want to say, that having read through the last 3 pages, this is the most disagreeable, agreeable grouping of nerds I've ever seen! :thup: :funnyface

Kathianne said:
I just want to say, that having read through the last 3 pages, this is the most disagreeable, agreeable grouping of nerds I've ever seen! :thup: :funnyface

It's all Viking, the cantankerous nut! :dev2:

J/k of course! :D

Said1 said:
It's all Viking, the cantankerous nut! :dev2:
J/k of course! :D

Well I just know I had nothing to do with any of this! :rock: I am ALWAYS an :halo: :laugh:

gop_jeff said:
I can't believe I beat the Canadian!!! Woo-hoo!!!

:D

So... which future President was wounded at the Battle of Trenton?

Was it Monroe? I think he's one the only other early Presidents who was a fighter.

IControlThePast said:
Was it Monroe? I think he's one the only other early Presidents who was a fighter.
James Monroe is correct, next question?

IControlThePast said:
He created Germany's military plan of attack for WW1

The answer is Alfred von Schlieffen, a German noble. I remember going over this in 11th grade American history and will ALWAYS remember the Shclieffen plan, probably because of the way it was told.

I know this isn't part of the question, but the short of the plan and what went wrong was this.

Germany had railroads. It still does. Now when I say railroads, I actually mean RAIL-FRICKIN-ROADS. Trains criss-crossed that thing like cars through an interchange. Well, Mr. (Lord, Count, Baron, Duke, whatever) von Shlieffen came up with a use for these railroads. If Germany went to war in Europe (remember the concept of power balance in those days), it was caught between the three allies: Britain, France, and Russia. The Russian army at the time was terrible, unorganized and very non-aggressive, so minimal troops would be sent to the eastern front to fend off the Russians. In the meantime, the rest of the German Army would load itself onto all trains. Passenger, cargo, whatever was there, all commercial rail trips were cancelled and the Army would be mobilized lightning fast. The main line would hit France right on the border while another division blitzed through The Netherlands and decimated the French flank. It's actually one of the precursors to both Blitzkrieg (sp?) and "Shock and Awe." The concept was to take over the country of France almost without firing a shot by overwhelming them with lightning speed and vastly superior numbers...initially. France would be conquored within a few weeks, then Germany could either shift the troops to the eastern front to take Russia or they could try to get past the British Royal Navy to land there and conqor it, or at least force a surrender. This was a way to handle the two front war.

Now, here's what went wrong. Once the Russians declared war on the Turks for their oppression of Slavs following Archduke Ferdinand's assassination, Germany was bound by treaty to help. They knew that going after Russia would get France and Britain into the fight. Right after the order was given, the Russians decided they'd rather sit down at the bargaining table than start the Great World War. The problem was that France now had several million soldiers heading towards its border and Germany wasn't able to stop the trains (all phones were land lines and no radio) or convince the French that they were simply going to turn around, so the Shlieffen plan had to be executed. It might have worked, too, except the northen division sent to flank through The Netherlands ran into quite a few castles. Oh, sure, artillery made short work of them, but not short enough. By the time that division reached France, the French were prepared and held them to a stalemate until America showed up.

And that, boys and girls, is the Shlieffen plan.

USViking said:
Hey Frodo, where's the question?

Had to make absolutely sure I was right. One at a time quiz competition ettiquette dictates that you never assume correctness.

Ok, new question:

What ancient Chinese warlord ordered his own beheading for letting his horse damage a wheat field, but eventually settled for a shaved head after his subordinates convinced him his death would be a detriment to the army?

Hobbit said:
Had to make absolutely sure I was right. One at a time quiz competition ettiquette dictates that you never assume correctness.

Ok, new question:

What ancient Chinese warlord ordered his own beheading for letting his horse damage a wheat field, but eventually settled for a shaved head after his subordinates convinced him his death would be a detriment to the army?
Tsao Tsao?

Forum List

Back