History Quiz

Kathianne said:
Who said this about your country:

There are no limits to the majestic future which lies before the mighty expanse of Canada with its verile, aspiring, cultured, and generous-hearted people.

I'm pretty sure that was Churchhill.

Said1 said:
Go ahead. That one is used a lot on Canadian boards.

There aren't a whole bunch of 'old' Canadian quotes.

Try this one, I was quite surprised to find it:

"A meeting between two people who complete each other, who are made for each other, borders already, in my opinion, on a miracle."

Kathianne said:
There aren't a whole bunch of 'old' Canadian quotes.

Try this one, I was quite surprised to find it:

"A meeting between two people who complete each other, who are made for each other, borders already, in my opinion, on a miracle."

Jerry McGuire.........."you complete me..." :puke:

Said1 said:
:laugh: Good one. Go again.

Ok, one you should get:

"But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint."

Kathianne said:
Ok, one you should get:

"But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint."

Burke of course. :)

I like order. As long as someone else is in charge of it. :D

just one :
Who said :

"An absolute King is sometimes Nero, but can be also Marcus-Aurelius. An absolute people is often Nero, and never Marcus-Aurelius"

(or can be found like that : "A tyran has some good moments, an assembly of tyrans has never it")

padisha emperor said:
just one :
Who said :

"An absolute King is sometimes Nero, but can be also Marcus-Aurelius. An absolute people is often Nero, and never Marcus-Aurelius"

(or can be found like that : "A tyran has some good moments, an assembly of tyrans has never it")
I'm sleepy, guess: Shakespeare? :laugh:

padisha emperor said:
just one :
Who said :

Jean-Jacques Rousseau?

It can't be Rousseau, it's against democracy (with the Socratic conception of Democracy : government of the ignorants)

It was Voltaire.

(for the Locke's quote : I believe that he was for the property right, inalienable, and this quote seems to show the inverse.)

padisha emperor said:
It can't be Rousseau, it's against democracy (with the Socratic conception of Democracy : government of the ignorants)

It was Voltaire.

(for the Locke's quote : I believe that he was for the property right, inalienable, and this quote seems to show the inverse.)

Alas, all I remembered of Rousseau was his
jaundiced view of the benefit of human
technical advance, and I thought he might
have opted out of the program for Democracy
as well.

That was a good question, though, ask another.

Who is the author of this allegory (translate from french too, sorry, the main ideas are in ;) )

"You give the commandement of a ship to a captain, you give your body to a doctor. These are competent persons. That's why you can't give the government to the people, unable and ignorant to lead. Aristocracy is better, men command by their worse"

(JJ Rousseau : the absolute democracy, with the general will : absolute, eternal, undivisible, and unfaillible. >> dictatorship of the people, and open to the totalitarism)

padisha emperor said:
I

It would seem that way at first glance wouldn't it. But, when thinking of the states purpose in Locke's' view, it makes a bit more sense.

Said1 said:
It would seem that way at first glance wouldn't it. But, when thinking of the states purpose in Locke's' view, it makes a bit more sense.

Yep, it did. Reason I had added, 'or Marx'. :laugh:

Forum List

Back