Hoarder Dies When House Collapses From All Her Stuff

Hubby is a hoarder..sorta. He has so many tools he could open his own mechanic shop. I keep asking why we need 10 of everything and he said "cuz they are expensive and what if I lose some?"

So I sigh and keep my mouth shut cuz at least he stores them out in his shed.

One episode of Hoarders featured a woman who would poop in plastic bags and throw them in a corner. The crew even found dead cats underneath the clutter in her house.

A Connecticut woman who police described as an apparent hoarder was found dead Saturday after the first floor of her house collapsed under the weight of all her clutter.

Hoarder Dies When House Collapses Under Weight of Clutter - TIME

Anyone know any hoarders?

A buddy of mine knows a hoarder. His place got so full of "stuff" he had to go live in a homeless shelter. But he kept paying rent on his place plus several storage lockers needed for the overflow.

I'm a bit of a hoarder myself. I hate to throw anything out. But I overcome the remorse and go through the place once in a while and chuck stuff out, almost randomly. We moved one time and I took 9 pick-up loads of "stuff" (that I had gathered that just maybe I might find a use for) to the dump.

Yikes! :eek: That's a lot.

I will confess and admit that I am a hoarder. Thing is I only hoard nonperishable food items like canned goods. I usually keep a 3 year supply of canned goods and various nonperishable drinks in the cellar in the event of an unforeseeable catastrophe. This would cover my family (wife, son, and myself), and a few close neighbors. Chances are an event of this magnitude may never occur, but the hoarder in myself refuses to acknowledge this.

It's a good idea to keep a supply of non-perishable food stored, in case of an emergency situation. Three years is a lot though. When are you building your bomb shelter? :D
Thing is I also donate a lot of nonperishable stuff to the church and various organizations. Then I simply replace part of my stock. So my supply comes in handy in more than one way. :D

I will confess and admit that I am a hoarder. Thing is I only hoard nonperishable food items like canned goods. I usually keep a 3 year supply of canned goods and various nonperishable drinks in the cellar in the event of an unforeseeable catastrophe. This would cover my family (wife, son, and myself), and a few close neighbors. Chances are an event of this magnitude may never occur, but the hoarder in myself refuses to acknowledge this.

[MENTION=45739]Jughead[/MENTION]

Jughead,

You should think about a big cooler in case your power ever goes out because then you can keep your food cold. My boss put her food in a cooler on top of the snow for three days and everything was still frozen.

I am in a hurricane zone so I started buying Cree flashlights off of ebay that use AA batteries, we bought a generator, two utility pumps and I just bought a heater last spring.

Our power went off for three days in winter so I'm looking into getting a transfer switch to power six circuits and the heater.

I just bought an LED attachment off of ebay for 9 volt batteries and I bought a lantern that uses Cree batteries.

Our neighbor lost her FIOS battery in one of the storms and had to have it replaced as they go dead after eight hours of being unplugged.

I possibly want to buy more of some of these items because I know what it was like to go through hurricane Sandy that knocked our power out for 15-19 hours and then the ice storm that knocked our power out for three days but I am pretty well prepared for now.

We already have family radios (GRSM) but I started getting interested in a CB radio because when our town lost power for three days, the police turned a switch and our cell phones were for 911 only and if you don't have power to power your FIOS batteries for your home phone, you need a way to communicate.

Chuck

Last edited:
A Connecticut woman who police described as an apparent hoarder was found dead Saturday after the first floor of her house collapsed under the weight of all her clutter.

What an awful way to die. It boggles the mind to think of how much stuff it would take to collapse a floor like that.

Yes my mother is a hoarder although not that bad that her floors would collapse. The good news is her hoarding produced at least two very tidy kids. My younger sibling and I would never let our houses get that way. My other sibling is what I would describe as normal when it comes to cleaning. some clutter but not out of control.

What an awful way to die. It boggles the mind to think of how much stuff it would take to collapse a floor like that.

Yes my mother is a hoarder although not that bad that her floors would collapse. The good news is her hoarding produced at least two very tidy kids. My younger sibling and I would never let our houses get that way. My other sibling is what I would describe as normal when it comes to cleaning. some clutter but not out of control.

Well there goes the theory its a strictly learned behavior.

Jughead,

You should think about a big cooler in case your power ever goes out because then you can keep your food cold. My boss put her food in a cooler on top of the snow for three days and everything was still frozen.

I am in a hurricane zone so I started buying Cree flashlights off of ebay that use AA batteries, we bought a generator, two utility pumps and I just bought a heater last spring.

Our power went off for three days in winter so I'm looking into getting a transfer switch to power six circuits and the heater.

I just bought an LED attachment off of ebay for 9 volt batteries and I bought a lantern that uses Cree batteries.

Our neighbor lost her FIOS battery in one of the storms and had to have it replaced as they go dead after eight hours of being unplugged.

I possibly want to buy more of some of these items because I know what it was like to go through hurricane Sandy that knocked our power out for 15-19 hours and then the ice storm that knocked our power out for three days but I am pretty well prepared for now.

We already have family radios (GRSM) but I started getting interested in a CB radio because when our town lost power for three days, the police turned a switch and our cell phones were for 911 only and if you don't have power to power your FIOS batteries for your home phone, you need a way to communicate.

Chuck

Police control the phone company now? :lol: Don't think so Chuck. What I did learn in Katrina about storms and cellphones though, if there's equipment out of service and the system won't handle a call, that's when texting finally has a purpose. We refugees couldn't make voice calls but found that texts would go through, so you'd text the number of a landline you ended up at, and they'd call it. The only constructive use I've ever found for texting but there it is. It's all about bandwidth. Voices use too much, text hardly any. Then of course some clown is going to start sending pictures of a downed tree and slow everything down..

Using snow and ice to preserve food is always a good idea. Never heard of a "FIOS battery" -- what does that do, provide backup power for your FIOS TV? In that situation TV is not your priority; radio maybe... or you can just do what I do and keep a UPS system for at least short-term fill-ins. If my power goes out I don't even lose the internet because the UPS kicks in, and speaking of communication you can use the internet to make phone calls too -- Skype is one way, Gmail is another -- I make lots of outgoing calls via Gmail (and they're free).

Double-A (AA) flashlights and devices aren't that useful; AAs don't last very long. That's what D batteries are for. The bigger the battery the more stamina it's going to have. AA flashlights are largely a waste of time. Even with fresh batteries they don't cast much light. When I grew up we always had oil lamps around -- my mom called them 'hurricane lamps'. They, or candles, always help light up a room and never need batteries.

Also having a water supply can be handy. Where I am in the forest primeval, our water comes from a spring that's pumped into the house, so if the power goes, so does our water supply. Fortunately if there's a storm there's probably been precipitation, which means the creek that runs through the property is pretty full, so I walk over there with my bucket, fill 'er up and I get enough to keep the toilet working. For drinking and cooking I've got some 5-gallon jugs stored upstairs.

Then of course if it's winter, some backup heat source if your normal source depends on electricity. Mine doesn't now, but when I was a kid we had a blizzard that knocked us out for days; I remember we confined ourselves to a single room that had a kerosene heater for the occasion. We got by with that. And a camping stove helps if you want a hot meal. Then there are little things-- when we evacuated to my mother's house for Katrina, and they lost power too, there was canned food but we found that my mother had nothing but electric can openers. I had to actually go out and search for a place to buy a hand-operated can opener so we could eat. Electronic dependence.... :rolleyes:

I've got a hand-crank coffee grinder too. Not gonna go without that. :coffee:

Knowing what I know about Jughead though, I suspect he doesn't hoard for the sake of preparation; he hoards because he likes food. :lol: I'll bet he's found a source for canned hamburgers. :eusa_shifty:

Last edited:
On second thought...maybe I don't feel so bad. I saw one show (last one I watched) about a woman that had poop piled so high in her toilet, it rised a foot ABOVE the toilet seat. She would just hunker over that pile and add to it.

Disgusting. And they are a hazard to neighboring homes due to disease potential.
Yuck! Why would anyone want to hang onto such a thing? If that isn't nuts, I don't know what is.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

A buddy of mine knows a hoarder. His place got so full of "stuff" he had to go live in a homeless shelter. But he kept paying rent on his place plus several storage lockers needed for the overflow.

I'm a bit of a hoarder myself. I hate to throw anything out. But I overcome the remorse and go through the place once in a while and chuck stuff out, almost randomly. We moved one time and I took 9 pick-up loads of "stuff" (that I had gathered that just maybe I might find a use for) to the dump.

Yikes! :eek: That's a lot.

I was running a construction crew at the time (excavation, site prep) and we often did demolitions. Amazing what you can find in old buildings that you just hate to throw away.

Police control the phone company now? :lol: Don't think so Chuck. What I did learn in Katrina about storms and cellphones though, if there's equipment out of service and the system won't handle a call, that's when texting finally has a purpose. We refugees couldn't make voice calls but found that texts would go through, so you'd text the number of a landline you ended up at, and they'd call it. The only constructive use I've ever found for texting but there it is. It's all about bandwidth. Voices use too much, text hardly any. Then of course some clown is going to start sending pictures of a downed tree and slow everything down..

Using snow and ice to preserve food is always a good idea. Never heard of a "FIOS battery" -- what does that do, provide backup power for your FIOS TV? In that situation TV is not your priority; radio maybe... or you can just do what I do and keep a UPS system for at least short-term fill-ins. If my power goes out I don't even lose the internet because the UPS kicks in, and speaking of communication you can use the internet to make phone calls too -- Skype is one way, Gmail is another -- I make lots of outgoing calls via Gmail (and they're free).

Double-A (AA) flashlights and devices aren't that useful; AAs don't last very long. That's what D batteries are for. The bigger the battery the more stamina it's going to have. AA flashlights are largely a waste of time. Even with fresh batteries they don't cast much light. When I grew up we always had oil lamps around -- my mom called them 'hurricane lamps'. They, or candles, always help light up a room and never need batteries.

We couldn't text during the ice storm because the cell phone lines were used for 911 calls.

The FIOS is basically a Fiber Optic Cable and your phone runs on it as well as your TV. It is all shared. The phone company rips out the copper wire and gives you a backup battery because communication is done on a fiber optic wire. The backup battery only lasts eight hours.

With LEDs, batteries last a lot longer because LEDs use a lot less electricity. We have a lot of AA and we have lantern as well as other types of flashlights so that we can use other batteries if we have them available.

I have a windup radio as well for storms.

Jughead,

Chuck
Thanks, Chuck.

We do indeed have some large sized coolers, we've made use of them in the past for picnics and tailgate parties. I was living in a hurricane zone many years ago (Tulsa), but no more. Power failures where I'm now are not common.

I agree that it's good to be prepared in the event of a natural disaster. As you mentioned, generators are good to have. I like to keep canned goods on supply as well. Just need to make sure that I don't get too carried away and start becoming a hoarder, and start filling every room in the house with canned goods....lol

We couldn't text during the ice storm because the cell phone lines were used for 911 calls.

The FIOS is basically a Fiber Optic Cable and your phone runs on it as well as your TV. It is all shared. The phone company rips out the copper wire and gives you a backup battery because communication is done on a fiber optic wire. The backup battery only lasts eight hours.

With LEDs, batteries last a lot longer because LEDs use a lot less electricity. We have a lot of AA and we have lantern as well as other types of flashlights so that we can use other batteries if we have them available.

I have a windup radio as well for storms.

That's true about the LEDs -- but still, the tiny units they put them in cast very little light.

For communication in lieu of cell service I'd say get chew a Gmail account or a Magic Jack. With the former you can make all the calls you want and with the latter you can receive them too, and all you need is a working modem, which you can run off a UPS and it takes very little power.

That's true about the LEDs -- but still, the tiny units they put them in cast very little light.

For communication in lieu of cell service I'd say get chew a Gmail account or a Magic Jack. With the former you can make all the calls you want and with the latter you can receive them too, and all you need is a working modem, which you can run off a UPS and it takes very little power.

You can't directly look into a Cree bulb turned on without it blinding you. I use them over incandescent bulbs because it is like night and day.

You can't directly look into a Cree bulb turned on without it blinding you. I use them over incandescent bulbs because it is like night and day.

I have no clue what a "Cree" bulb is. Should I ask Buffy Sainte-Marie? :dunno:

I have no clue what a "Cree" bulb is. Should I ask Buffy Sainte-Marie? :dunno:

I''m guessing it is a semiconductor but the flashlights sometimes come with a laser symbol on it.

7W 600LM CREE Q5 LED Zoom Zoomable Focus Mini 14500 Flashlight Torch SA3 Red | eBay

This little guy uses a AA battery and I just love them.

Well there goes the theory its a strictly learned behavior.

No it's a mental illness and very hereditary. Actually my mothers father was a hoarder too. Now my younger sibling is the complete opposite of the spectrum but it's still in the same family of mental illness. She can't stand clutter or anything out of place. She'll spend an hour straightening a picture, arranges her groceries in her shopping cart perfectly and heaven forbid you put a knife in with the forks. I'm more of a germaphobe,hand washing,scrub something endlessly; that type of thing.

At least you use your crazy for something beneficial.

Forum List

Back