Homosexuality and the Torah -and- the Christian NT

You are magnanimous enough to want them to lead lives they must hide from society.
You are selling yourself with your avatar as someone who's sense of self is tied up in his masculinity. People that wore that uniform fought and died for gays to have their freedom to pursue their happiness, and not be marginalized in the shadows.
Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

No, [MENTION=48205]thebrucebeat[/MENTION].

[MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] is a respected andintelligent member of USMB, one who goes out of his way to build bridges to people of all types, Left, Right, male, female, straight or gay.

He is straight, as am I, but he is not narrow. And neither am I.

You are out of line for someone who is so new here and who doesn't even know the players yet. You should apologize to him, if you have any decency within yourself.

40MILLION + DEAD OF AIDS ANOTHER 40,000,000 HIV POSITIVE=RUINED LIVES OF SHAME AND GUILT=FOR WHAT???? =SICK SEXUAL PERVERSUION!!!! WHY NOT OBEY GOD???? LIVE AND NOT DIE A STINKING,ROTTING WHILE TRYING TO HANG on to life,crying,screaming,cursing slow death then judgment day!!! THINK!

Are you really that ignorant? Really?

no, [mention=48205]thebrucebeat[/mention].

[mention=36767]bloodrock44[/mention] is a respected andintelligent member of usmb, one who goes out of his way to build bridges to people of all types, left, right, male, female, straight or gay.

He is straight, as am i, but he is not narrow. And neither am i.

You are out of line for someone who is so new here and who doesn't even know the players yet. You should apologize to him, if you have any decency within yourself.

40million + dead of aids another 40,000,000 hiv positive=ruined lives of shame and guilt=for what???? =sick sexual perversuion!!!! Why not obey god???? Live and not die a stinking,rotting while trying to hang on to life,crying,screaming,cursing slow death then judgment day!!! Think!

are you really that ignorant? Really?

i would say the ignorant one is the sick pervert!!! And you??

40million + dead of aids another 40,000,000 hiv positive=ruined lives of shame and guilt=for what???? =sick sexual perversuion!!!! Why not obey god???? Live and not die a stinking,rotting while trying to hang on to life,crying,screaming,cursing slow death then judgment day!!! Think!

I would say it's the sick son of a bitch who keeps plastering the board with scriptures untill everyone wants to puke. If you think this is your way of winning souls for Christ -

yer doing it wrong!

I would say it's the sick son of a bitch who keeps plastering the board with scriptures untill everyone wants to puke. If you think this is your way of winning souls for Christ -

yer doing it wrong!

BELIEVERS love GOD'S ETERNAL LIVING WORD but satan and demons and those on the fast track to hell hate it!!!!and you?????

As a believer, I take scripture literally. One translation says a man shall not lie with a man as he would a woman. It is an abomination. Another says a man shall not lie with a man as he would a woman. God hates that. I don't give the subject any more weight as I do the sin of adultery. Personally, I don't give a rats ass what 2 men or 2 women do in the privacy of their own bedrooms. My problem is when they throw it in my face and say you will agree with us or we'll label you as a hater and make your life miserable. And don't tell me that is not happening.

You are magnanimous enough to want them to lead lives they must hide from society.
You are selling yourself with your avatar as someone who's sense of self is tied up in his masculinity. People that wore that uniform fought and died for gays to have their freedom to pursue their happiness, and not be marginalized in the shadows.

[MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] is a respected and intelligent member of USMB, one who goes out of his way to build bridges to people of all types, Left, Right, male, female, straight, gay, Christian, Jew, muslim, Buddhist, you name it.

I address posts, not people.
He suggests as long as they live closeted lives he's ok with that.
That is no longer an acceptable alternative.

The wicked are far from rescue,
for they do not bother with your decrees.
Lord, how great is your mercy;
let me be revived by following your regulations.
Many persecute and trouble me,
yet I have not swerved from your laws.
Seeing these traitors makes me sick at heart,
because they care nothing for your word.
See how I love your commandments, Lord.
Give back my life because of your unfailing love.
The very essence of your words is truth;
all your just regulations will stand forever. psalm 119:155-160

[MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] is a respected andintelligent member of USMB, one who goes out of his way to build bridges to people of all types, Left, Right, male, female, straight or gay.

40MILLION + DEAD OF AIDS ANOTHER 40,000,000 HIV POSITIVE=RUINED LIVES OF SHAME AND GUILT=FOR WHAT???? =SICK SEXUAL PERVERSUION!!!! WHY NOT OBEY GOD???? LIVE AND NOT DIE A STINKING,ROTTING WHILE TRYING TO HANG on to life,crying,screaming,cursing slow death then judgment day!!! THINK!
The majority of which are straight people in Africa who are ignorant and overwhelmed by religious patriarchal pablum.
You can look it up.

The majority of which are straight people in Africa who are ignorant and overwhelmed by religious patriarchal pablum.
You can look it up.[/QUOTYES I HAVE DID THE RESEARCH!!====40MILLION + DEAD OF AIDS ANOTHER 40,000,000 HIV POSITIVE=RUINED LIVES OF SHAME AND GUILT=FOR WHAT???? =SICK SEXUAL PERVERSUION!!!! WHY NOT OBEY GOD???? LIVE AND NOT DIE A STINKING,ROTTING WHILE TRYING TO HANG on to life,crying,screaming,cursing slow death then judgment day!!! THINK!

yer doing it wrong!

As St. Augustine wrote, at all times be witnessing, and when necessary use words. The life one leads is the witness, not GYSMYS's constant barrage.

You can look it up.[/QUOTYES I HAVE DID THE RESEARCH!!====40MILLION + DEAD OF AIDS ANOTHER 40,000,000 HIV POSITIVE=RUINED LIVES OF SHAME AND GUILT=FOR WHAT???? =SICK SEXUAL PERVERSUION!!!! WHY NOT OBEY GOD???? LIVE AND NOT DIE A STINKING,ROTTING WHILE TRYING TO HANG on to life,crying,screaming,cursing slow death then judgment day!!! THINK!

So hetero sex is now in your gunsights?
Well, at least you won't reproduce.

yer doing it wrong!

As St. Augustine wrote, at all times be witnessing, and when necessary use words. The life one leads is the witness, not GYSMYS's constant barrage.

That was St. Francis who was supposed to have said that, and he never said it, either.

After saying all these things, Jesus looked up to heaven and said, “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son so he can give glory back to you. 2 For you have given him authority over everyone. He gives eternal life to each one you have given him. 3 And this is the way to have eternal life—to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth. 4 I brought glory to you here on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. 5 Now, Father, bring me into the glory we shared before the world began.

6 “I have revealed you to the ones you gave me from this world. They were always yours. You gave them to me, and they have kept your word. 7 Now they know that everything I have is a gift from you, 8 for I have passed on to them the message you gave me. They accepted it and know that I came from you, and they believe you sent me.

9 “My prayer is not for the world, but for those you have given me, because they belong to you. 10 All who are mine belong to you, and you have given them to me, so they bring me glory. 11 Now I am departing from the world; they are staying in this world, but I am coming to you. Holy Father, you have given me your name; now protect them by the power of your name so that they will be united just as we are. 12 During my time here, I protected them by the power of the name you gave me. I guarded them so that not one was lost, except the one headed for destruction, as the Scriptures foretold.

13 “Now I am coming to you. I told them many things while I was with them in this world so they would be filled with my joy. 14 I have given them your word. And the world hates them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. 15 I’m not asking you to take them out of the world, but to keep them safe from the evil one. 16 They do not belong to this world any more than I do. 17 Make them holy by your truth; teach them your word, which is truth. 18 Just as you sent me into the world, I am sending them into the world. 19 And I give myself as a holy sacrifice for them so they can be made holy by your truth.
JOHN 17:1-17

after saying all these things, jesus looked up to heaven and said, “father, the hour has come. Glorify your son so he can give glory back to you. 2 for you have given him authority over everyone. He gives eternal life to each one you have given him. 3 and this is the way to have eternal life—to know you, the only true god, and jesus christ, the one you sent to earth. 4 i brought glory to you here on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. 5 now, father, bring me into the glory we shared before the world began.

6 “i have revealed you to the ones you gave me from this world. They were always yours. You gave them to me, and they have kept your word. 7 now they know that everything i have is a gift from you, 8 for i have passed on to them the message you gave me. They accepted it and know that i came from you, and they believe you sent me.

9 “my prayer is not for the world, but for those you have given me, because they belong to you. 10 all who are mine belong to you, and you have given them to me, so they bring me glory. 11 now i am departing from the world; they are staying in this world, but i am coming to you. Holy father, you have given me your name; now protect them by the power of your name so that they will be united just as we are. 12 during my time here, i protected them by the power of the name you gave me. I guarded them so that not one was lost, except the one headed for destruction, as the scriptures foretold.

13 “now i am coming to you. I told them many things while i was with them in this world so they would be filled with my joy. 14 i have given them your word. And the world hates them because they do not belong to the world, just as i do not belong to the world. 15 i’m not asking you to take them out of the world, but to keep them safe from the evil one. 16 they do not belong to this world any more than i do. 17 make them holy by your truth; teach them your word, which is truth. 18 just as you sent me into the world, i am sending them into the world. 19 and i give myself as a holy sacrifice for them so they can be made holy by your truth.
John 17:1-17

thank you lord!!! For all eternity i thank you!!! Ptl.

yer doing it wrong!

That was St. Francis who was supposed to have said that, and he never said it, either.

Mea culpa. You are right about Francis, of course, and here is a thoroughly vetted quote from him that leaves us where I began.
"...love one another, as the Lord says: "This is My commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved you." And let them show their love by the works they do for each other, according as the Apostle says: "let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth."
Francis of Assisi, Rule of 1221, Rule 11 - That the Brothers ought not to speak or detract, but ought to love one another."

Well, in MY version of the Tanakh translated into English by the Jewish Publication Society, the text concerning sexual sins covers not only homosexual acts but also adultery, incest, and bestiality. I think we can count on the Jewish Publication Society to have preserved the intent of the law and it reads this way:

"If a man lies with a male as one lies with a woman, the two of them have done an abhorrent thing; they shall be put to death..."

Bestiality, adultery, and incest carry the same penalty. I think that's significant in light of what Paul, a Hebrew and a Pharisee, eventually says later:

The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

In my reading of this, Paul is saying that homosexuality, along with the gossips, the envious, the murderers, the deceitful, etc. are penalties for idolatry, creating their own gods, and exchanging the truth of the Ancient of Days for the lies of their made up Gods, or their own made up theology, if you will.

So in the OT Moses puts homosexual behavior right up there with incest and beastiality and Paul puts it right up there with the rest of the sins he delineates as recompense for abandoning the One True God. Parce the language any way you want. The abandonment of God is at the root of all sin, what a surprise.

Now this:

Yeshuah (Jesus), according to the Christian New Testament (which I have read in full six times so far in my life), was never even once quoted as having said anything at all about a homosexual act, homosexuals or homosexuality.

That can lead one to one of three possible conclusions:

1.) He was unaware of this issue (doubtful)
2.) He didn't know what to say about it (very, very doubtful)
3.) It was not important enough for him to speak about it (the most likely of the three).

You can read through all of the NT, you will not find one quote where Jeshuah specifically talks about this.

I think St. John sums this up nicely:

"Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written."

'Nuff said. Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

Ok, most of that was AWESOME and I am glad you are here.

But come on, that last quote is not of St. John!!!

:lol:

BTW, YOUR version of the Tanakh is the same as everyone's. There is only one version of Tanakh.

Well, in MY version of the Tanakh translated into English by the Jewish Publication Society, the text concerning sexual sins covers not only homosexual acts but also adultery, incest, and bestiality. I think we can count on the Jewish Publication Society to have preserved the intent of the law and it reads this way:

"If a man lies with a male as one lies with a woman, the two of them have done an abhorrent thing; they shall be put to death..."

Bestiality, adultery, and incest carry the same penalty. I think that's significant in light of what Paul, a Hebrew and a Pharisee, eventually says later:

The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

In my reading of this, Paul is saying that homosexuality, along with the gossips, the envious, the murderers, the deceitful, etc. are penalties for idolatry, creating their own gods, and exchanging the truth of the Ancient of Days for the lies of their made up Gods, or their own made up theology, if you will.

So in the OT Moses puts homosexual behavior right up there with incest and beastiality and Paul puts it right up there with the rest of the sins he delineates as recompense for abandoning the One True God. Parce the language any way you want. The abandonment of God is at the root of all sin, what a surprise.

Now this:

Yeshuah (Jesus), according to the Christian New Testament (which I have read in full six times so far in my life), was never even once quoted as having said anything at all about a homosexual act, homosexuals or homosexuality.

That can lead one to one of three possible conclusions:

1.) He was unaware of this issue (doubtful)
2.) He didn't know what to say about it (very, very doubtful)
3.) It was not important enough for him to speak about it (the most likely of the three).

You can read through all of the NT, you will not find one quote where Jeshuah specifically talks about this.

"Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written."

BTW, YOUR version of the Tanakh is the same as everyone's. There is only one version of Tanakh.

I called it my version because it's in English, I don't have a Hebrew version.

All right, it is recorded in John's Gospel, then.

Doc on last night I think is a series, 'Bible Rules' or something to that effect discussing the greater sum of commandments in the Bible. Last night was about the various sex commandments (about 22 or so of them.) Part I caught was talking about the 50% mortality rate and life expectency being about 30 years as a possible reason for the various sex-oritented commandments like no gay sex or adultery. With such catastrophic figures, reproduction becomes very important so even if only 5% of your population is exclusively gay, that still represents a sizable chunk not making babies to fight wars and continue your traditions. Thus forbidding such sexuality makes a lot of sense.

Nowadays of course, with overpopulation a growing concern, hommosexuality should be encouraged for the exact opposite reason. To say nothing of all the kids in foster homes gay couples can adopt and give loving homes for (cue Steve heh.) Now, that 5% or so don't reproduce is fine as lots of kids need homes as it is.

:thup:

Now this:

I called it my version because it's in English, I don't have a Hebrew version.

All right, it is recorded in John's Gospel, then.

rofldeluumlx_zps64b0332f.gif

As a believer, I take scripture literally. One translation says a man shall not lie with a man as he would a woman. It is an abomination. Another says a man shall not lie with a man as he would a woman. God hates that. I don't give the subject any more weight as I do the sin of adultery. Personally, I don't give a rats ass what 2 men or 2 women do in the privacy of their own bedrooms. My problem is when they throw it in my face and say you will agree with us or we'll label you as a hater and make your life miserable. And don't tell me that is not happening.
My thoughts exactly.

[MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] is a respected and intelligent member of USMB, one who goes out of his way to build bridges to people of all types, Left, Right, male, female, straight, gay, Christian, Jew, muslim, Buddhist, you name it.

Not a problem Stat. He's over sensitive which causes him to lash out irrationally. And a perfect example of "agree with me or else you're a hater." Any logical person could see in no way I denigrated homosexuals.

Not a problem Stat. He's over sensitive which causes him to lash out irrationally. And a perfect example of "agree with me or else you're a hater." Any logical person could see in no way I denigrated homosexuals.

You want them to keep their lives in the bedroom. Do you do that with your wife or girlfriend? Do you keep that hidden in the bedroom?
To expect that of gay people is to denigrate them.
Their out, and the marginalizers will not be able to chase them back in.
This battle has already been lost.

Forum List

Back