House GOP Bill Pushes Term Limits

Like the two term limit placed on the Executive, it needs to be a constitutional amendment, not a law.

2/3 of the House
2/3 of the Senate
3/4 of the States

Ain't going to happen

I agree it's not likely at all. Neither will a law. I think the SC would strike down a law.

You are in fact correct. From Florida's Constitution Article IV, Section 4:

(b) No person may appear on the ballot for re-election to any of the following offices:
(1) Florida representative,
(2) Florida senator,
(3) Florida Lieutenant governor,
(4) any office of the Florida cabinet,
(5) U.S. Representative from Florida, or
(6) U.S. Senator from Florida
if, by the end of the current term of office, the person will have served (or, but for resignation, would have served) in that office for eight consecutive years.

Unenforceable for Federal offices.

Contact your elected congresscritter and DEMAND this be passed...

We already have term limits, they’re called elections.

‘Term limits’ is a non-solution advocated by those who are intellectually lazy, as well as being politically ignorant and unsophisticated.

Moreover, the notion of ‘term limits’ undermines the right of the people to a republican form of government and representative democracy, where the people may vote for whomever they wish, as many times as they wish:

[A]n aspect of sovereignty is the right of the people to vote for whom they wish.

U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton, 514 U.S. 779 (1995).

Last edited:
Contact your elected congresscritter and DEMAND this be passed...

We already have term limits, they’re called elections.

‘Term limits’ is a non-solution advocated by those who are intellectually lazy, as well as being politically ignorant and unsophisticated.

Moreover, the notion of ‘term limits’ undermines the right of the people to a republican form of government and representative democracy, where the people may vote for whomever they wish, as many times as they wish:

[A]n aspect of sovereignty is the right of the people to vote for whom they wish.

U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton, 514 U.S. 779 (1995).

Imagine the people being smart enough to decide who their representative is...we need laws to tell them to stop voting for who they want

We have term limits here in Florida. I think it's a disaster.

Rookie n00bs come in and get eaten alive by the lobbyists, who write all the bills.

The idea that somehow term limits will make democracy more representative of the people is horribly naive IMHO. It makes it less so because it puts more power in the hands of the special interests because these guys don't know what they're doing.

And it doesn't make politics much less of a profession. Many of these guys just run for different offices once they're termed out.

We have term limits here in Florida. I think it's a disaster.

Rookie n00bs come in and get eaten alive by the lobbyists, who write all the bills.

The idea that somehow term limits will make democracy more representative of the people is horribly naive IMHO. It makes it less so because it puts more power in the hands of the special interests because these guys don't know what they're doing.

And it doesn't make politics much less of a profession. Many of these guys just run for different offices once they're termed out.

That is what scares me. The idea that someone who does not have a clue as to what the job entails is preferable to someone who is in the job and doing well

Why do conservatives think that there should be no restrictions on money in elections but think there should be restrictions on people in elections?

Shouldn't people be free to run for whatever office they want? And shouldn't people be free to vote for whomever they want?

Contact your elected congresscritter and DEMAND this be passed...and make it for less terms...None of them should make A LIVING sucking off us taxpayers until they are at deaths door...They can go look for a REAL JOB like the rest of us

SNIP:
That would free the Congress Critters from job lock and make them Free Agents.

Via The Hill

Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-S.C.) filed a bill on Tuesday that would amend the Constitution and impose term limits on members of Congress.

The measure would call for a maximum of 24 years of service for lawmakers, with 12 years each in both the House and Senate.

Lawmakers in the House are up for election every two years, while senators’ terms run six years. The Constitution, however, does not limit the number of terms a person can serve.

“Believe me, 24 years is more than enough time to serve in Washington. (I actually pushed for much shorter terms but compromised at 12+12 in order to gain the support of additional co-sponsors),” Mulvaney said in a statement on Wednesday. “And I want to thank my friends Steve Scalise (R-La.), Reid Ribble (R-Wis.) and Steve Palazzo (R-Miss.) for their work in getting this bill together.”

The introduction of the bill comes after a series of polls have indicated Congress’s approval rating is at record lows. A Gallup poll in January found 13 percent of people approved of the job that Congress is doing. During the government shutdown in October, the approval rating stood at just 5 percent.

“Now the question becomes: How can we convince enough members of Congress that they are the problem?” Mulvaney added.

ALL of it here
House GOP Bill Pushes Term Limits | Weasel Zippers

I applaud the sentiment, but you're dreaming if you belive Congress is capable of reforming itself. It would be easier to get lions to eat vegetables.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back