House Passes 1.1 Trillion With 5,000 Earmarks? Say it Ain't So

Congress passed a 1.1 trillion dollar spending bill. Has 5,000 in earmarks, what was Obama campaigning about earmarks?
I guess it's "Same as it always was" type of politics. Where's the change?

It's down by 10,000 over the last con budget. That's a change isn't it?

Congress passed a 1.1 trillion dollar spending bill. Has 5,000 in earmarks, what was Obama campaigning about earmarks?

You don't really understand, do you?
Your just posting with an emotion, and without any real thought process.
Try to understand what the thread stated, and read what others have commented on. :eusa_whistle:

Try to understand what the thread stated, and read what others have commented on. :eusa_whistle:

I thought I understood just fine. This is the lowest earmarks have been since FY96. That's good isn't it? That is a change isn't it; the type of change conservatives want? Or do cons want us to go back to the last con budget that contained nearly 15,000 earmarks? What is it?

You didn't address Obama's campaign promise.
What ever happened to the "Hope and Change" jingle?

Projects, known as earmarks, are inserted into annual budget bills at the request of members. Stephen Ellis of Taxpayers for Common Sense said his organization identified 5,224 earmarks in the bill worth about $3.9 billion.
Earmarks 'robust' in House $1T spending bill - USATODAY.com

3.9 billion is not chump change, BFGRN

Compared to 1.1 Trillion it is. .35% of the total to be exact.

It is also a much smaller amount than in similar Republican spending bills passed while they held the majority.

bush-budget-2009.jpg

the CATO institute!....ouch.

Nice graphic, mind if I steal it for another thread?

Projects, known as earmarks, are inserted into annual budget bills at the request of members. Stephen Ellis of Taxpayers for Common Sense said his organization identified 5,224 earmarks in the bill worth about $3.9 billion.

It is also a much smaller amount than in similar Republican spending bills passed while they held the majority.

Yeah but it seems so small when you say it like that. How can you bash Obama when you say it like that???

I thought I understood just fine. This is the lowest earmarks have been since FY96. That's good isn't it? That is a change isn't it; the type of change conservatives want? Or do cons want us to go back to the last con budget that contained nearly 15,000 earmarks? What is it?

OK...let's take a few steps back. With the state of the economy as it is, and our debt rising as it is, should we really have the earmarks. Forget about what history has, I'm talking about right now, Pete.
Also....Obama said he was going to get rid of the earmarks, this was the change he was suppose to bring to DC.
Please try not to use the....."well they did it, so I'm going to do it, too" excuse...it's weak.

Yeah but it seems so small when you say it like that. How can you bash Obama when you say it like that???

3.9 Billion? Of coarse the mindless sheep wouldn't think it was much. after all, WELL, BUSH DID IT, SO WE CAN TOO.
3.9 billion is a lot of money when you don't have it. Please try and wake up to that fact, and please don't make some pathetic excuses.

OK...let's take a few steps back. With the state of the economy as it is, and our debt rising as it is, should we really have the earmarks. Forget about what history has, I'm talking about right now, Pete.
Also....Obama said he was going to get rid of the earmarks, this was the change he was suppose to bring to DC.
Please try not to use the....."well they did it, so I'm going to do it, too" excuse...it's weak.

We've had earmarks since our very first budget. Do you really think Obama is going to do what the founders couldn't. That isn't an excuse but a simple fact. And you want to talk about now? Well now we have a 65% decline in earmarks. This is no doubt the largest reduction in history. No congress, republican or democrat, has accomplished this in the past. What is it you want me to bash Obama over?

Here is my position: if it is a choice between 5,000 earmarks and 15,000 earmarks I'll take the 5,000. If that makes you unhappy I really couldn't care...

We've had earmarks since our very first budget. Do you really think Obama is going to do what the founders couldn't. That isn't an excuse but a simple fact. And you want to talk about now? Well now we have a 65% decline in earmarks. This is no doubt the largest reduction in history. No congress, republican or democrat, has accomplished this in the past. What is it you want me to bash Obama over?

Here is my position: if it is a choice between 5,000 earmarks and 15,000 earmarks I'll take the 5,000. If that makes you unhappy I really couldn't care...

I don't want you to bash Obama, you don't have it in you, Pete. You would follow him over a cliff, I understand that. But still...and I say it again, with this economy the way it is, and massive debt increases we can't afford the 3.9 Billion dollars. Let alone the 1.1 trillion budget bill, I will get to that in another thread.

With the economy in the state that it is, I just can't believe that Congress can't control themselves.

Why is it hard to believe? The American people won't hold them accountable for it so of course they're going to do it.

Most of the American people have no right to complain about govt spending, they have not done very well on managing their money either.

:eusa_eh:
If that is all you've got as an excuse making statement. I would say you have failed miserably. :eusa_eh:

I don't want you to bash Obama, you don't have it in you, Pete. You would follow him over a cliff, I understand that. But still...and I say it again, with this economy the way it is, and massive debt increases we can't afford the 3.9 Billion dollars. Let alone the 1.1 trillion budget bill, I will get to that in another thread.

OK, let's get real here.

Republicans spent massive amounts of money on Republican spending plans, with money going mainly to Republican states. With many, many earmarks.

They also took money from Social Security to fund their massive amounts of over-spending.

Now Democrats are trying to run the government, with all the massive bloated programs the Republicans left in place, and they are actually cutting spending from what it was.

But now, you people, (whether you be "Libertarians" or "Conservatives" or whatever) who did in fact support the Republicans by voting for them in multiple elections, are now screaming that you want the Democrats to be the bad guys, cutting programs, and raising taxes. That way next time around they can lose a whole bunch of elections and you can start the process all over again???

You see, that way, Republicans can keep on funding all their little pet projects, and then they can point the finger at the Democrats because Democrats had to cut Medicare and Social Security and whatever.

I'll tell you what, why don't you elect some people that don't just repeat talking points about "Lower Taxes and Fiscal Responsibility", and then when the Republicans that YOU VOTED FOR are actually in office, we can reduce the deficit and cut programs. And they can be "the bad guys" because they live up to their campaign promises.

K?

Last edited:
bush-budget-2009.jpg

the CATO institute!....ouch.

We don't know what numbers Mr. Piperni was looking at when he created that picture or what spending specifically he was referring to or at what point in time. You're using a visual aide that you don't understand.

The national debt increased by roughly $5 trillion under Bush, which was an absolute abomination. Under Obama it has increased another $2 trillion and they're prepared to raise the debt ceiling another trillion. That's over one-third of what was spent during the Bush administration and he hasn't been in office even a full year yet.

That aside, pointing to somebody else's wrong to justify your own doesn't make what you've done any less wrong. The bottom line is debt spending is taking us down a quick path to national bankruptcy and it needs to stop immediately. It doesn't matter what Obama's predecessors have done. He's the president now and has the power to stop it.

A $1.1 trillion spending bill laced with budget increases and more than 5,000 congressional pet projects passed the House on Thursday amid criticism from Republicans and watchdog groups.
The package — which combines six annual spending bills into one — includes $447 billion in operating expenses, with an average increase of 10%, and more than $600 billion for Medicare and Medicaid.

It was approved 221 to 202 and now moves to the Senate. No House Republicans voted for the bill, and 28 Democrats broke with their party to oppose it

They just can't stop using that no-limit credit card--can they---:lol::lol: Heck they've moved past our grandkids & are now into the great-great--grandkids for repayment.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL YOU BROKE CITIZENS!

Hope you at least have one of these temporary jobs!

$Santa claus.jpg

And no earmarks for Republicans in it?

Just what is an earmark anyway? Considering the stimulus plan most anything in there can be considered an earmark.

eramraks are the same as a bribe......put a mill in there for my pet project in my home district and you have my vote.....there were 5000 of those.....wonder who got more than one....

and yep the dems are as bad as the pubs.....yet you keep voting the same idiots into office and expect things to change......

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

Oh give me a break. I'll bet a dollar against your nickle that you had no clue how grotesque pork had become under republicans nor that even today republicans are still amongst the leads of the pork pack. Whine all you like about 'what we can't afford' but until those you vote for listen don't expect me to...

Forum List

Back