How can NASA's new telescope see 'back in time' to the beginnings of the universe?

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Why are we only seeing these scenes now, when some are from billions of years ago?
Light has a limited speed so it genuinely has taken up to 13 billion years for the light generated by some of these galaxies and stars to reach us now.

By comparison, it takes light about 1 second to travel from the moon and 8 minutes from the sun. Therefore, we see the sun as it was 8 minutes ago. If it were to disappear, we would find out 8 minutes later.

Why are we only seeing these scenes now, when some are from billions of years ago?
Light has a limited speed so it genuinely has taken up to 13 billion years for the light generated by some of these galaxies and stars to reach us now.

By comparison, it takes light about 1 second to travel from the moon and 8 minutes from the sun. Therefore, we see the sun as it was 8 minutes ago. If it were to disappear, we would find out 8 minutes later.

The really fucked up part is, the Universe is expanding faster than the speed of light, therefore it will always be impossible to see its edge.

The really fucked up part is, the Universe is expanding faster than the speed of light, therefore it will always be impossible to see its edge.
The wild part is there are solid opinions that the universe "breathes"... as in it expands, contracts and reexpands.
When the universe contracts, the galaxies move closer to each other and eventually become one or more "super galaxies"
Then the universe starts expanding and pulls stars apart to form new galaxies.
How many times has this already happened.... mind blowing

How can NASA's new telescope see 'back in time' to the beginnings of the universe?​

Actually, it is quite complex

First you have to install a Flux Capacitor, then you get the telescope up to 88 mph and set the dial at “Beginning of the universe”

1657884460529.jpeg

They've just point the telescope in a somewhat random place in the sky ... and boom ... there was a galaxy from the beginning of galaxies ... implying that anywhere we point the telescope, we'll see galaxies from the beginning of galaxies ...

They can't point the telescope at Earth ... she's too hot and will burn out the sensors ... quintiple shields to keep it a cool and comfortable 50 K ... or -223ºC ... colder than dry ice ...

We're seeing the deaths of galaxies right now due to gravity. It's BOTH life and death.

You didn't even know what I was laughing about. But apparently I inadvertently offended the science 'expert.' There there :itsok:
I seemed offended? Or is that what you told yourself to soothe and to reward yourself, as that was your highest hope when you trolled the thread?

I know which. And so do you.

Forum List

Back