How do people survive on minimum wage?

How much time do they spend on facebook, twitter, cell-phones, etc?

Children should be grateful that they have the opportunity to study.

They probably spend more time on Facebook now than they used to. And of course people should be happy they have the opportunity to study, but is it fair to prevent someone from persuing their chosen career simply because they scored 95% on their exams instead of 96%?

They probably spend more time on Facebook now than they used to. And of course people should be happy they have the opportunity to study, but is it fair to prevent someone from persuing their chosen career simply because they scored 95% on their exams instead of 96%?

If you don't make the grade you don't make the grade. That's life.

Yes, it is - so don't look down on those people in minimum wage jobs. They have have the skills to go somewhere, but couldn't get into college.

Yes, it is - so don't look down on those people in minimum wage jobs. They have have the skills to go somewhere, but couldn't get into college.

I don't look down at anybody making an honest living.

When OZ exports tens of millions of its industrial jobs to China, and when OZ pumps up its working class by a additional 25% with foreign workers so desperate that they work for pennies illegally, you'll understand it soon enough.

You buy the Chink products and hire the Mexicans so under your analysis you are to blame.

That is actually very true. The American people have become lazy morons. No one even questions where their products came from and no one seems willing to shell out the extra dough to keep those jobs here in America. It is not even about quality anymore. People just want price and they are willing to sink the country to get it. Very sad.

Not usually a matter of extra dough...I just bought 12 3x5 inch American flags, made in America for $1.50 plus tax. I think it's a matter of supply...before I gave up my never buy "made in China" campaign, I searched everywhere for shoes made in the USA for my kids, was even willing to pay more for them. Finally, I thought I'd found the right store. Boxes and boxes, piled to the ceiling all saying "made in the USA". I was so excited...then I checked the shoes "made in Taiwan" seems it was the boxes that were made in the USA. I couldn't find a local shoe store that sold shoes made in the USA.

Our government paid businesses to ship our jobs overseas, they have rewarded illegals for coming here and keeping our wages low. Our government is concerned with Big Business and payoffs, they couldn't care less about the average America citizen. They give us 2 options at the ballot box and both options are the same and the stupid American people keep fighting between the 2 options as if they are each something different.

I think it's too late for Americans to wake up...I think our country is lost. I would have immigrated to another country but they won't have us. Too old for Austrailia, not educated enough for New Zealand, and well, let's face it, what country in the world, other than the USA, is going to let in low skilled labor to compete with their own citizens?

I'm just glad that my husband is near retirement, and I'm, sad to say, also glad that my kids qualify for disability. Never in the world thought I'd be happy to have special needs kids......

Please give me a break! The pressure is too high? If kids are suffering from pressure it's not from having to work or study, but from the huge amount of expensive junk they get.

The pressure IS high. Our kids go to senior school (years 11 and 12) and after coming home from a 6 hour day at school, they get lumped with up to 5 hours of homework - EVERY night. 11 hours pouring over those books. They need to study because if they don't get excellent marks on their exams, they won't be eligible for university. Most of the students study hard but don't get a chance to go to Uni and study their chosen careers.

Well, I guess you're pretty happy with your minimum wage then.

Not exactly. I live at home, so I can manage okay, but I am on the lookout for something different.

I know people with an education who are working mw jobs. There just aren't enough jobs out there. Pretty sad when a college educated person has to take a mw job.

Please give me a break! The pressure is too high? If kids are suffering from pressure it's not from having to work or study, but from the huge amount of expensive junk they get.

The pressure IS high. Our kids go to senior school (years 11 and 12) and after coming home from a 6 hour day at school, they get lumped with up to 5 hours of homework - EVERY night. 11 hours pouring over those books. They need to study because if they don't get excellent marks on their exams, they won't be eligible for university. Most of the students study hard but don't get a chance to go to Uni and study their chosen careers.

Well, I guess you're pretty happy with your minimum wage then.

Not exactly. I live at home, so I can manage okay, but I am on the lookout for something different.

I know people with an education who are working mw jobs. There just aren't enough jobs out there. Pretty sad when a college educated person has to take a mw job.

What is sad is your inductive reasoning.

I wouldn't, maybe the delivery boy should go to college, or heres a good idea, how about he deliver pizzas while in college, and then when he graduates he can then step up and make good money, Instead of working the bottom of the pit jobs and expecting everybody else to make up the difference due to his lack of ambition. Why dont you just go ahead and tip the pizza boy the extra $2 and leave the rest of us the hell alone.

If the delivery boy goes to college, he will need to study. Why would he deliver pizzas when he could be studying for his exams?

Conservatives just don't get it. They think people can go to college and work a full time job at the same time. No wonder kids get so stressed and suffer burnout, the pressure on them is too much.

I went to college and kept a full time job while telling a full time family that dinner is some assembly required. It isn't pretty, but it can be done, Problem is, once I got the BA, there weren't any jobs for it, so I went for the MA. Hopefully I can get into a teaching position at the local community college, and a couple of public service positions. The whole idea was to make my little corner a smidge better anyway, but it'd be nice to make enough to pay back the student loans.

Samson, what's sad is your willful blindness to reality. I knew some one like that, once, twice, a few times. Odd how the attitude changes when want hits home and family. I wasn't happy to see it happen to anyone else, and I hope to hell it doesn't happen to you. Still, it would be refreshing to see some honesty here on the boards.

---(They don't they just exist after 3 years they become zombies)----

Article> One of my clients recently reported getting a job at a fast-food restaurant. Since she's been unemployed and desperately looking for work for nearly a year, I was thrilled for her. She was very excited that she'll be making $7.50 an hour -– a whole quarter more than minimum wage.

After she left my office, I got out a calculator. I've never worked for minimum wage, so I didn't know exactly how much -- or how little -- money that is.

Assuming 80 hours per pay period, my client will be bringing home around $462 every two weeks. That's with no health insurance or retirement contributions.

If I brought home $924 a month, would I even be able to survive? I decided to find out.

read more How do people survive on minimum wage?- MSN Money

They dont. Minimum wage is complete bullshit in america. It takes at minimum TWO middle class incomes to survive and lead a normal life.

Samson, what's sad is your willful blindness to reality. I knew some one like that, once, twice, a few times. Odd how the attitude changes when want hits home and family. I wasn't happy to see it happen to anyone else, and I hope to hell it doesn't happen to you. Still, it would be refreshing to see some honesty here on the boards.

Do you know what inductive reasoning is?

Be honest: don't google it.

I went to college and kept a full time job while telling a full time family that dinner is some assembly required. It isn't pretty, but it can be done, Problem is, once I got the BA, there weren't any jobs for it, so I went for the MA. Hopefully I can get into a teaching position at the local community college, and a couple of public service positions. The whole idea was to make my little corner a smidge better anyway, but it'd be nice to make enough to pay back the student loans.

With a BA you may have gotten a teaching position at a public school.......:eusa_eh:....or you could have joined the military.

And what sort of course of study prepares someone for a job when they ENTER the program, but there are no jobs available 4 years later, when they exit? Why would anyone finance such an enterprise?

I'll be honest, I don't know what it is.

It is extrapolating a few examples into a general rule.......

.......for example, because you have only seen a white rat, and the white rat has white offspring, then you conclude that all rats are white, then you argue on a message board for 72 pages that rats can only be white, because every rat you have seen was white.

.......for example, because you have only seen a white rat, and the white rat has white offspring, then you conclude that all rats are white, then you argue on a message board for 72 pages that rats can only be white, because every rat you have seen was white.

I see, alot of posters on here seem to use that reasoning.

I see, alot of posters on here seem to use that reasoning.

Indeed, it is pretty easy to identify the ignorant.

It is why I find message boards entertaining.

Conversely, deductive reasoning, or taking a general truth and applying it to individual situations is rather rare, and often simply ignored on a message board.

Forum List

Back