How does the University of Colorado Sea Level Research Laboratory determine global sea level?

Can you show us ONE SINGLE PHOTO of a land mass "sinking" due to "ocean rise?"

Sure ...
Impact-of-trawling-on-the-seafloor-at-18-m-depth-in-the-Swan-Island-Conservation-Area.png

Underwater what was once the Bering Land Bridge ...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Americans, this is who and what our political class is funding to the tune of tens of trillions of our money...

all over a giant lie that never should have gotten "out of the box."

"satellite and weather balloon data have actually suggested the opposite, that the atmosphere was cooling"

= THEORY REJECTED

Crick, you have overestimated the attention span of our USMB correspondents. You need to give us the Cliff's Notes version.

But after we get the detailed, scientific explanation and conclusions, what "we" want to see is a picture of some fishing pier at high tide 50 years ago, as compared with last week. Maybe try Venice, Italy, or New Orleans.

Without that, nobody is buying any horror story.
Then I'm wasting my time, aren't I.

Makes sense to me ... we measure atmospheric carbon dioxide on the flanks of the world's largest active volcano ... Mauna Loa recently erupted and destroyed the road to the CO2 measuring equipment ... c'mon, measuring sea level from Colorado is tame in comparison ...
You just mentioned that the data are coming from a satellite. So what the fuck does their distance from the ocean matter?

Crick, you have overestimated the attention span of our USMB correspondents. You need to give us the Cliff's Notes version.

But after we get the detailed, scientific explanation and conclusions, what "we" want to see is a picture of some fishing pier at high tide 50 years ago, as compared with last week. Maybe try Venice, Italy, or New Orleans.

Without that, nobody is buying any horror story.

Yeah, for us it's whether our cities are under water or going to be under water or not. If the sea levels rise 100 meters and yet the sea level is at the same place as it was 50 years ago.... then it's not an issue

Yeah, for us it's whether our cities are under water or going to be under water or not. If the sea levels rise 100 meters and yet the sea level is at the same place as it was 50 years ago.... then it's not an issue
I think I know what you were trying to say and I can guarantee you that if sea level rose 100 meters, the coastline would not be in the same place.

I think I know what you were trying to say and I can guarantee you that if sea level rose 100 meters, the coastline would not be in the same place.

Maybe, but the point still stands. You can't go around telling people sea levels are rising when the coastline remains at the same level.

People will just mock science.

Maybe, but the point still stands. You can't go around telling people sea levels are rising when the coastline remains at the same level.

People will just mock science.
The world's oceans are rising. As long as the world gets warmer, they will continue to rise. And even if temperature magically stabilized right where its at right now, Greenland and Antarctica would continue to melt. Do you think that process will never do any harm? When a hurricane approaches the coast, it pushes a surge of water ahead of itself; a surge that will flood coastal regions. If the surge would have been 6 feet before the Industrial Revolution, today, it will be 6 feet 9 inches. That 9 inches could easily flood another few blocks of houses and businesses along the entire front of the surge. Do you consider that to be no harm done?

And it will get higher. And the rate at which it is getting higher is accelerating.

Those of you who claim to need a photograph need to figure out how smart it'd be to wait long enough for that sort of visibility. I'm just wondering what you'd do then. If sea level is up 3 or 4 feet, do you think you're just going to turn it off somewhere?

The world's oceans are rising. As long as the world gets warmer, they will continue to rise. And even if temperature magically stabilized right where its at right now, Greenland and Antarctica would continue to melt. Do you think that process will never do any harm? When a hurricane approaches the coast, it pushes a surge of water ahead of itself; a surge that will flood coastal regions. If the surge would have been 6 feet before the Industrial Revolution, today, it will be 6 feet 9 inches. That 9 inches could easily flood another few blocks of houses and businesses along the entire front of the surge. Do you consider that to be no harm done?

And it will get higher. And the rate at which it is getting higher is accelerating.

Those of you who claim to need a photograph need to figure out how smart it'd be to wait long enough for that sort of visibility. I'm just wondering what you'd do then. If sea level is up 3 or 4 feet, do you think you're just going to turn it off somewhere?

Well, the melting of the Arctic is lowering sea levels. The Antarctic does the opposite.

And yes, if sea levels actually rise and actually take over land, it's a problem. But we're not seeing this.

And if you have sea levels at the same level as they were 50 years ago... and yet people are saying sea levels are rising, this causes problems. Maybe at some point there will be a problem, but then it will probably happen no matter what we do.

Forum List

Back