How Learning Died in America

Every loony idea the Liberal/Progressives have foisted on the American people has been a dismal failure.

Truth....... :doubt:

Oh come on now, you're smarter than the above statement indicates.

Universal education (a progressive idea) has been a dismal failure?

:lol:
Education is a good thing. Indoctrination is not.

Teach kids HOW to think -- not WHAT to think.

Progressive Education did it. It is the reason why American students fail in international competition.

Education writer Sol Stern explains the reason: 'Progressive Education,' the style inappropriately categorized as education, yet the dominant style in government schools.
It is no wonder that America is faring poorly in educating children, but it is a wonder that the public allows it!

1. " ... PS 87, the famous New York City public school my sons attended from 1987 to 1997.... on Manhattan’s Upper West Side. My wife and I were delighted when our older son was admitted to the school. It had just been ranked byParents magazine as one of the country’s ten best elementary schools—public or private—and the New York Times profiled it as one of the few city schools that middle-class parents still clamored to get their kids into. PS 87 had a reputation for adhering to the “progressive education” ...

a. ... instead of sitting in rows facing the teacher, as I did when I attended the New York City public schools, the children in the early grades sat in circles on a rug and often worked together in groups. I was told that this was the “open classroom” reform, introduced in the 1970s.... I soon received a crash course in educational progressivism.

2. ... the school’s teachers were trained at such citadels of progressive education as Columbia University’s Teachers College and the Bank Street College of Education, where they learned to repeat pleasant-sounding slogans like “teach the child, not the text” and were told that all children are “natural learners.”

3. PS 87 had no coherent, grade-by-grade curriculum. Thus, my son’s third-grade teacher decided on his own to devote months of classroom time to a project on Japanese culture, which included building a Japanese garden. Each day, when my son came home from school, I asked him what he had learned in math. Each day, he happily said the same thing: “We are building the Japanese garden.”

4. .... expressed our concern to the teacher about the lack of direct instruction of mathematical procedures, but he reassured us that constructing the Japanese garden required “real-life” math skills and that there was nothing to worry about. But I worried a lot, and even more so when my son moved up to fourth grade.
His new teacher assigned even more “real-life” math problems, including one that asked students to calculate how many Arawaks were killed by Christopher Columbus in 1492 during his conquest of Hispaniola.

5. PS 87’s children were taught almost nothing about such foundational subjects as the American Revolution, the framing of the Constitution, and the Civil War. I can still vividly recall a conversation with my younger son and several of his classmates when they were in the fourth grade. ... asked what, if anything, they knew about the famous Union commander for whom their school was named. They gave me blank stares.

6. More disturbing was what PS 87’s principal said when I informed him of my conversation with my son and his classmates. “It’s important to learn about the Civil War,” he granted, “but it’s more important to learn how to learn about the Civil War. The state of knowledge is constantly changing, so we have to give children the tools to be able to research these things and, of course, to think critically.”

a. [Progressive educrats] had abandoned common sense in favor of progressive education fads, backed by no evidence, which did more harm than good.

[One can see the results daily in the posts of Leftist members: they believe what they have been told to believe whether there is any evidence for said beliefs, or even when evidence to the contrary is provided. Very progressive!]

7. “The unacceptable failure of our schools has occurred not because our teachers are inept but chiefly because they are compelled to teach a fragmented curriculum based on faulty education theories.”
This didn’t happen by chance or because of professional incompetence, according to Hirsch. Rather it was intended, quite deliberately, by the schools of education. It wasn’t that professors of education favored the wrong curriculum, but that they stood for no curriculum at all. Citing romantic theories of child development going back to Rousseau, the progressives argued that, with just a little assistance from teachers, children would figure it out as they went along. That’s because students were capable of “constructing their own knowledge.”
The Redemption of E. D. Hirsch by Sol Stern - City Journal

The icon of Progressive Education is communist John Dewey.....some coincidence, huh?

With the evidence available, and it continues to pile up year after year, concerned citizens cannot believe that the dismal result is accidental.

Progressives are determined to doom this nation.

I taught at PS 87 for a while and found it to be an excellent school. The students were well informed, for the most part intelligent, and were excited about learning. My fellow teachers were very devoted to efucation and not just teaching because it was a job. The atmosphere at the school was very conducive for education, and the students fared well. There were many challenging programs there got teachers. I taught emotionally disturbed children, gifted children, and hearing paired children where a person stood off to the side and signed what I was saying to the children.

I previously had been teaching secondary school at the High School of Music and Art and Performing Arts, and I had a very good reputation. PS 87 heard about me and recruited me. They convinced me to switch to primary school where my talents might be more appreciated.

My memories of the school are beautiful, and stick with me. I often wonder what happened to many of my students, because they were do sharp, and a pleasure to teach. I am sure that many of them went on to do well.

Having that extensive and personal experience with the specific institution highlighted in the OP.....

....would you hazard an analysis of the question at hand?

Which would you favor, the kind of content-rich curriculum championed by E. D. Hirsch....

or the construction of a Japanese garden?

So you don't appreciate diversity of cultures?

The people who celebrate diversity seem to share a universal dislike for one culture: the American one.

By all means, please come to this country and bring the best parts of your culture for all to enjoy. But when you come here, assimilate. Don't make your neighborhood just like your old country, and DON'T insist we hide away our culture because you don't like it.

Wow, that attitude contradicts every aspect of that LIBERTY thing that conservatives love to claim they own.

The people who celebrate diversity seem to share a universal dislike for one culture: the American one.

By all means, please come to this country and bring the best parts of your culture for all to enjoy. But when you come here, assimilate. Don't make your neighborhood just like your old country, and DON'T insist we hide away our culture because you don't like it.

Welcome to America. Please surrender your individuality, because it will conflict with the collective homogeneity that conservatives believe being an American entails.

Last edited:

Welcome to America. Please surrender your individuality, because it will conflict with the collective homogeneity that conservatives believe being an American entails.

People should come here to be Americans not to change what America is..that's the way it used to be, and it worked quite well .

People should come here to be Americans not to change what America is..that's the way it used to be, and it worked quite well .

Liberty should allow a person to decide for themselves what America is to them, as long as they obey the law.

All learning does not occur in school. If you do not take the time to educate your children outside of class then your child will never learn.

but, but that goes against the last repub president's belief!!! Parents should be hard at work making less REAL money than was the case before Raygun.

Quote by George W. Bush: You work three jobs? Uniquely American, isn't ...
“You work three jobs? Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that."

To a divorced mother of three, Omaha, Nebraska, Feb. 4, 2005”

All learning does not occur in school. If you do not take the time to educate your children outside of class then your child will never learn.

but, but that goes against the last repub president's belief!!! Parents should be hard at work making less REAL money than was the case before Raygun.

“You work three jobs? Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that."

"Parents should be hard at work making less REAL money than was the case before Raygun."

I can imagine you making less.....it just means that your employer evaluated your worth.

As for Americans.....

1. Under Reagan, the debt went up $1.7 trillion, from $900 billion to $2.6 trillion.
2. But….the national wealth went up $ 17 trillion
3. Reagan's near-trillion-dollar bulge in defense spending transformed the global balance of power in favor of capitalism. Spurring a stock-market, energy, venture-capital, real-estate and employment boom, the Reagan tax-rate cuts and other pro-enterprise policies added some $17 trillion to America's private-sector assets, dwarfing the trillion-dollar rise in public-sector deficits and creating 45 million net new jobs at rising wages and salaries.

George Gilder: The Real Reagan Lesson for Romney-Ryan - WSJ.com

Reaganomics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, you moron....$17 trillion is actually more than $1.7 trillion.

Know why the phrase "seventeen trillion" is so familiar to all?
Obama put us in that much debt.

Wow....do we need a Ronald Reagan today.

Progressive Education did it. It is the reason why American students fail in international competition.

Education writer Sol Stern explains the reason: 'Progressive Education,' the style inappropriately categorized as education, yet the dominant style in government schools.
It is no wonder that America is faring poorly in educating children, but it is a wonder that the public allows it!

1. " ... PS 87, the famous New York City public school my sons attended from 1987 to 1997.... on Manhattan’s Upper West Side. My wife and I were delighted when our older son was admitted to the school. It had just been ranked byParents magazine as one of the country’s ten best elementary schools—public or private—and the New York Times profiled it as one of the few city schools that middle-class parents still clamored to get their kids into. PS 87 had a reputation for adhering to the “progressive education” ...

a. ... instead of sitting in rows facing the teacher, as I did when I attended the New York City public schools, the children in the early grades sat in circles on a rug and often worked together in groups. I was told that this was the “open classroom” reform, introduced in the 1970s.... I soon received a crash course in educational progressivism.

2. ... the school’s teachers were trained at such citadels of progressive education as Columbia University’s Teachers College and the Bank Street College of Education, where they learned to repeat pleasant-sounding slogans like “teach the child, not the text” and were told that all children are “natural learners.”

3. PS 87 had no coherent, grade-by-grade curriculum. Thus, my son’s third-grade teacher decided on his own to devote months of classroom time to a project on Japanese culture, which included building a Japanese garden. Each day, when my son came home from school, I asked him what he had learned in math. Each day, he happily said the same thing: “We are building the Japanese garden.”

4. .... expressed our concern to the teacher about the lack of direct instruction of mathematical procedures, but he reassured us that constructing the Japanese garden required “real-life” math skills and that there was nothing to worry about. But I worried a lot, and even more so when my son moved up to fourth grade.
His new teacher assigned even more “real-life” math problems, including one that asked students to calculate how many Arawaks were killed by Christopher Columbus in 1492 during his conquest of Hispaniola.

5. PS 87’s children were taught almost nothing about such foundational subjects as the American Revolution, the framing of the Constitution, and the Civil War. I can still vividly recall a conversation with my younger son and several of his classmates when they were in the fourth grade. ... asked what, if anything, they knew about the famous Union commander for whom their school was named. They gave me blank stares.

6. More disturbing was what PS 87’s principal said when I informed him of my conversation with my son and his classmates. “It’s important to learn about the Civil War,” he granted, “but it’s more important to learn how to learn about the Civil War. The state of knowledge is constantly changing, so we have to give children the tools to be able to research these things and, of course, to think critically.”

a. [Progressive educrats] had abandoned common sense in favor of progressive education fads, backed by no evidence, which did more harm than good.

[One can see the results daily in the posts of Leftist members: they believe what they have been told to believe whether there is any evidence for said beliefs, or even when evidence to the contrary is provided. Very progressive!]

7. “The unacceptable failure of our schools has occurred not because our teachers are inept but chiefly because they are compelled to teach a fragmented curriculum based on faulty education theories.”
This didn’t happen by chance or because of professional incompetence, according to Hirsch. Rather it was intended, quite deliberately, by the schools of education. It wasn’t that professors of education favored the wrong curriculum, but that they stood for no curriculum at all. Citing romantic theories of child development going back to Rousseau, the progressives argued that, with just a little assistance from teachers, children would figure it out as they went along. That’s because students were capable of “constructing their own knowledge.”
The Redemption of E. D. Hirsch by Sol Stern - City Journal

The icon of Progressive Education is communist John Dewey.....some coincidence, huh?

With the evidence available, and it continues to pile up year after year, concerned citizens cannot believe that the dismal result is accidental.

Progressives are determined to doom this nation.

I taught at PS 87 for a while and found it to be an excellent school. The students were well informed, for the most part intelligent, and were excited about learning. My fellow teachers were very devoted to efucation and not just teaching because it was a job. The atmosphere at the school was very conducive for education, and the students fared well. There were many challenging programs there got teachers. I taught emotionally disturbed children, gifted children, and hearing paired children where a person stood off to the side and signed what I was saying to the children.

I previously had been teaching secondary school at the High School of Music and Art and Performing Arts, and I had a very good reputation. PS 87 heard about me and recruited me. They convinced me to switch to primary school where my talents might be more appreciated.

My memories of the school are beautiful, and stick with me. I often wonder what happened to many of my students, because they were do sharp, and a pleasure to teach. I am sure that many of them went on to do well.

Having that extensive and personal experience with the specific institution highlighted in the OP.....

....would you hazard an analysis of the question at hand?

Which would you favor, the kind of content-rich curriculum championed by E. D. Hirsch....

or the construction of a Japanese garden?

My first thought when I read your post was "Show me a school where there are no parents critical of the education that their children are receiving".

I never believed that any one classroom model worked for every student, so you had to introduce different ideas. Mix it up, but make it interesting. The major task of a teacher is to teach the children how to learn and make it interesting. Attempt to give them a craving for knowledge, because so much if what a person knows is learned after finishing your education. Probably the two smartest, most knowledgable men that I ever knew had limited education. Hopefully, people are always learning and developing.

Wow, that attitude contradicts every aspect of that LIBERTY thing that conservatives love to claim they own.
Yeah, not really.

If you want to be an American, BE an American. But if you don't want to be an American, don't come here. And if you do, DON'T tell other Americans they have to stop showing they're Americans just because it offends you.

What's so hard to understand?

Welcome to America. Don't expect us to turn our nation into the shithole you just left.

Liberty should allow a person to decide for themselves what America is to them, as long as they obey the law.
Indeed. But they DON'T have the liberty to decide for other people what America is.

LOL. We in America have been changing what we are about every generation. No, the way it used to be did not work all that well. That is why we changed it. Making rivers into open sewers was a terrible idea, so we created laws concerning what you could dump into the rivers. Having air that killed you was a bad idea, so we created air pollution laws.

And now, in the 21st century, when we are not at all an agriarian nation, when most do not use hunting for supplementing their diet, and the vast majority of us live in an urban environment, things are changing again. The conservatives will cry and gnash their teeth over it. I am sure that there were many that thought that indoor plumbing would be the death of us, also.

So, don't stand in the doorway, don't block off the hall. That is the way to get ran right over as the rest of us move on into the future.

Indeed. But they DON'T have the liberty to decide for other people what America is.

The majority has the right to create new forms of social order within the framework of the Constitution. That includes Social Security and a real Healthcare System. Same as we created the Natonal Park System, and the CDC, as well as NASA, NOAA, and the other agencies neccessary to our life.

"Parents should be hard at work making less REAL money than was the case before Raygun."

I can imagine you making less.....it just means that your employer evaluated your worth.

As for Americans.....

1. Under Reagan, the debt went up $1.7 trillion, from $900 billion to $2.6 trillion.
3. Reagan's near-trillion-dollar bulge in defense spending transformed the global balance of power in favor of capitalism. Spurring a stock-market, energy, venture-capital, real-estate and employment boom, the Reagan tax-rate cuts and other pro-enterprise policies added some $17 trillion to America's private-sector assets, dwarfing the trillion-dollar rise in public-sector deficits and creating 45 million net new jobs at rising wages and salaries.

So here we have PC stating that President Obama's real mistake is that he did not triple the National Debt as did President Reagan. That stimulas spending, provided it is large enough, is the way to increase the wealth of the nation. Very Interesting, PC. Glad to see you say it out loud.

As for Americans.....

I know dummy. I was in the military when he was handing over borrowed taxpayer $$$ to defense contractors in an arms build up. Thats a real good investment to base one's economy on- bombs? :cuckoo: How did that work out? I'll tell you- Republicorp is addicted to defense spending to keep their campaign chests topped-off w/ contractor slush $. :clap2:

here, try to learn something:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply-side_economics#Criticisms
The specific set of foolish ideas that has laid claim to the name "supply side economics" is a crank doctrine that would have had little influence if it did not appeal to the prejudices of editors and wealthy men.

GHWB called it "voodoo economics" for a reason ;) :lol:

Last edited:

As for Americans.....

I know dummy. I was in the military when he was handing over borrowed taxpayer $$$ to defense contractors in an arms build up. Thats a real good investment to base one's economy on- bombs? :cuckoo: How did that work out? I'll tell you- Republicorp is addicted to defense spending to keep their campaign chests topped-off w/ contractor slush $. :clap2:

here, try to learn something:
Supply-side economics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The specific set of foolish ideas that has laid claim to the name "supply side economics" is a crank doctrine that would have had little influence if it did not appeal to the prejudices of editors and wealthy men.

GHWB called it "voodoo economics" for a reason ;) :lol:

And now your education continues.

1. "...taxpayer $$$ to defense contractors in an arms build up. Thats a real good investment to base one's economy on- bombs? How did that work out?"

Actually, great!

"Reagan’s legacy affects us dramatically today in two ways. First, Reagan’s anti-Communist foreign policy and his military buildup hastened the disintegration of the Soviet Union. In the past eight years, America’s victory in the Cold War generated a half-trillion-dollar peace dividend. That peace dividend grows every year, and it fell like manna from heaven into President Clinton’s lap. The budget deficit is falling, not primarily because Clinton raised taxes and not primarily because the congressional Republicans committed themselves to a balanced budget, but because the defense budget is nearly $100 billion lower today than when the Berlin Wall came down."
Who Balanced the Budget? | Cato Institute

2. "The specific set of foolish ideas that has laid claim to the name "supply side economics" is a crank doctrine that would have had little influence if it did not appeal to the prejudices of editors and wealthy men."

Excect for one thing.....the truth:

"We call this period, 1982-2007, the twenty-five year boom-the greatest period of wealth creation in the history of the planet. In 1980, the net worth-assets minus liabilities-of all U.S. households and business ... was $25 trillion in today's dollars. By 2007, ... net worth was just shy of $57 trillion. Adjusting for inflation, more wealth was created in America in the twenty-five year boom than in the previous two hundred years."
http://theccpp.org/2011/05/reaganomics-vs-obamanomics-facts-and-figures-1.html

“Between the early 1980s and 2007 we lived in an economic Golden Age. Never before have so many people advanced so far economically in so short a period of time as they have during the last 25 years. Until the credit crisis, 70 million people a year were joining the middle class. The U.S. kicked off this long boom with the economic reforms of Ronald Reagan, particularly his enormous income tax cuts. We burst from the economic stagnation of the 1970s into a dynamic, innovative, high-tech-oriented economy. Even in recent years the much-maligned U.S. did well. Between year-end 2002 and year-end 2007 U.S. growth exceeded the entire size of China's economy.”
How Capitalism Will Save Us - Forbes

Yeah, boyyyyyeeeee!

In your eye!

Cato institute? CATO INSTITUTE?!!! :eusa_wall:

Big surprise that Polichic is a Reagan fluffer. Were you also a college repub & have ayn rand :tinfoil: as recommended (req'd) reading just like Paul Ryan (R) does to this day? :eusa_eh: :eusa_whistle:
Ayn Rand
“”There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
—John Rogers

Ayn Rand was a Russian atheist, the author of vast doorstop-sized tomes like Atlas Shrugged and the ripped-off biography The Fountainhead, and other thick, boring books espousing, essentially, psychotic libertarian themes and ideology.
Ayn Rand - RationalWiki

THAT actually retards one education :rofl: Enough w/ the Raygun fluffing as well or I'll give you more mat'l that will dissolve your rw sand castles in the sky :(

Last edited:
Cato institute? CATO INSTITUTE?!!! :eusa_wall:

Big surprise that Polichic is a Reagan fluffer. Were you also a college repub & have ayn rand :tinfoil: as recommended (req'd) reading just like Paul Ryan (R) does to this day? :eusa_eh: :eusa_whistle:
Ayn Rand
“”There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
—John Rogers

Ayn Rand was a Russian atheist, the author of vast doorstop-sized tomes like Atlas Shrugged and the ripped-off biography The Fountainhead, and other thick, boring books espousing, essentially, psychotic libertarian themes and ideology.
Ayn Rand - RationalWiki

THAT actually retards one education :rofl: Enough w/ the Raygun fluffing as well or I'll give you more mat'l that will dissolve your rw sand castles in the sky :(

"Cato institute? CATO INSTITUTE?!!!"

This is exactly what morons post when they have no way of contesting the truth of a post.

I am right about the Reagan legacy, and also right about your intellectual ability.
You never should have left school in the fifth grade to join that hippie commune......

"“Between the early 1980s and 2007 we lived in an economic Golden Age. Never before have so many people advanced so far economically in so short a period of time as they have during the last 25 years. Until the credit crisis, 70 million people a year were joining the middle class. The U.S. kicked off this long boom with the economic reforms of Ronald Reagan, particularly his enormous income tax cuts. We burst from the economic stagnation of the 1970s into a dynamic, innovative, high-tech-oriented economy. Even in recent years the much-maligned U.S. did well. Between year-end 2002 and year-end 2007 U.S. growth exceeded the entire size of China's economy.”

Interesting info. Thanks. It always interests me what people consider middle class. I consider a person that makes at least $50,000 middle class. Under that, I would consider them trying to reach middle class status. In to days age $50,000 a year plus benefits won't buy you any extras whatsoever but you can afford to at least pay a meager, emphasis, MEAGER mortgage and drive a decent used vehicle. There will be those that disagree but invariably they know before posting they are wrong.

Forum List

Back