How many friends you have In social media you found out they died?

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
I will put this here (and let the mods move it) it's weird I found out a childhood friend of mine died a few months ago and I look back at his post on FB from April, May seeing how happy he was...and little did he know he only had 30~60 days to live and that was all she wrote.

This is like the 4th one for me on my friends list.. we are not talking Parents , aunts , uncles..i am talking peers your own age ...

I don't want no sympathy, but my question is, is social media bad in this situation?

In the old days people die , yea ok that's life , but now you can look back at their posts just before they died and it makes you think and wonder...

I have had that happen, and have had it happen with online friends as well. Heartbreaking either way.

Social media isn't how my friends and I keep in touch and there are no individuals whom I consider friends (or even acquaintances) whereby social media interaction is the limit of our involvement.

(Indeed, the only people with whom I have any recurring social media involvement are the people here, and AFAIC, everyone here is a stranger to me. Being friendly and being friends are just not the same things in my mind.)

Social media isn't how my friends and I keep in touch and there are no individuals whom I consider friends (or even acquaintances) whereby social media interaction is the limit of our involvement.

(Indeed, the only people with whom I have any recurring social media involvement are the people here, and AFAIC, everyone here is a stranger to me. Being friendly and being friends are just not the same things in my mind.)

I do have online friends that I consider as real friends.

It's just that FB and all is relativity new, you get friends request from people long ago you were friends with when young and lost track of at like my age of 52...

Some of my generation just discoverd it and wanted to find out what it's all about.

Like the guy in my OP , he just got a account with FB in January..i thought he was long dead or in prison ....

It is good he got in touch with me ..because we had some great times in Chicago in are youth

Okay....You do. I don't. That is what it is.

That's another thing I have this girl as friends on FB that lives in Idaho, I don't have a clue how we ended up as friends..

I never met her before, for just some reason we became friends and talk all the time.
It was like a Spin of the dice or something

That's another thing I have this girl as friends on FB that lives in Idaho, I don't have a clue how we ended up as friends..

I never met her before, for just some reason we became friends and talk all the time.

Sometimes personalities just click..

Okay....You do. I don't. That is what it is.

Yep, guess so.

You wanna hear bad?
Bad is a kidding type busting chops posting to your ole highschool friend not knowing he died and it sitting on the wall
embarassing in context of what it says after people have to notify the friends of his passing weeks ago. That is bad.

I have/had cyber friends I have chatted/posted alongside of for over 20 years. Most, I never met face to face. One, I met 3 times and we exchange emails often. She knows me better than even my family does.

Some of those I have met in cyber land and considered friends, have died. About 6 so far. I found out either because their spouse contacted me, or I read it on the board I hung out at. One, I found just by browsing with typing their name in google and an obit popped up.

I have/had cyber friends I have chatted/posted alongside of for over 20 years. Most, I never met face to face. One, I met 3 times and we exchange emails often. She knows me better than even my family does.

Some of those I have met in cyber land and considered friends, have died. About 6 so far. I found out either because their spouse contacted me, or I read it on the board I hung out at. One, I found just by browsing with typing their name in google and an obit popped up.

I always thought we should have a legacy collection of posts..so when people die you could scroll back and read what they were thinking...

I can still do that at the board I came from, but I'd rather just let them stay in peace and me move on. Beats stressing over/feeling bad that they are gone.

I always thought we should have a legacy collection of posts..so when people die you could scroll back and read what they were thinking...

Like this?
4/2/2016 at 9:54 AM
hobelim said:
Why is it that every time that I squeeze your head a foul and smelly pus comes out?

4/17/16 5:04 PM
Post by: JakeStarkey:
What a stupid thing to say, but you are Comrade Stupid on this Board. You and I both know why you want the Rule of Man to replace the Rule of Law.

4/17/16 7:47 PM
Post by: JakeStarkey;
;) I own blaylock. You know if you took his brain out and dropped it in a pot and shook it, it would sound like a pea bouncing in a kettle drum.

4/18/16 8:44 AM
Post by: JakeStarkey:
You are the sheep, DF, and your kind will not win with your candidate. Read the links carefully. Come back and apologize for being a doofus.

4/18/16 7:45PM
So.. You hump crosses? Why?

July 22, 2016 at 5:35 PM
JakeStarkey quoted;
Come on, bobby, you promised your keepers you would take your meds if they let you out for the coming weekend!

I will put this here (and let the mods move it) it's weird I found out a childhood friend of mine died a few months ago and I look back at his post on FB from April, May seeing how happy he was...and little did he know he only had 30~60 days to live and that was all she wrote.

This is like the 4th one for me on my friends list.. we are not talking Parents , aunts , uncles..i am talking peers your own age ...

I don't want no sympathy, but my question is, is social media bad in this situation?

In the old days people die , yea ok that's life , but now you can look back at their posts just before they died and it makes you think and wonder...

A little bit of all of us died from having to decipher that mess of a post. Have mercy on the rest of us and get a middle school kid to proofread your shit.

It's just that FB and all is relativity new, you get friends request from people long ago you were friends with when young and lost track of at like my age of 52...

Some of my generation just discoverd it and wanted to find out what it's all about.

Like the guy in my OP , he just got a account with FB in January..i thought he was long dead or in prison ....

It is good he got in touch with me ..because we had some great times in Chicago in are youth

Wow. That's even worse.

Same with my longest term friend, known each other since we were 10, and my sister, a disabled vet. They LOVED facebook, Messenger and other sites. It is like photographs and letters I believe, store the memories, do not obsess over them.

A little bit of all of us died from having to decipher that mess of a post. Have mercy on the rest of us and get a middle school kid to proofread your shit.
He's 120 years old give him a break...

People haven't died from Facebook, just the ones in my family who use Facebook..

Forum List

Back