how much do you tip?

...and I detest the left....to say the least!

Tipping is not a city in China. Tipping is a way to reward people for WORKING. Anyone that works in a position that accepts tips should be tipped.

I tip heavily because I am able to do so. I do not judge those that cannot afford to tip the way I do. I earn enough money from my work to have leftovers after paying for essentials. I voluntarily share this wealth with strangers who are willing to WORK to serve my needs and indulgences after hours.

I especially like to tip heavily at the shoe shows!:eusa_whistle:

It depends on how hot the waitress is and if she will let me demean her by calling her "sugar" --- of course only when my wife isn't around!!

that was just a joke you liberal loons!!!

Well, the system is that we the diners pay the waiters for bringing our food and drinks and stuff. The restaurant doesn't really pay them.

It's a weird system, but it IS the one we have. So if people don't tip, that's sad for the unpaid server.

The servers should be paid. By the employer. You, the public, should not be expected to pay the wages of a stranger.

You are not paying the wages of a stranger. You are paying the wages of a service provider.

When a plumber comes to my house, I pay him. When I move and employ a mover, I pay him. When I want someone to clean my house, I pay a maid. If I want a shoe shine, I pay a shoe shiner (if you can ever find one that is).

Waiters are a little different because the end bill is not discussed up front but generally a tip is considered to be 15% (and is even added at most restaurants if you have a larger party). You are simply paying for the service that is provided.

I prefer this system because there is a service element that is paid for. The waiter has a reason to serve you accordingly and as the waiter is a HUGE portion of the experience of a dinner night, that is important. Let’s face it, most of us can make a BETTER meal at home but then I would have to do the leg work. We go out to be serviced. I can tell you that I received far better service here in the states than I generally received in most other nations. Some of this might be due to being a foreigner but I also think that much of this has to do with the way that we view the service and tipping is a big part of that.

Anyway:
0 percent for really crappy service
10 percent for bad service or for buffet
15 percent for standard (basically, brought my food and that’s it)
30 percent for good service and more for truly exceptional service.

I will say that a good waiter will make more than they would if the employer paid a better wage. Even at a pretty crappy restaurant a decent waiter can turn a hundred in tips without much problem. The more expensive the faster that raises. Considering that this is a no skill trade (basically you can start with no trade skill or education) that is pretty damn good pay. Tough job though, dealing with customers is almost always is a tough job.

guess their had to be a topic on here before like this....just ate a single diiner the bill was $22.50 gave her $40 bucks and told her to keep the change... I am a 48 year old single guy now. thats just me... how much do you tip? and do you lean left or right? just curious......

Almost always tip 20% unless the bill is really small. If the bill is $10 or less, I'll usually tip $3 or $4. If I receive really poor service, I'll still tip 10% and I'll let them know why the tip was so small. If the service is horrendous, I'm getting a free meal, lol.

As far as how I lean, I lean slightly left.

Good thread.

I tip 20 to 30%....I thought I was unusually generous, but apparently not!! [:)

I think it's good to be a good tipper if one has regular restaurants, because they really depend on regulars and always remember the customer. I guess they remember the poor tipper too, but maybe not so fondly.

I read once that women are bad tippers, so after that I always tipped well.

I don't think you will get an honest answer out of anyone here who is a cheapskate and only tips 10%, but I'm sure there are a few here. I go rounds with my gf over tipping because she is very cheap. She says frugal, but she's cheap, lol. I guess that's how she ended up being a millionaire working a job cleaning toilets.

guess their had to be a topic on here before like this....just ate a single diiner the bill was $22.50 gave her $40 bucks and told her to keep the change... I am a 48 year old single guy now. thats just me... how much do you tip? and do you lean left or right? just curious......

Nothing - and you wouldn't have to tip if only the employer would pay decent wages.

Where are you from? Australia? Can't remember, but I'm assuming it is one of the countries where tipping is not expected or rarely expected. I know most of Europe is the same where wait staff is paid a reasonable wage and tipping is not expected. Here in the US though, people are expected and should tip, and that includes tipping pizza delivery drivers, taxi drivers, bellhops, maid service at the hotel you stay at, and so forth. If you ever visit the US, please tip these people because that is how they make their living and most work pretty hard.

My son is in restaraunt service - he says just double the tax --- that is about 20% --- maybe 22%

I double the tax and round up.

Why not? If the employer paid more, the employees wouldn't have to rely on tips, and they would be able to work 8 hours a day instead of 12 hours plus, and be able to afford to pay the bills.

You can make a wage, but it will be below the minimum wage. People who work on only tips generally make more in a day than people who generally earn a minimum wage, which is an average of $23,000 a year.

If an employer paid the employee at least $15 an hour, instead of $5, and they worked a 12 hour shift, that's $180 in one day. Five days a week, 12 hours a day and you have earnings of $900 in one week. Over 52 weeks, that works out to be $46,800.

I think the employer needs to pay more, myself.

In the end, what is the difference? Wait staff usually make out pretty well, at least if they work in a busy restaurant.

I agree. And there is no expectation or demand on the customers to bring extra change with them to hand over to the server.

Then what incentives do waitresses and waiters have to provide good consumer services if their wages are guaranteed regardless of their performance?

Well that is an easy one to answer. The provide good service because they want to keep their job just like any other job.

FAB topic! :clap2:

And before I read the thread, I'll answer : 15% + / - $1

depending upon how many times the server visits the table,
and whether s/he remembers to bring/do the personal "extras,"
like dressing on the side.

Speaking as a former waitress, your tip was too much,
and bespeaks a lonely man.

It will get better. the voice of experience :cool:

Higher wages, as you do and Europe does.

I agree. And there is no expectation or demand on the customers to bring extra change with them to hand over to the server.

If restaurant owners paid $15 per hour instead of customers giving tips, then the prices would increase dramatically.

...and service would suck!!!

That is why our system works well. Ever go overseas where they figure tips in automatically? You can't even get your water glass refilled...

Staff knows they are getting their money either way!

I haven't worked for tips since I was a young teen, bussing tables at the country club.

But I know several people who do work for $2.75/hour plus tips. On a good night they bring in anywhere from $50 to $70 in tips. But they work in a good Steak house. Unfortunately the place is only open about 8 months out of the year.

I also know one young lady that brings in at least $60k a year in tips.

20% minimum. Sometimes as high as 50%.

I'll tip an incompetent but friendly waiter a lot higher than a competent but unfriendly one, because I remember what it was like when I started waiting tables.

That depends on where I'm eating and the quality of service. For average service at a typical restaurant I'm usually at 18%. If it's subpar though, I have no issues dropping the tip. If it's exceptional service I'd go around 30%. Otherwise somewhere in between. I like when they are on top of their game and pay attention to the little things (IE: Up on the refills). That really does it for me :).

One thing I won't do that bothers me about some folks is punishing the waitress/waiter if the kitchen staff messed up....

Libertarian

Last edited:

If restaurant owners paid $15 per hour instead of customers giving tips, then the prices would increase dramatically.

That is why our system works well. Ever go overseas where they figure tips in automatically? You can't even get your water glass refilled...

I've received good service in Europe.

Depends on the service. A friendly person who is energetic and willing to go the extra mile gets 20%.

The, "here you go" and walks away gets nothing.

Tipping has got to be one of the most annoying 'traditions' of all time. Increase the prices for food at restaurants, pay the servers a decent wage, and charge the customer what is on the damn bill only. Eliminate the whole stupid song and dance.

I've received good service in Europe.

Yea, me too.

There is no tradition of tipping in Japan, and you will NOT get better service anywhere.

Forum List

Back