how much do you tip?

I do not tip. I only eat out if I am on a date and I allow my dinner partner to take care of that. If I like the company I pay for the meal. If I do not like the company, I set my phone ring tone to go off when the bill comes and make believe I have an important call, take the "call" and make my apologies that I have to run and let the person I was having dinner with pay the whole enchilada. If the meal was good I snatch a menu on my way out and return to the restaurant with another dinner partner at a later date...:)

Connery, you are joking, right? How could you return to the same restaurant if you were not a good tipper? Wouldn't you expect them to give you terrible service? The waiters and waitresses would surely remember you, right?

I do not tip. I only eat out if I am on a date and I allow my dinner partner to take care of that. If I like the company I pay for the meal. If I do not like the company, I set my phone ring tone to go off when the bill comes and make believe I have an important call, take the "call" and make my apologies that I have to run and let the person I was having dinner with pay the whole enchilada. If the meal was good I snatch a menu on my way out and return to the restaurant with another dinner partner at a later date...:)

What a massive asshole!:cuckoo:

I tip around 20%, partly to make up for all the assholes around me (I've been a waiter).

Last edited:
Are waiters paid in Australia as they are in Europe? The tip is included in the bill in Europe.

Our waiters don't get tips because the employer pays them a decent wage. Work in a restaurant and earn around $20 an hour. Work a five hour shift, $100. Do that for five days and you have $500 - you can pay rent and bills with that in some places.

My friend would have taken almost a 50% PAY CUT working for that much!

I've known waiters who made over $2000.00 a week in tips. One bought a mercedes with tips he saved. When he told me about it I was delighted for him. He worked in a vacation area beach side restaurant that was probably my favorite restaurant of all time.

It was very low key Frank Sinatra - style atmosphere - I used to go down there 2 or 3 times a year just for the restaurant. They had a breakfast place on other side and would make your coffee for you at the table & your orange juice as well. I loved the atmosphere - very laid back and quiet - deserted beaches. My kind of place. Then they closed down! :(

ahh so your a stealer? nice to know the standards of mods on this board....

and so proud of your short comings to boot

What a massive asshole!:cuckoo:

I tip around 20%, partly to make up for all the assholes around me (I've been a waiter).

I think he was joking. It was meant to be funny. - J.

i tip according to service.....i will never leave less than 10 % cause then you are taking money out of the wait persons pocket....i have tipped 50 to 60 % on special occasions when we are out having a good time and the wait person rolled with it...i tip a 100% at the local pool hall...food is not expensive and the girls pay attention.....great service with the blue plate specials...

i am an 'iced water, no lemon' person.....you get a better tip when i dont get that damn lemon

I generally tip 20% as a standard but I have no problem tipping upwards of 30% if we had a great experience.

i tip according to service.....i will never leave less than 10 % cause then you are taking money out of the wait persons pocket....i have tipped 50 to 60 % on special occasions when we are out having a good time and the wait person rolled with it...i tip a 100% at the local pool hall...food is not expensive and the girls pay attention.....great service with the blue plate specials...

i am an 'iced water, no lemon' person.....you get a better tip when i dont get that damn lemon

Lemon with your water will cut your chance for cancer substantially. You should have lemon every single day. Thank the Israelis for that bit of research. :eusa_angel:

Connery, you are joking, right? How could you return to the same restaurant if you were not a good tipper? Wouldn't you expect them to give you terrible service? The waiters and waitresses would surely remember you, right?

Of course I am joking.....:tongue:

I tip generously and if the service is terrible, which is a rare occurrence, I tip modestly, as the person may just be having an off day. I do not eat out much at all, when i do it is because I am exhausted and I usually go to the same place.

Of course I am joking.....:tongue:

I tip generously and if the service is terrible, which is a rare occurrence, I tip modestly, as the person may just be having an off day. I do not eat out much at all, when i do it is because I am exhausted and I usually go to the same place.

ha! ha! I knew it. It took me a minute in my first response as I had not had my coffee yet and I wasn't quite awake. I did say in later post you had to be joking. :eusa_angel:

- Jeri

Lemon with your water will cut your chance for cancer substantially. You should have lemon every single day. Thank the Israelis for that bit of research. :eusa_angel:

sliced lemons are handled by everyone....its like asking for a slice of germs ..no thanks....

I tip based on the type of restaurant. The cheaper the restaurant (i.e. a breakfast place), the higher the %. Breakfast is usually 25-30%. Dinner 20-25% (the latter for extraordinary service). If the service is subpar, I'll drop down to 15%.

I tip based on the type of restaurant. The cheaper the restaurant (i.e. a breakfast place), the higher the %. Breakfast is usually 25-30%. Dinner 20-25% (the latter for extraordinary service). If the service is subpar, I'll drop down to 15%.

Yes, thanks for that post because that's what I do but I didn't know how to say it. I guess I figure the waitstaff deserves a certain respectable amount no matter what the meal costs, so I increase the percentage if the meal is cheap.

Yes, thanks for that post because that's what I do but I didn't know how to say it. I guess I figure the waitstaff deserves a certain respectable amount no matter what the meal costs, so I increase the percentage if the meal is cheap.

That's my rational. In some restaurants, the tips are shared with the bus boys, who work their tails off. I don't want to stiff them just because the waiter isn't that good.

Forum List

Back