Would you dare drive this 1957 Chevrolet?

i had a chevy '57 bonneville. they do not make them like that anymore.
So true. I did not own one of those but I had a washing cars site provided by a station owner where my costs were just water. The guy liked me and I got away cheap. I had customers with Pontiacs and really liked those cars.

So true. I did not own one of those but I had a washing cars site provided by a station owner where my costs were just water. The guy liked me and I got away cheap. I had customers with Pontiacs and really liked those cars.
My stepfather had a Pontiac Molotov.

You know, a cloth rag for a gas cap. :lol:

100 miles per hour? 150 miles per hour? All in 1/4 mile. Well then how about 206 mph in 1/4 mile.

Think Chevrolet dreamed their car would travel so fast in such a short time? This car and driver are world famous.

I owned and drove a '65 F/S Ford at the strip back in the mid to late 1960's but 200 mph? Not even close.
1965 Ford Galaxy XL 390 6.jpg1965 Ford Galaxy XL 390 7.JPG1965 Ford Galaxy XL 390 8.JPG

Yeah, Europeans drove tiny cars for two reasons.

First, petrol is expensive as hell there.

Second, the roads were really narrow.

It's gotten better, road-wise, in some places now.
In Germany I bought 1 of those small Mercedes and also a Studebaker Golden Hawk with a powerful engine. My Army pay was not high enough but I loaned troops money and had plenty of customers. The interest allowed me to travel all around Germany. The Army would only give me a card to get 50?? gallons of Ethyl and more Regular at a super low price. Even then fuel costs at German stations was very high. I think regular at the time cost me about .10 cents a gallon and Premium was around double that with no taxes included. Cheap at Army on post stations.

Last edited:
I had a 63 Chevy PO at one time. It had a hydraulic lift gate on the back which was very useful at my machine shop. It was the 3/4 ton model with the 6 cylinder engine. I never tried to drive it as fast as you drove yours. I changed from owning the machine shop to getting licensed to sell Real Estate and my wife's car was the Chevy Corvair and not good to carry customers, so I traded in my PU for a late model Ford luxury model and it was fine for selling Real estate in. It was this car only painted gold color.
1963-ford-galaxie-500
My first car was a 63 galaxy 4 door. Paid $200 for it. I didn't realize how cool it was back then, but I loved that car.

I miss those old land yachts. But they required constant repairs and had terrible gas mileage.

They were easy to work on, though. Nowadays, you have to take half the car apart to get to the starter.
I have a Caddy that to change the starter you have to remove the intake manifold since inside that is where the starter is. It has fuel injection as well.

Here is the starter motor in the STS that I have.
starter-knock-sensor-jpg.588702

Last edited:
My first car was a 63 galaxy 4 door. Paid $200 for it. I didn't realize how cool it was back then, but I loved that car.
Those cars were very comfortable to be in. Gas back then was cheap so the economy was no problem at all. I forget the mpg it got.

I built a '64 Falcon 427 cross-bolt street gasser but I never got it street worthy and had to sell it before it was ready.

Attachments

• 1964 Falcon 8b.jpg
    1964 Falcon 8b.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1964 Falcon 3.JPG
    1964 Falcon 3.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1964 Falcon 9.JPG
    1964 Falcon 9.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 0
i had a chevy '57 bonneville. they do not make them like that anymore.
It must be Canadian. The "Bonneville" was Pontiac in the States. American and Canadian GM models were often switched around. Also Ford where some models were called Mercury in Canada.

I built a '64 Falcon 427 cross-bolt street gasser but I never got it street worthy and had to sell it before it was ready.
This makes me recall some of those guys with those who really were fast at that time.
I had a speed shop in 1961 and sold engines to customers. I sold new engines to them. One of them used his 409 Chevy in his boat and it was in the Oakland, Ca roadster show. I have not been to a car show since before 1962.

I wasn't a professional racer so it wasn't so expensive. Fords? Yeah! The pro Thunderbolts were beating the crap out of everyone back then.
Where I lived at the time, The dragstrips I raced at were the Fremont, Dragstrip, the Half Moon Bay track, the Vacaville, Strip and the Stockton strip which was converted from a former Army runway.

Would you dare drive this 1957 Chevrolet?​

Sure, why not? In my day I used to drive a (not) barely street legal version of a car like that as my everyday ride to work and everywhere.

Had a manual choke on the dash to get it started.

Used to have a neighbor come out and bitch the engine work his baby idling in the driveway.

Had to coast it in idle if a cop was within sight to keep the noise down.

Car shifted sideways when I up-shifted between gears.

Used to pour Moroso Octane Booster in the tank to up the octane when I got home to shut then engine off because it would still keep running even with the key turned off and the car in Drive due to the dieseling from the high compression.

Built the cars myself.

P8233058-1.jpg
P8233059.JPG

My hero! So, if you had a shop in 1961 you remember the Ford 352, 406, and 427 plus the Chevy W-block 348 and 409.
My shop was short lived thanks to being drafted into the Army in February 1962. After that I got home in 1964 upon being discharged and got married and did not race again. I have a daughter that raced Motocross for a few years so I was busy with her racing her motorcycles.

Where I lived at the time, The dragstrips I raced at were the Fremont, Dragstrip, the Half Moon Bay track, the Vacaville, Strip and the Stockton strip which was converted from a former Army runway.
When I returned from Vietnam I still had a year plus left on active duty and I was stationed in Albuquerque and the photos I attached of my Ford at the strip are from there.

Sure, why not? In my day I used to drive a (not) barely street legal version of a car like that as my everyday ride to work and everywhere.

Had a manual choke on the dash to get it started.

Used to have a neighbor come out and bitch the engine work his baby idling in the driveway.

Had to coast it in idle if a cop was within sight to keep the noise down.

Car shifted sideways when I up-shifted between gears.

Used to pour Moroso Octane Booster in the tank to up the octane when I got home to shut then engine off because it would still keep running even with the key turned off and the car in Drive due to the dieseling from the high compression.

Built the cars myself.

View attachment 982627View attachment 982628
I recall Mickey Thompson before he got murdered at his home. I noticed your valve covers are his product.

My shop was short lived thanks to being drafted into the Army in February 1962. After that I got home in 1964 upon being discharged and got married and did not race again. I have a daughter that raced Motocross for a few years so I was busy with her racing her motorcycles.
When I got discharged from the Army and eventually left the states I never drag raced again but I did build some mild customs.

Forum List

Back