How ‘Owning the Libs’ Became the GOP’s Core Belief...

In 1952, the political mainstream was inflamed by the boorishness and recklessness of another conservative demagogue: Wisconsin’s Sen. Joseph McCarthy, then at the height of his infamous communist “witch hunt” within the federal government. McCarthy would eventually overreach to the extent that he was overwhelmingly censured by the Senate, including roughly half of its members from his own party.

One prominent conservative willing to defend McCarthy, much to the chagrin of nearly everybody to the left of the John Birch Society, was Irving Kristol. The godfather of neoconservatism wrote contemporaneously in Commentary that “there is one thing that the American people know about Senator McCarthy: He, like them, is unequivocally anti-Communist. About the spokesman for American liberalism, they feel they know no such thing.”

To Kristol, the certainty McCarthy signaled was worth commending, despite his argument’s lack of substance or his corrosive rhetorical style. McCarthy was a staunch anti-communist, but that was almost secondary to how thoroughly he infuriated his opponents, leaving no question as to where he stood. And given the incentives presented by social media toward ever more extreme political positions, it’s no wonder such stark, if reductive, contrasts are even more appealing today, to the extent that a spiritual heir of McCarthy’s could even win the White House.

Interesting take on how someone like Donald Trump could win the Presidency. The politics of division have been going on for years.

Why run a platform when painting the opposition as the enemy has become an effective tool for winning elections. In a corporate duopoly there are only two options.

The GOP is going to win again. Its a “when” not an “if”
McCarthy was wise and smart enough to see what 2021 would like. Executing Hollywood commies should have been a priority

Hollywood is the last place on earth you will find communism. The town is a tribute to capitalism and is one of the most conservative things in modern life. You are confusing communism with a few artistic people showing concern for the plight of the planet and its citizens.

Because you are damaged goods you just label it "communism" when in fact it is just normal behaviour. Its another sign that the world has moved on and left you and your arse scratching mates behind in the C20th. Get some help.
Thanks for pointing out the hypocrisy of Hollywood. A place where nearly everyone espouses anti capitalistic and liberal views, yet all of them became rich off of a capitalistic system, and made their money portraying things they hate, and will tell you are wrong.
There you go again. Liberal views are just common decency. Held by most people across the world who dont live in your narrow partisan hate bubble.

Give me an example of these liberal views in relation to Hollywood.
No hate bubble. You want an example of what specifically? Most Hollywood types are liberal, they believe in and practice liberal policy. What examples are you looking for.

For the record, Republicans have common decency as well, the difference is how they believe society should be.

For example, liberals believe that if you have money, they should be able to take it from you, and give it to someone else. How is that "decent"? Sure, for the person receiving that money, its great, for the person who had to earn that money, or make sacrifices and take risks to make that money, not so great.

Its noble that you on the left want to help the poor, I think we should all do that, but nobody should be forced into helping the poor. Oddly, all those liberals who talk about how we need to help the poor...you don't see them reaching into their own pockets, you see them trying to make government take it from someone else.

Honestly, there is no difference between the left and the right, other than the path to solving issues. Left wing media will make you believe that all right wingers are thes monstrous hate filled, evil people who want to do harm to everyone else. Nothing could be further from the truth. Its just spin and lies from those left wing talking heads. Both sides have compassion, both sides have common decency.

The right says "just leave us alone and do what the constitution says", the left says "do what we want or were going to punish you with our cancel culture, or our labels that we will put on you to make you look bad and try to silence you."

The left is capable of, and frequently does display and enact as much or more hate than the right. For a group that claims to be about diversity, inclusion, tolerance, you only desire those things if it fits in your bubble, anyone else needs to be ostracized from society and shut out.

Your desire to force others to your way of thinking is, probably, the ultimate show of hate.
A list of films that illustrate this would help. I think yo will struggle. I cant think of a single movie that supports abortion, or gun control or any that promote an anti american view of the world..
I thnk that this demon is in your head.
I wasn't talking about movies that support gun control, or abortions, etc. I was talking about actors who support liberal policies, such as gun control, but then star in movies where violence, and gun play are glorified. If these actors really want to tell us that these things are wrong, then they need to refuse to use those items in their movies.

At least the higher end stars who have the weight to have some control. Lower level actors can't be held responsible for content.

In 1952, the political mainstream was inflamed by the boorishness and recklessness of another conservative demagogue: Wisconsin’s Sen. Joseph McCarthy, then at the height of his infamous communist “witch hunt” within the federal government. McCarthy would eventually overreach to the extent that he was overwhelmingly censured by the Senate, including roughly half of its members from his own party.

One prominent conservative willing to defend McCarthy, much to the chagrin of nearly everybody to the left of the John Birch Society, was Irving Kristol. The godfather of neoconservatism wrote contemporaneously in Commentary that “there is one thing that the American people know about Senator McCarthy: He, like them, is unequivocally anti-Communist. About the spokesman for American liberalism, they feel they know no such thing.”

To Kristol, the certainty McCarthy signaled was worth commending, despite his argument’s lack of substance or his corrosive rhetorical style. McCarthy was a staunch anti-communist, but that was almost secondary to how thoroughly he infuriated his opponents, leaving no question as to where he stood. And given the incentives presented by social media toward ever more extreme political positions, it’s no wonder such stark, if reductive, contrasts are even more appealing today, to the extent that a spiritual heir of McCarthy’s could even win the White House.

Interesting take on how someone like Donald Trump could win the Presidency. The politics of division have been going on for years.

Why run a platform when painting the opposition as the enemy has become an effective tool for winning elections. In a corporate duopoly there are only two options.

McCarthy was wise and smart enough to see what 2021 would like. Executing Hollywood commies should have been a priority

Hollywood is the last place on earth you will find communism. The town is a tribute to capitalism and is one of the most conservative things in modern life. You are confusing communism with a few artistic people showing concern for the plight of the planet and its citizens.

Because you are damaged goods you just label it "communism" when in fact it is just normal behaviour. Its another sign that the world has moved on and left you and your arse scratching mates behind in the C20th. Get some help.
Thanks for pointing out the hypocrisy of Hollywood. A place where nearly everyone espouses anti capitalistic and liberal views, yet all of them became rich off of a capitalistic system, and made their money portraying things they hate, and will tell you are wrong.
There you go again. Liberal views are just common decency. Held by most people across the world who dont live in your narrow partisan hate bubble.

No hate bubble. You want an example of what specifically? Most Hollywood types are liberal, they believe in and practice liberal policy. What examples are you looking for.

For the record, Republicans have common decency as well, the difference is how they believe society should be.

For example, liberals believe that if you have money, they should be able to take it from you, and give it to someone else. How is that "decent"? Sure, for the person receiving that money, its great, for the person who had to earn that money, or make sacrifices and take risks to make that money, not so great.

Its noble that you on the left want to help the poor, I think we should all do that, but nobody should be forced into helping the poor. Oddly, all those liberals who talk about how we need to help the poor...you don't see them reaching into their own pockets, you see them trying to make government take it from someone else.

Honestly, there is no difference between the left and the right, other than the path to solving issues. Left wing media will make you believe that all right wingers are thes monstrous hate filled, evil people who want to do harm to everyone else. Nothing could be further from the truth. Its just spin and lies from those left wing talking heads. Both sides have compassion, both sides have common decency.

The right says "just leave us alone and do what the constitution says", the left says "do what we want or were going to punish you with our cancel culture, or our labels that we will put on you to make you look bad and try to silence you."

The left is capable of, and frequently does display and enact as much or more hate than the right. For a group that claims to be about diversity, inclusion, tolerance, you only desire those things if it fits in your bubble, anyone else needs to be ostracized from society and shut out.

Your desire to force others to your way of thinking is, probably, the ultimate show of hate.

Serious question. I've heard so much about the so called cancel culture, but I'm still not sure what it is supposed to be. If I dislike what a public figure says, and I mention that, am I part of the cancel culture? What about not buying a product I don't want? Is that CC? It honestly looks like you found a new phrase to describe those that don't agree with you. Please explain what you mean by the term, and please be specific.
You know exactly what it is, I don't understand why you are asking.

Sure, you have the right to conduct your business as you wish.

The left doesn't see it as cancel culture because It doesn't generally happen to them.

Cancel culture is when someone is fires, removed, or boycotted from something because they have said or done something that the left considers to be hateful or harmful. The issue is, what that person may have done may not have been hateful at all, but the left deems it to be, and thus action has to be taken.

Goya foods. There's an example. Liberals did a boycott on them because they had good things to say about trump.

The bachelor host who was railed, not because he defended her, but because he simply suggested she be allowed to tell her side of things.
You mean like the Dixie Chicks, or keurig coffee machines, or that shoe company with all those videos of people burning their shoes and vowing to never buy their shoes again, or Kaepernick, and the whole "boycott the NFL" thing, or all the outrage and whining about not using Twitter or facebook any more? Wasn't all of that just about the right pitching tantrums over what was said? That's just the ones I can think of off hand, but there have been many, many more. Of course, all those things were just fine by you if their opinions weren't exactly the same as yours. Quit being a whiny hypocrite, you big baby.
Nope, all those things were wrong. Cancel culture at ANY level is bogus. Any group rising up to put pressure on another group to force them to bend to their will is wrong.

Now, if people, organically decide to vote with their wallet, is one thing, but all this "let's attack this company, or pressure this company to fire someone we don't like", I don't agree with that.

Its akin to political strong arming.

And for the record, I like the Dixie chick's, I like their music, and Natalie maines...before her haircut, was a very attractive woman...she still is, but pre hair butch, was better. Dont care for her politics, but I like their music.

Same with disney. I don't like that they fired carano, but I like their product, so I'm still a subscriber.

A list of films that illustrate this would help. I think yo will struggle. I cant think of a single movie that supports abortion, or gun control or any that promote an anti american view of the world..
I thnk that this demon is in your head.
I wasn't talking about movies that support gun control, or abortions, etc. I was talking about actors who support liberal policies, such as gun control, but then star in movies where violence, and gun play are glorified. If these actors really want to tell us that these things are wrong, then they need to refuse to use those items in their movies.

At least the higher end stars who have the weight to have some control. Lower level actors can't be held responsible for content.
Not true,, if they are pro gun control, they can refuse to accept roles that glorify gun play.

Wow you are the exact opposite of reality in anything you say...do you walk and drive backwards?
Go back to scratching your fat arse. Another right wing clown who hurls insults when he cant prove his point. Pathetic.
That was hurling an insult?????.Lol......................Would you like to see a real one?
Why dont you try responding in an adult fashion. We can take it from there.
Tommy. C'mon. I come here to bust balls and laugh. Certainly you don't think it is for the brain stimulating conversations huh?
That's what all the right wing trolls say.

Except that Trump had a very meaty platform, and ran an issue heavy campaign and made what appeared to be a good faith effort to live up to most of it, especially considering the handicap of hysterical and illegal "RESIST" from the dems and the Deep State and then of course COVID.

SO, other than the fact that everything you said was wrong, good op.

No he did not. He ran on nothing but resentment and hAte. His campaign was reminiscent of Hitler's campaign when he was elected. Hatred of minorities and the supremacy of whites.

Says the guy that supported a looney whose only objective is to undo anything Trump....go figure.
Not exactly. It was Trump who tried to cancel out everything done under Obama. Biden is just putting it back the way it was.

OMG the trump person you replied to cheered trump on as trump reversed or undid what Obama did. If Obama did, trump went out to undo it.

The trump people were ecstatic and cheered trump on. They were proud of it and wanted everything that Obama did to be undone by trump.

Now that Biden is reversing the horrible things trump did the same trump supporters are now whining about it. LOL.

They were warned in the trump years that the next democratic president would undo what trump did but they refused to see a time when trump wasn't president anymore. Which is weird because a president can only serve for 2 terms.

I do enjoy watching them whine and cry. It couldn't happen to more deserving jerks.

Wow you are the exact opposite of reality in anything you say...do you walk and drive backwards?
Go back to scratching your fat arse. Another right wing clown who hurls insults when he cant prove his point. Pathetic.
That was hurling an insult?????.Lol......................Would you like to see a real one?

The person you asked to try to respond in an adult fashion believes that Barak Obama is a muslim from Kenya and Michelle is a man.

Seriously, do you actually believe that poster is capable of anything close to anything in an adult fashion?

If so.

Good luck with that.

From the link:

To supercharge those distractions, however, was the great innovation of Donald Trump’s presidency: He used the highest platform in the land to play shock jock 24/7, trading the radio booth for his Twitter account — thrilling his supporters by dismaying his foes. And despite Trump’s defeat in the 2020 presidential election — and the Republican Party’s loss of control of the House and Senate under Trump’s leadership — the GOP has largely chosen to take his strategy and run with it, betting on a hard-charging, antagonistic rhetorical approach to deliver it back into power in Washington.

That’s led to predictable tensions, as the party’s diminishing cadre of wonky reformists lament a form of politics that seems more focused on racking up retweets and YouTube views than achieving policy goals. Even so, Trump-inspired stunt work is, for the moment, the Republican Party’s go-to political tool. “Owning the libs” is no longer the domain of its rowdy, ragged edges, it’s the party line, with the insufficiently combative seen as inherently suspect and outside the 45th president’s trusted circle of “fighters.”

The person you asked to try to respond in an adult fashion believes that Barak Obama is a muslim from Kenya and Michelle is a man.

Seriously, do you actually believe that poster is capable of anything close to anything in an adult fashion?

If so.

Good luck with that.
You have a crush on me....blushes....blushes...................Sound just like the 5th grade girls I plowed yrs later.

Except that Trump had a very meaty platform, and ran an issue heavy campaign and made what appeared to be a good faith effort to live up to most of it, especially considering the handicap of hysterical and illegal "RESIST" from the dems and the Deep State and then of course COVID.

SO, other than the fact that everything you said was wrong, good op.

No he did not. He ran on nothing but resentment and hAte. His campaign was reminiscent of Hitler's campaign when he was elected. Hatred of minorities and the supremacy of whites.

Says the guy that supported a looney whose only objective is to undo anything Trump....go figure.
Not exactly. It was Trump who tried to cancel out everything done under Obama. Biden is just putting it back the way it was.

Trump had real issues on his own. ONly a lying whore would claim otherwise.
I said nothing about that, freak.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Why not help the poor? I don't mind my tax dollars going to programmes to help the poor. What do you mean liberals don't reach into their own pockets? How the hell would you know that?
You constitution once had slavery and prohibition on the books. Now they are gone. It is not a holy document.

I think the pendulum has swung too much too the left, but think it will right itself eventually.

So Hollywood doesn't like money? All those actors and actresses put all their earnings into a kitty and share it out evenly on Friday afternoons? Who knew!

You don't have a fucking clue.

LOL, so now the right is using words incorrectly...communist, socialist, or whatever has become a catch all for calling liberals, specifically Hollywood liberals, hypocrites wanting to impose a lifestyle on others that they don't have to follow.

Er, no. As explained earlier in the thread, communism is an economic system. Nobody on Hollywood follows that system. No calling them liberal, is probably closer to the truth. Imposing lifestyles on others? You mean like, no abortions? Not allowing women or dem darn nigras the right to vote? All conservative platforms at one time or another.

Why not help the poor? I don't mind my tax dollars going to programmes to help the poor. What do you mean liberals don't reach into their own pockets? How the hell would you know that?
You constitution once had slavery and prohibition on the books. Now they are gone. It is not a holy document.

I think the pendulum has swung too much too the left, but think it will right itself eventually.

How about this, you want to help the poor? Let's do it like this, the government gives you an option that they will take 15% less from you in taxes, as long as you donate that money to a charity of your choice (and yes, it would have to be a legitimate charity). You want to help the poor, that would be a way to do it. To keep asking for more and more in the way of taxation is not the way to do it. At some point, you can only take so much of peoples money.

Here's one that I didn't even think of, but got while watching a YouTube video, and this one was talked about by Bill Maher.

The grammys...the music industry, another group dominated by liberals...and yet again, show their hypocrisy.

For a group that talks about equality and equity, yet every year they hold an award show to give awards to people who's music was better than others. Same with the Oscar's.

That's not equality.

It's such a brilliant argument. Carroll O'Connor, being a leftist Hollywood actor, apparently should have refused to play Archie Bunker. Clint Eastwood, despite being all over the map politically, currently a Libertarian, always favored gun control.

ClintEastwoodReagan.jpg

Reagan himself played both sides like a true politician, but being shot likely had a lasting impact.
During a screening of his 1992 film Unforgiven at the Cannes Film Festival on May 21, 2017, as part of the film's 25th anniversary, Eastwood decried what he saw as political correctness within society. Recalling the release of Dirty Harry, Eastwood commented, "A lot of people thought [Dirty Harry] was politically incorrect. That was at the beginning of the era that we’re in now with political correctness. We are killing ourselves, we’ve lost our sense of humor. But I thought it was interesting and it was daring."
Yup, to understand "cancel culture" one need look no further than Hollywood :rolleyes:

It's a shame that for most citizens, the Left Wing loons believe their platform is taking other people's money.

Forum List

Back