How the VA Looks Out For Vets

I was a member of the 101st in Viet Nam but I got hit and got discharged. That said, I was once at the office of a business friend of mine when he turned away a paratrooper who had applied for employment with his firm. He told the retired soldier that while he deeply appreciated his military service he simply had no need for combat people at his firm. His firm was not engage in any combat operations with any other firm or government. That's hard but that's the real world.

I retired from the Army in '85 after serving for 22 years. I got a hearty handshake and a thank you for your service. Granted, I had the GI bill (helped me buy my ranch eventually) and I have always been grateful. Then, I retired from a well paying job as a traffic manager for a large grocery distributor after 20 years. I STILL limp slightly when it gets cold - Russian RPG but what the hell. Life is what it is, but there is no excuse whatsoever, for guys who have served their country to EVER have a hard time finding work. NOT IN THIS COUNTRY.

I was a member of the 101st in Viet Nam but I got hit and got discharged. That said, I was once at the office of a business friend of mine when he turned away a paratrooper who had applied for employment with his firm. He told the retired soldier that while he deeply appreciated his military service he simply had no need for combat people at his firm. His firm was not engage in any combat operations with any other firm or government. That's hard but that's the real world.

I retired from the Army in '85 after serving for 22 years. I got a hearty handshake and a thank you for your service. Granted, I had the GI bill (helped me buy my ranch eventually) and I have always been grateful. Then, I retired from a well paying job as a traffic manager for a large grocery distributor after 20 years. I STILL limp slightly when it gets cold - Russian RPG but what the hell. Life is what it is, but there is no excuse whatsoever, for guys who have served their country to EVER have a hard time finding work. NOT IN THIS COUNTRY.

Well, it depends upon the employment doesn't it? I could not have become an electrical engineer had I not used my G.I. Bill to go to college. Yes, a combat vet might find a job selling insurance, being a laborer, or something along those lines but even becoming a truck driver requires attending a driving school now days.

I don't know what hit me. I was lying prone and firing my rifle as fast as I could and the next thing I knew I was being shaken awake by a doctor in Saigon. My arm and part of my shoulder was gone. We were overrun and I may have been even hit by friendly ordinance that was unloading on our position. Anyways, I knew I could never be worth a hoot working with my hands so I went to college and learned engineering.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back